PDA

View Full Version : Anyone bought S&D pipe from US Plastics?

Eric DeSilva
03-08-2010, 9:48 PM
I can't figure this out. US Plastics sells 6" S&D pipe for $1.76 per foot, or about $18 per 10' section (http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=24369&catid=730). The only place near me I can find that stocks and sells the same thing is Ferguson, and they want over $216 for the same thing (http://www.ferguson.com/FergusonSearch/RecordDetails.action?R=54925&search=true).

What am I missing? Is it somehow understood Ferguson is selling 10 packs or something? Maybe that pipe is 6 feet x 10 feet instead of 6 inches? Sure, there's motor freight for US Plastics, but it isn't *that* much. Anyone ever order from these guys?

Thomas Bank
03-08-2010, 11:15 PM
ASTM D-2729 is for residential waste water control, residential, commercial, industrial, and agricultural rain leader and storm runoff systems, radon remediation and other non-pressure applications in 3", 4", and 6" diameters. So it isn't 6' diameter pipe!

The unit of measure is "C" - so I'm assuming that they're talking 100 feet of it - which seems odd that it is more expensive in bulk than the US Plastics price.

John McClanahan
03-08-2010, 11:42 PM
Our company orders from US Plastics with no problems. They have a large building on I-75 in Ohio. The real deal, not just a store front.

Do you have a Menards in your area? They stock 6" sewer pipe at my local store, well, in the yard.

John

Tom Veatch
03-08-2010, 11:50 PM
If Ferguson is local, once you add in the motor freight from US Plastics, the cost may be more comparable.

Eric DeSilva
03-09-2010, 7:39 AM
The unit of measure is "C" - so I'm assuming that they're talking 100 feet of it - which seems odd that it is more expensive in bulk than the US Plastics price.

You may have nailed it--I couldn't find any explanation of the "C" designation and hadn't seen that before. If that really means sold in 100 ft lots (which makes sense, b/c I think a pallet is 10 pcs @ 10' per pc), then their cost is a more reasonable (but still expensive) $2.16 per foot. The answer may lie in the fact that Ferguson's is reselling pipe from Cresline Plastics, whereas US Plastics seems to actually make their pipe.

No Menard's in my area, so it looks like I'm giving US Plastics my business...

Curt Harms
03-09-2010, 8:26 AM
I got mine from a "local legend" place (finkle's hardware--if they don't have it you don't need it) and the price was very reasonable though I don't recall specifics. It's been 10+years.

Eric DeSilva
03-09-2010, 9:50 AM
I got mine from a "local legend" place (finkle's hardware--if they don't have it you don't need it) and the price was very reasonable though I don't recall specifics. It's been 10+years.

I've run some searches in the yellow pages, but I can't find any sort of supply that carries this stuff around me. I have to believe there is a plumbing supply somewhere around here that has this. I just don't seem to have the Google-fu to find it.

Chris Padilla
03-09-2010, 11:45 AM
Try irrigation places in your search as well. I got all my 6" S&D from an irrigation warehouse but I paid around $25 for a 10 footer. I got all my S&D fittings from McMaster-Carr.

Alan Schaffter
03-09-2010, 12:11 PM
Eric- another source WITH CAVEAT is John Deere Landscapes (http://www.johndeerelandscapes.com/storelocator/BullseyePro/search.asp?SearchSubmit=1&Admin=&country=US&ZipCode=&Radius=10&State=VA&ResultsPerPage=20&btnSearch=Search+By+State&BranchNumber=)- They are everywhere- Alexandria, Springfield, Chantilly, etc. (they bought up landscape suppliers across the country).

Anyway, most locations carry 6" ASTM 2729 S&D. Now here is the caveat- if you are a contractor, landscaper, etc. they will sell it to you for less than $20 for a 10' length. If you are not (or can't convince them you are) they will try to charge you more than DOUBLE!!!

Paul Wunder
03-09-2010, 2:50 PM
Eric,

In a recent post I gave a list of the items that I bought at Fergusons in Bridgeport, CT. Among those items were the 6" X 10' lengths of ASTM 2729
at about $1.45/foot. My total order (elbows, wyes, etc.) came to about $345
and they delivered it to my home at no charge. They were qll for my ClearVue.

You may have been quoted a retail price.

Paul

Eric DeSilva
03-09-2010, 2:59 PM
Eric,

In a recent post I gave a list of the items that I bought at Fergusons in Bridgeport, CT. Among those items were the 6" X 10' lengths of ASTM 2729
at about $1.45/foot. My total order (elbows, wyes, etc.) came to about $345
and they delivered it to my home at no charge. They were qll for my ClearVue.

You may have been quoted a retail price.

Paul

The price I showed was off their "pro" website. I haven't tried calling them, but my impression was that "C" means I'd have to buy in 100 ft increments.

Eduard Nemirovsky
03-09-2010, 4:11 PM
Eric, I did went to Ferguson in Chantilly. And this is a their price list
I am not a contractor and maybe these prices are so high compare to wholesale price. I am going to call them and ask about wholesale price - if not - I will order metal from Onieda or PennAir.
Ed.

Chuck Saunders
03-09-2010, 5:49 PM
I paid $1.68/ft from the local plumbing shop (Pyramid Pipe and Supply) I see now they are selling for $1.09/ft. figures:mad:

Eric DeSilva
03-09-2010, 5:53 PM
Eric, I did went to Ferguson in Chantilly. And this is a their price list
I am not a contractor and maybe these prices are so high compare to wholesale price. I am going to call them and ask about wholesale price - if not - I will order metal from Onieda or PennAir.
Ed.

Ed-

Your quote there is for SDR35, which has a wall thickness twice that of PVC S&D pipe. Ask them to amend the quote specifying ASTM-2729 instead of SDR35 and the price should go down a bit--as long as they don't make you buy 100 ft of it. Heck, at $216 for 100' of ASTM 2729, it should still be cheaper, come to think of it...

Eric DeSilva
03-09-2010, 5:56 PM
I paid $1.68/ft from the local plumbing shop (Pyramid Pipe and Supply) I see now they are selling for $1.09/ft. figures:mad:

Bummer. If it makes you feel better, my best case scenario seems to be $1.76. Don't think the $0.67 discount for 80' is worth the drive to KC, however. Even if I could snack on some burnt ends.

Gary Radice
03-10-2010, 7:38 PM
You might try VAMAC. The store in Richmond quoted me something like $1.37 per foot for a 10' pipe. I think they have stores in Leesburg and Manassas. A web search for VAMAC should get you the contact info.