PDA

View Full Version : Pendant #7

Scott Lux
03-08-2010, 7:46 PM
Here is my latest pendant, lucky number 7. My wife requested a large one for her friend's birthday. This is 3" diameter, and 5/8" thick. It's a piece of maple that was part of a church steeple for 100 years. When it finally came down, a friend of mine got some scrap.

Three new (for me) techniques: Coffee ground inlay, brass inserts, and drilling through laterally. I'm not sure about the brass. I cut it with dikes, and I liked the way the facets caught the light, so I left them. I think next time I'll flatten them.

Comments and Critiques welcome. Especially critiques.

Baxter Smith
03-08-2010, 8:01 PM
When I first saw this I thought "A bug".:D Then after counting, more specifically a spider. Hope your wifes friend doesn't have a similar imagination or arachnophobia. Either way, I like it a lot!

Mike Minto
03-08-2010, 8:33 PM
arachnids have 8 legs...

David E Keller
03-08-2010, 8:36 PM
I like the inlay a lot, but I'm not sure I like the brass inserts. It's a nice looking pendant, and at that size, it will be quite a statement piece.

Wally Dickerman
03-08-2010, 8:48 PM
Very nice....instead of the brass you could have installed a pearl or a ruby or just a nice chunk of turquoise..:-))

Wally

John Keeton
03-08-2010, 8:59 PM
Scott, I like the overall inlay pattern, but I think the piece calls out for an accent piece in the space - something of more prominence than the brass. I like the idea of some form of stone, abalone, etc. in the space.

Jim Slovik
03-08-2010, 9:04 PM
I made one and inserted copper wire into pre-drilled holes. I cut the excess off with nippers and then cleaned the edges up with a very sharp bowl gouge. That way the copper inlay followed the contour of the pendant face and did not stand proud.

Bernie Weishapl
03-08-2010, 9:36 PM
Very nice looking pendant. I am not sure about the brass. Just not doing it for me.

Ted Calver
03-08-2010, 9:46 PM
I like the lateral drill idea and the inlay concept too. I'd like the brass better if it was sanded flat with the surface and shaped like the big dipper.

Steve Schlumpf
03-09-2010, 12:05 AM
Looks pretty cool to me Scott! Really like the way the coffee grounds brought out the design!

I also like Wally's suggestions of using stone. Looking forward to your next creation!

Jon Lanier
03-09-2010, 12:24 AM
I like that. What were your settings for you cuts?

Scott Lux
03-09-2010, 8:31 AM
The brass looks better in person, but I agree with the group, it's not great.

I cut the brass, pushed it in with a nail set, and filled over it with CA. Next time, I'll find a way to make a small dome on it, just proud of the surface.

John, I intended to write them down. But of course that didn't happen. I know it was hole #3, and I think it was 0-0, 0-3, 0-6.

One tip with designs. make a mark on your tool rest for consistent placement. I eyeballed this one and it's not very precise.

Roger Bullock
03-09-2010, 8:36 AM
Nice looking pendant. Could you explain the coffee inlay process? My backer plate should be here today and this is something I might want to try.

Scott Lux
03-09-2010, 9:34 AM
I used a small pyramid point tool (any small tool would work) and made a groove. Moved the plate to the next position, and made a (nearly) matching groove. Repeat as needed.

Then I took some coffee grounds (used) dried them in the toaster oven, and pressed them into the grooves. Next, I poured thin CA over the mess. USe as thin as you can get. You want it to penetrate the grounds.

The next day I sanded smooth and patched a couple spots using the same method.

Scott Lux
03-09-2010, 9:35 AM
My wife pointed out to me that this isn't #7. It's #10. I hope that doesn't ruin it for anyone.

Paul Douglass
03-09-2010, 9:58 AM
I like it. Got my little chuck out last night and started look at it. Got to saddle it up and give it another try. First I want to make some templates as described on IAP. I can see where that would be real handy. I'm also pondering some kind of jig for a tool rest so you could keep a constant location/angle.

Greg Ketell
03-09-2010, 11:47 AM
I love it!

Baxter Smith
03-09-2010, 12:07 PM
arachnids have 8 legs...

You are right but with my eyesight, I just put all the lines together!:)

Guess I will have to start making coffee. Grounds for this and grounds for that.:D

Scott Lux
03-09-2010, 12:34 PM
Go to your local coffee shop or diner. They're happy to get rid of them. $tarbucks even gives away bagged grounds for composting/soil amendment during the summer.