PDA

View Full Version : No.2.5 Maybe Not A Continder But...

James Combs
03-08-2010, 10:57 PM
Here is the finished version of my practice bowl. I guess since my better half likes it it must not be too bad. I know she is not prejudice.:D It developed some minor cracks right around those black spoted areas on the ouside edge of the top rim. A little CA and saw dust fixed them. I don't think I 'll be going to the wood pile for tuning blanks anymore.

It is 4" tall and 5.75" across the upper rim. Only finished with Hut Crystal Coat.

Steve Schlumpf
03-08-2010, 11:42 PM
James - shines up real nice! When the wife likes something you turn - nothing else matters!

Don't give up on the woodpile as a source of turning blanks - some of the best stuff I have ever seen was destined to be burned before someone saved it!

John Keeton
03-09-2010, 6:38 AM
JD, that really finished out well. Looks quite a bit better than I thought the raw wood looked. Good work!

Roland Martin
03-09-2010, 6:52 AM
Quite a unique form, but I do like it. The wood & the finish are very nice.

Bernie Weishapl
03-09-2010, 10:45 AM
Interesting design James. Finish looks really nice.

Baxter Smith
03-09-2010, 12:31 PM
The finish looks nice. Don't give up on the woodpile!:) At least split some of the pieces open that might be the right size. In mine, some would have great spalting and some would have almost none.

Jeff Rich
03-09-2010, 7:31 PM
Dont give up on the wood pile!
Almost all of my turnings come from downed trees destined to be firewood.

David E Keller
03-09-2010, 7:47 PM
Nice job on the finish... I wouldn't eliminate any wood sources. At least with the woodpile, you can burn them when you're done if you don't like them.

James Combs
03-09-2010, 8:08 PM
Thanks guys, it definitely came out better then I was expecting.

James - shines up real nice! When the wife likes something you turn - nothing else matters!

Don't give up on the woodpile as a source of turning blanks - some of the best stuff I have ever seen was destined to be burned before someone saved it!

I may give the wood pile one more chance.;) There is also a stack of apple wood in the same pile. I am going to try some of it and see what it looks like.:)

Nice job on the finish... I wouldn't eliminate any wood sources. At least with the woodpile, you can burn them when you're done if you don't like them.

Good idea. I been needing some heat in the shop. Maybe I'll go for a wood stove verses the gas one I was considering.:rolleyes: