PDA

View Full Version : Eccentric turning question

Chris Rae
03-08-2010, 6:47 PM
First of all, let me say I'm sorry I haven't been around much lately. I'm battling through another bout with cancer. Hopefully I'll be back in the shop soon.

Now my question. I want to try making some pendants, most of the ones I have seen are basically round in overall shape. But, I have seen a few that were oval or kind of triangular shaped. Can someone explain to me how to get those shapes instead of just round?

Thanks,

John Keeton
03-08-2010, 8:40 PM
Chris, apparently I came into the Turners Forum during your sabatical, and I don't have any experience with pendants. But, I do want to wish you well with your health, and I hope you have again beat back the cancer.

Several of the guys are into the pendants currently, and I imagine someone will have an answer for you.

David E Keller
03-08-2010, 8:52 PM
Glad to see you posting, and best wishes for a speedy and complete recovery!

As for pendant shapes, I've only done round. There are backer plates available that allow for offset turning, but I'm not sure how one would get an oval or a triangle. You could get something other than a circle using different center points, but I'm not sure what that shape would be.

You could certainly turn them round and then cut them on a bandsaw or scroll saw to any shape you like... Sounds like a lot of hand sanding though.

Maybe someone else has an idea, or if you figure it out, you can teach all of us.

Bernie Weishapl
03-08-2010, 10:05 PM
Chris great to see you back again and posting. I wish you a speedy recovery and you will beat this.

As for the pendants I just got into it and I think you could like David said use a bandsaw or scroll saw. I turned some earrings today and am thinking about using the scroll saw and a round sanding post. We will see how it goes.

Dick Strauss
03-08-2010, 10:52 PM
Chris,
I wish you the best in your fight with cancer!

If you want something that is not round, you can turn the wood on mulitple centers. So, if you had the pendant mounted to a waste block via the worm screw, you could make use of three holes to make an oval (2 holes along a line plus a center), four holes to make a rounded triangular (3 in shape of triangle plus a center), or five holes to make a rounded square (4 in square pattern + a center).

Try drawing it out with a compass and you'll see what offset and shapes work best. Try keeping the radius of the compass the same but use different center points.

Take care,
Dick

Steve Schlumpf
03-08-2010, 11:45 PM
Chris - haven't tried turning pendants yet - but just wanted to jump in here and wish you well with fight!

Jason Clark2
03-09-2010, 12:40 AM
I've been playing with multi axis work quite a bit lately, including the 2 pendants below that I turned tonight (prior to seeing this thread) send me a PM and I'll be happy to walk you through my process that doesn't require any fancy jigs.

Jason

steven carter
03-09-2010, 8:55 AM
Chris,

Sorry but I don't have an answer to your question. The one thing I do know is that cancer sucks! I'm praying that you continue to have success in your fight with it, I believe that attitude plays a big part in it... you go girl!

Steve

Scott Lux
03-09-2010, 9:30 AM
I have been playing with pendants, and now you've got me thinking. That's never a good sign. :D

Good luck fighting, I'll be praying for you.

Mark Patoka
03-09-2010, 9:59 AM
I made some last minute pendants for Christmas gifts this year (hopefully I took a picture). One was round I made on the lathe but the others I just sanded to various shapes and contours using a belt or spindle sander. Doesn't take long to do it but you do have to watch out for your fingers with the sanders.

Paul Douglass
03-09-2010, 10:10 AM
Chris, go to the IAP website. On the home page lower right corner there is a box that says "Tags". Click on "pendant". There is a thread, about the 8th one down that says "Triangular Pendant". Read down it and it explains how to do it.

I too wish you a speedy recovery.

bob svoboda
03-09-2010, 10:20 AM
Don't know much about eccentric turning, but I know a lot about cancer being a six year survivor myself. Best of luck and never give up and you'll beat it!!

Greg Ketell
03-09-2010, 11:39 AM
Jason looks like he has it down pat for the eccentric turned pendants.

For my not-round pendant I just cut a shape on the bandsaw then used the lathe to add decorations and finally used the belt sander to smooth the edges over.

Good luck on your battle. I hope things continue to go well for you!!

Scott Lux
03-09-2010, 12:35 PM
Chris,

When I first saw your topic, my immediate response was: "Yes, most turners are eccentric."

pete ryalls
03-09-2010, 12:45 PM
hope this helps

penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=49671

and all the best

Pete

Rob Cunningham
03-09-2010, 12:52 PM
Chris,
I don't know about pendents, but I am wishing you a speedy and full recovery. Keep a positive attitude, it helps everything stay in balance.

Chris Rae
03-09-2010, 2:30 PM
Thanks so much guys! First, for the prayers and well wishes. Second, for all the good information. I'll take some time to digest it all, there are some great ideas here. You guys have been making some beautiful stuff.
Thanks again!

Mark Hazelden
03-11-2010, 7:56 PM
Chis,

I'm a little late to this post.

Please know that our prayers and thoughts are with you.

Thought you would be interested in this video on youtube that I have been studying. I don't have it figured out yet, but it is a Vicmarc attachment that allows one to turn ovals on a lathe. It looks a little scary!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5I2Yph57FI

Mark

Michael Dromey
03-11-2010, 10:11 PM
I wish you well with your fight with the "C" word. I look up to you for doing your hobby during your fight. I think that is AWESOME. I think it is important to keep your mind off of your illness. Keep up the good work.