PDA

View Full Version : Pendants

Bernie Weishapl
03-08-2010, 9:22 PM
Well here are 4 more pendants and a set of earrings that I turned today. Top is Osage Orange 2" in diameter, two more purpleheart/maple combo 1 3/4" and below is a cherry pendant 1 3/4" with matching earrings 3/4". Finished with lacquer. I ordered another thin backer plate so I can mount smaller blocks for doing the earrings. I turned the cherry pendant without double stick tape as I just mounted a 2" X 2" X 3" long piece of cherry and turned the pendant. Worked really well. I think I may be in trouble as my wife thinks the cherry set will go like hot cakes.

John Keeton
03-08-2010, 9:35 PM
Bernie, the cherry is nice, but I stand by my previous pic - the laminated ones!! However, I may feel differently about the cherry when it ages a bit.

You are in full production mode now - kiss that retirement goodbye. I can see it now - Bernie's Pendants and Earrings. Global marketing strategy, a website, business manager.....

Ahhhh, the distant and fond memories of a quieter life......

Ted Calver
03-08-2010, 9:40 PM
A vortex within the vortex!!! John is next. Very nice Bernie. I think you broke the code on the earrings. Now to locate some appropriate findings.

Bernie Weishapl
03-08-2010, 9:56 PM
Thanks John and Ted. Yes I hope I didn't create a monster here. My wife is going to wear them to work tomorrow and I am afraid.

Ted I ordered another thin plate for mine for smaller pieces of wood for earrings. I also just mount a piece of wood and turn either the pendant or earrings without using double stick tape. Since the wood screws to the plate I didn't see a need for taping a piece to turn.

Ted Calver
03-08-2010, 9:58 PM
Thanks Bernie...My extra backer plate (with the screw holes) arrived today. Earrings are next!

David E Keller
03-08-2010, 10:01 PM
They are a little like potato chips in that just one will never do, huh?

I like them all, but I'm partial to the osage for some reason.

If you want to have a little fun, try curly maple with food coloring for dye... talk about some wild colors! Texturing and markers make for some interesting adornments as well.

If I can ever get my wife to take the photos, I've got three more sets of earrings finished that I need to post.

My wife approves of the hobby lobby findings(for those of you who don't know, that's what people call the little metal parts that transform these discs into fine jewelry... I had no idea until a few weeks ago).

Baxter Smith
03-08-2010, 10:08 PM
They look nice Bernie. Dug through my cutoff box and salvaged some small spalted maple pieces that hadn't cracked too badly today. Asked my wife what she thought about making pendants out of it. She thought my daughter would like it. I didn't mention I would have to buy something else to make them with.:)

Ted Calver
03-08-2010, 10:09 PM
Sure...Now I've got to go to Oklahoma to get my jewelry findings. I remember a Hobby Lobby near Edmond.

Bernie Weishapl
03-08-2010, 10:22 PM
Thanks again. Yep that is where I found my findings was at hobby lobby in Denver this weekend. They have got about everything you would need.

Steve Schlumpf
03-09-2010, 12:00 AM
Bernie - those all look great! Hope your sales really take off!

Bernie Weishapl
03-09-2010, 11:13 AM
Thanks Steve. I have orders for 12 sets and 6 sets are wanted by the Art Gallery. So guess I had better get to work.:D:rolleyes:

Joshua Dinerstein
03-09-2010, 11:25 AM
Wow those are great Bernie! I agree. I like the laminated Purpleheart and Maple ones. Pretty darn awesome.

Joshua

Terry Murphy
03-09-2010, 12:16 PM
I have been struggling with some pendants. The very first one I made looked OK, but the rest are driving me nuts.
Is the a tutorial somewhere?

Terry:confused:

Al Wasser
03-09-2010, 2:06 PM
Google Yo Yo Spin. He has a short video

pete ryalls
03-09-2010, 2:25 PM
here's a triangular one

penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=49671