PDA

View Full Version : Clayton Spindle Sander

Brian Buckley
11-03-2004, 7:14 PM
Are Clayton spindle sanders one of those tools that are worth big price tag? I am looking to upgrade my old benchtop Ryobi. It worked so so for quite a few years even though it had no dust control. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Brian

John Miliunas
11-03-2004, 10:21 PM
Brian, from what I understand, the Clayton is the Festool of spindle sanders! (This is a GOOD thing!) :) However, when I replace my Ridgid spindle/belt sander, it will be with the Grizzly, floor standing unit. I've heard lots of good stuff about it and it's a LOT less expensive than its Jet cousin. Also has a LOT of different size spindles. :cool:

Brian Buckley
11-03-2004, 10:33 PM
John,
I looked at the Grizely on their web site. I could not tell if the table tilted or not. You are right about the better price than the Jet.

Brian

John Miliunas
11-03-2004, 10:48 PM
Brian, yes, the Grizz table tilts, as well! If I recall, I think someone here at SMC owns one, but I'll be dipped if I can remember who. Regardless, if/when it comes up to the top of my priority list and I have enough $$$, that's probably the one I'm going with! :cool:

Mike Evertsen
11-04-2004, 1:29 AM
I have this one from grizzly on my Christams list http://www.grizzly.com/products/item.cfm?itemnumber=G0529

Tony Sade
11-04-2004, 8:10 AM
Thanks for thinking of me, John. I've got the big Grizzly spindle sander, and I can't imagine doing better than this. I own several green tools-cab. saw, band saw, slow speed comb. sander, 8" jointer, and the OSS is the best made of the bunch I think. My only criticism is that DC could be better (not sure how given the sander's configuration), but that's a small price to pay for a stout machine that does exactly what it is supposed to do. The table does tilt, as you mentioned. and it provides both a great extra surface for glue-ups and the like as well as a place to put more stuff when you've run out of bench top space. Love mine.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/item.cfm?itemnumber=g1071&

Ed Lang
11-04-2004, 8:27 AM
Here is another vote for the Grizzly OSS. Mine is fantastic. I connect a 4" hose to the Grizzly dust collector and get almost all of the dust.

Steven Wilson
11-04-2004, 11:32 AM
The large floor standing Griz OSS is quite good, and yes it has a tiliting table. The only reason I would get a Clayton vs the Griz OSS is that the higher end Clayton is a tilting arbor sander instead of tilting table - nice to have feature.