PDA

View Full Version : RIDGID BS14002 Expectations

Hugh Jardon
03-08-2010, 8:34 PM
Guys,

I posted this on the RIDGID forum, but I'd be grateful for any views here too.

I have a RIDGID BS14002, and was unhappy at the vibration. I built a very solid mini-workbench for a stand, as I had read that the stand was a vibration inducer. I changed the belt for a link belt. I've balanced the wheels as best I can, they seem to be a little smoother. I set the pulleys to be co-planar, and the wheels as best I can to be co-planar. I think they're still maybe 1/32 or less out though; the blade rides slightly off center of the crown (though still over the crown, just not centered on it).

I still have some vibration, and it's enough to fail the nickel test (but only just). I have an expectation that it should be possible to adjust the saw so it passes that test, and hence will be able to cut smoothly. At present, it would be on a par with a handheld jigsaw.

With the blade off, the motor now spins the lower wheel without too much vibration, and passes the nickel test. With the blade on, it fails. I was therefore thinking of changing the blade, but then I thought of the Grizzly riser kit, which comes with the longer blade. It would be my medium term desire to put a riser block in, so I may as well bite that bullet at the same time, as long as the consensus view is that the saw is capable of smooth cuts (ie being vibration free/minimized).

Ultimately, I'd expect to be able to make a featherboard, using bandsaw kerfs, and have those kerfs be pretty much as smooth as they would be had I cut them on the table saw, albeit much smaller kerfs. At present, they would be somewhat jagged. It's occurred to me that I may be overambitious though. Am I being realistic in my expectations from this saw, or am I trying to put lipstick on a pig?

Joseph Tarantino
03-08-2010, 8:52 PM
there are a few threads on the ridgid forum that have some pretty detailed discussions of remedying the types of problems you are experiencing. IMHO, i'd try two things if you haven't already tried them: (1) get a new blade. the OEM blade, from what i've read, is not terribly good. a good blade will have a tremendous impact on the saw's performance. which leads me to (2) contact iturra design:

http://www.manta.com/coms2/dnbcompany_l6b7r

they don't have a website, but there are few people who know more about bandsaws, especially 14s, than lou iturra. the lennox blade he sold me took my 18" jet from a shaking POS to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67s4qtbxHsk

note the nickel in the beginning of this video. the resaw test was done just so i could get a read on the quality of the cut from lou iturra. and this test was before i attempt to undo the "tuneup" an authorized jet dealer charged me $170 for that left my wheels in a non coplanar state with the top of the lower wheel heeled in (towards the motor) and the bottom of the lower wheel heeled out (towards the door of the lower wheel housing) . good luck.

Hugh Jardon
03-08-2010, 9:34 PM
Thanks!

To tell the truth, the quality of the resaw I get isn't far off what was in the youtube film. That's set a frame round it for me. The nickel test is still there, but if a significantly more expensive saw gets not far off the same result, perhaps I'm not so bad after all.

I do understand the OEM blade thing, but if I were to buy a better blade, then it would be wasted should I get the riser block, which comes with a (longer) blade (albeit probably another POS!).

James Carmichael
03-09-2010, 6:56 AM
I tried the nickel test once on my Ridgid and it passed, steel stand and all. Maybe I'm just lucky.

Only tuning was checking wheel balance (good) and sanding the tires. I probably overdid the sanding.

Resaw quality = blade quality. In 6 years, I still haven't gotten around to trying any of the touted blades like Timberwolf, Woodslicer, or a bi-metal. Starrett carbon steel blades from BCSAW has given best results, but I may be looking elsewhere as the shipping from Canada has gotten prohibitive.

I've used Lennox carbon (whatever they call it), but I'm not as happy with it.

Myk Rian
03-10-2010, 8:49 PM
Here's resawing. A chunk of cherry I turned into a block.
The blade is a 105" TW 1/2" X 3tpi.
I never bothered doing a nickle test. Never heard of it till a day or so ago.