PDA

View Full Version : Thompson Lathe Tools

Michael Dromey
03-08-2010, 11:11 PM
I am upgrading my lathe tools. I currently use just cheap tools that got me started. Has anyone ever used tools from this site? From everthing that I have found, the metal used is top of the line. Any thought would be great.

http://www.thompsonlathetools.com/default.asp

Thanks,
Mike

Bernie Weishapl
03-08-2010, 11:20 PM
I have several of his bowl and spindle gouges. About as good as you can get. They stay sharp longer than and are excllent quality.

Steve Schlumpf
03-08-2010, 11:36 PM
I have the 5/8" and 3/4" V bowl gouges and they are excellent!

Alan Trout
03-08-2010, 11:56 PM
IMHO best in the biz.

Alan

Jon Lanier
03-09-2010, 12:31 AM
He kinda knows what he's doing with tools. ... maybe....:rolleyes:

Joe Mioux
03-09-2010, 3:07 AM
I am upgrading my lathe tools. I currently use just cheap tools that got me started. Has anyone ever used tools from this site? From everthing that I have found, the metal used is top of the line. Any thought would be great.

http://www.thompsonlathetools.com/default.asp

Thanks,
Mike

cough cough. ;) There are lots of threads here about Thompson tools and the namesake of the business is a member here.

I have a 5/8 bowl gouge and a 3/8 detail gouge. Excellent tools.

Roger Bullock
03-09-2010, 3:26 AM
I posted a thread yesterday asking SCM which Thompson was their GO TO gouge. Got a lot of replies. Might look at that thread for additional info. Also you might click search (tool bar above) and type in Thompson gouge, you will get a lot of information from past post. BTW ordered the 1/2 V-gouge today.

Jack Mincey
03-09-2010, 6:21 AM
Doug makes the best tool in the woodturning world and is a great guy. If he makes the tool I want, he is where I will get it.. I have 9 of his tools from skew's, scrapers, and gouge's and they are all great!!
Jack

Michael Dromey
03-09-2010, 6:52 AM
Thanks for all your response. Silly me, it didn't occur to me to do a search on this site. I will do that for more information.

Allen Neighbors
03-09-2010, 8:07 AM
Doug's Mom passed away a few days ago, so be patient with him as far as shipping dates are concerned...

jason lambert
03-09-2010, 1:22 PM
He is a great guy, very responsive, knows his stuff and the only person I get tools from now. Unless I need something he doesn't make then I may have to go to a lesser brand. He is a one man operation though and sells direct that how he keeps prices low and quality high the down side is he is busy. Oh yea he has a real job also so I am not sure how he does it all.

Reed Gray
03-09-2010, 2:04 PM
Another thing about Doug is you are buying factory direct. This keeps his prices low. You do have to supply or make your own handles, which is what I prefer.

robo hippy

curtis rosche
03-09-2010, 3:33 PM
his handles fit perfectly into a handle from OneWay, which works really well.

Gordon Seto
03-09-2010, 4:36 PM
Doug is also busy developing his own line of handles. He has shown me the prototype of the aluminum handle shaft. They are going to be squarish round (or roundish square) cross section with lead shots; they will not roll off the table. Being a one man and two hands operation, I don't know when can he find additional time to make them.

Mike Minto
03-09-2010, 8:29 PM
a few people here are familiar with his tools - do a search and check out some of the threads...

Michael Dromey
03-09-2010, 11:07 PM
I will be putting in a order soon. My decision is made.