PDA

View Full Version : Delta midi 46-460 tailstock question

David Beeler
03-08-2010, 8:05 PM
Does anyone know if the internal ejecting pin in the tailstock be adjusted. Mine is ejecting before the quill returns to zero or I cannot seat anything in the quill with it on zero. The manual does not mention any adjustments.

Steve Mawson
03-08-2010, 8:13 PM
Mine ejects at 1/8", morse taper for jacobs chuck ejects at 1/2" reading on the quill. Have not looked into adjusting but suspect that is the way it is.

John Keeton
03-08-2010, 8:34 PM
From the looks of the "inards" I don't see how it would be possible to adjust it. Mine has the same characteristic, more so than Steve's, but it hasn't bothered me as I haven't found a reason to rely on the measurement scale.

Rick Hutcheson
03-08-2010, 8:56 PM
My guess is that the tailstock spur that came with the lathe works right. Look at the length of the tapered shaft on your other inserts and cut them off to the same lenght as the original one. Then you can get them to return to 0. My guess is they have a flat tab on the end that is used in some other morse taper setups , not the lathe.

Bernie Weishapl
03-08-2010, 9:39 PM
I think that is pretty much normal. My Jet 1220 does the same thing. Ejects at about 1/8" but hasn't been a problem.

David Beeler
03-08-2010, 10:07 PM
Thanks for the feedback. The tail stock spur that came with the lathe ejects at about 1/8 inch. Not a big deal but would have liked it to have been correct at least with the tools supplied with the lathe.

Leo Van Der Loo
03-08-2010, 10:21 PM
David you can shorten the treaded hollow inner spindle so your tailstock will not run into the MT of your accessories as quickly, and still have no problem ejecting from the tailstock.
I had my spindle all apart to clean and grease it all properly, and while it was apart had a good look at it, as my drill chuck ejects at 1/2" and the same with my Oneway live center, it's not the way I like it, but I haven't cut anything off yet, but might at a later date.