PDA

View Full Version : Newspaper drying rough-outs?

Allen Neighbors
03-08-2010, 7:29 PM
I met another woodturner today, here in the RV Park. He's from Ontario. He explained his way of storing roughouts: Pack the inside of the piece (even vases and HFs) with as much newspaper as he can pack in. Then wrap the outside of the piece until it's about twice as big as it really is. A ten inch bowl looks like a 20" bowl when it's wrapped; He said he loses very few pieces. About 3-4 months, and it's dry enough to turn...??? He says he always has about 30-40 roughouts drying at a time.
That sounds like better luck than with just a couple of paper bags.
What do you think? Anyone have any experience in this?

Bob Bergstrom
03-08-2010, 7:36 PM
Did he say anything about changing the wrappings after a few weeks. I understand the wicking of the newspaper, but would have some concern about mold. A paper bag with newspaper in it seems a lot easier way to access and check progress.

Baxter Smith
03-08-2010, 8:05 PM
Thats very interesting Alan. I tell the kids on my teams to stuff their running shoes with newspaper after getting them soaked if running in the rain. It works amazingly well at drying them out for the next days practice. I shall have to give that a shot.

Allen Neighbors
03-08-2010, 8:42 PM
Did he say anything about changing the wrappings after a few weeks. I understand the wicking of the newspaper, but would have some concern about mold. A paper bag with newspaper in it seems a lot easier way to access and check progress.

He doesn't check them, and doesn't change the paper. He didn't say anything about mold. I'll ask him next time I see him, and report back.:confused:

Bernie Weishapl
03-08-2010, 9:42 PM
Allen I attended a demo by Mike Mahoney. He said he throw a old bath towel in with his when he is in a hurry and changes it every 4 days or so. He said it absorbs the moisture well.

Donny Lawson
03-08-2010, 9:52 PM
The ones I have done lately I have I just put some shavings from the bowl in a bag unless I have some other ones left over and place the bowl in the bag and cover the bowl with more shavings and seal shut for drying. I haven't checked them yet but I was told this would work.Let's hope so anyway.
Donny

Leo Van Der Loo
03-08-2010, 10:05 PM
Allan I have used newspaper for wrapping my bigger bowls, as they are too big for my brown paper bags that I have/use, (I wrap with 2 layers of newspaper).
But I do check them and have to remove the newspaper usually (depends a bit on the temps, type of wood and moisture content of the wood) as the bowls will start getting mildew on them, the problem with the newspaper paper is that it is treated so the ink doesn't suck right through and also not bleed wider, in other words it doesn't behave like the brown paper bags that absorb and let the moisture wick through so there's still drying going on, the mildew is also the reason I do not use shavings or sawdust with the brown paper bag over here, now in your location that might not cause any problems, but here it does, as that's my experience having tried it.
I can not see how a damp environment like he must be creating with the damp paper filled bowl that's preventing any drying other than by absorption, but I have never tried it, I just know the newspaper paper doesn't work for me like the brown paper bag does.

Of course it's easy enough to dry a bowl quicker, the problem is they do crack and split :-((