PDA

View Full Version : Wood ID help request as per earlier post

Mike Minto
03-08-2010, 7:34 PM
Here's the child of unmarried parents of a blank that's causing me such consternation. Any comments on what kind of wood it might be? Eastern Virginia. Thanks.

David E Keller
03-08-2010, 8:57 PM
Hard to tell from the photo, but locust is rock hard and heavy... not sure the grain looks like locust though.

Mulberry has a yellow coloration, but that doesn't look like mulberry.

Bois d'arc is yellow and hard as a woodpecker's lips, but that doesn't look like it either.

Some kind of oak?

I'm not helping am I?

John Keeton
03-08-2010, 9:06 PM
It could be locust, but the rings sure look wide - if I am looking at the pic correctly. A better pic would help.

On locust, when I first started this turning thing, I picked up a piece of locust from the firewood pile and chucked it in the lathe. I won't make that mistake again!! I see some of you guys talking about turning that stuff and I admire the determination and fortitude, but you can have every last locust tree on our farm!!:eek: Aside from firewood and fence posts, it has zero interest to me!

Mike Minto
03-08-2010, 9:22 PM
Hard to tell from the photo, but locust is rock hard and heavy... not sure the grain looks like locust though.

Mulberry has a yellow coloration, but that doesn't look like mulberry.

Bois d'arc is yellow and hard as a woodpecker's lips, but that doesn't look like it either.

Some kind of oak?

I'm not helping am I?

no, john, you're not :p, but thanks, anyways...

Dennis Ford
03-08-2010, 9:31 PM
Only a wild guess but, the bark looks like it might be magnolia.

John Keeton
03-08-2010, 9:32 PM
no, john, you're not :p, but thanks, anyways...Mike, actually it was David, but I didn't help either, so you were right anyway!!:D

Leo Van Der Loo
03-08-2010, 10:33 PM
This picture doesn't do it, wild guess would be Hickory, it certainly does not look like Locust, either Honey or Black, that's as far as I will go.

Mike Minto
03-08-2010, 10:34 PM
Mike, actually it was David, but I didn't help either, so you were right anyway!!:D

oops! my bad! :o

Roger Bullock
03-09-2010, 3:47 AM
Hard to see in photos as has already been said. Might take a couple of more photos and also include some of that has not been turned showing the bark and wood.

Jeff Nicol
03-09-2010, 6:34 AM
To me with the picture you posted it is very hard to tell. But like Leo said could be hickory or maybe ash. The coloration and grain looks like some of the White or American elm I have, but the bark looks wrong. Need some better pictures of more bark and grain structure.

Sorry not much help,

Jeff

Allen Neighbors
03-09-2010, 8:12 AM
The bark, cambium, and all the rest make me think it's Maple or Aspen. I've got some of both, that look just like that.

Mike Minto
03-10-2010, 12:15 AM
baxter smith recently posted some pics of an apple tree he's turning - looks a lot like my troublesome blank. is apple a very hard wood?