PDA

View Full Version : GO555 or GO555X?

Charlie Gummer
03-08-2010, 3:34 PM
Well...it happened....LOML has finally decided that I've done enough 'shop' projects and it's about time I made something for the house. Specifically she has requested a short bookcase to replace the DVD rack from my college days. You know the one; particle board from one of the big box electronics stores with dowels forming the 'racks'. The kind that falls apart if you look at it funny. That one. My wife hates that rack with a fiery passion.

So we settled on a plan and the construction calls for resawing of 6" wide pieces of cherry. I don't currently have any means of accomplishing said resawing. Thankfully it's tax return time and I live within driving distance of the Bellingham Grizzly outlet.

I've been waffling back and forth for weeks now over the GO555 Vs. GO555X. With either I'd be getting the riser block. With either I'd be adding a woodslicer resaw blade. Are the benefits of the X really worth the $245 increase? I was thinking of either making my own or buying the Kreg resaw fence but am interested to hear if the improvements in the wheel design and the larger table make that much of a difference.

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Charlie

Victor Robinson
03-08-2010, 3:45 PM
I just set up my G0555 yesterday. So I can't comment on usage.

But I do think the upgrades from G0555 to G0555X are worth it IF you have the money. In my case, after my research, I felt the upgrades were worth it but I didn't NEED them right now and my budget was better spread to other tools. As a bandsaw newbie looking to do some resawing like you, I figured the G0555 would suffice and maybe down the road one day I'll buy my last bandsaw if I end up doing lots and lots of resawing and curve-cutting.

If $245 isn't a big deal for you right now I think it's worth it for +1/2HP, cast wheels, a resaw fence, and larger table.

Cary Falk
03-08-2010, 3:54 PM
If you are going to get the Kreg fence, you are adding about another $110 to your overall price. I have the same fence on my G0513X2 that the G0555X has and think it is a great fence. The G0555X gives a extra 1/2 horse and cast iron wheels. That willmake a big difference if you are going to resaw alot. I hade a 14" Delta with aluminum wheels and a 1hp motor and it was slow at resawing. The bigger table is nice also. If you have the funds I say go for it. After a while the extra money spent on the difference will be forgotten and you won't be looking to upgrade.:D

Karl Card
03-08-2010, 3:59 PM
I am not a sales man but if you are "into" woodworking and feel you are going to do it for awhile get the most you can afford. I used to sell computers and people never wanted to hear that but they knew it was true. 6 months down the road most people say "I should of gotten the little better one". Check your budget, shop accordingly. If you have 100 dollars spend 105.lol just kidding but I think you know where I am going with this.

Charlie Gummer
03-08-2010, 4:12 PM
I'm leaning towards the X...I've been on both sides of the 'I should've done xx' argument but for tools I've found more and more that the little extra spent initially pays off at some point.

I haven't read much on the resaw fence that comes with the X and from the little general bandsaw reading I've done it seems a fence that can be compensated for drift is valuable. Is this possible with the Grizzly fence?

Prashun Patel
03-08-2010, 4:41 PM
Either can resaw fine 6". I have the G0555. I've had poor luck tensioning a 3/4" blade. But a 1/2" works fine.

If you see yrself working above 6" often, then wait and get a 17".

If I may ask, why do the plans for a bookcase call for resawing? Is it for the shelves or a veneer? There might be an easier way to skin that cat if so... (far be it from me to stand btn a man and his bandsaw, tho!)

Cary Falk
03-08-2010, 4:42 PM
I haven't read much on the resaw fence that comes with the X and from the little general bandsaw reading I've done it seems a fence that can be compensated for drift is valuable. Is this possible with the Grizzly fence?

There are 4 screws that attaches the cast iron part of the fence to the alunimun part that glides on the rail. I guess you could adjust for drift there. I have never tried it I adjust mine out with the tracking of the blade on the wheels and have never had a problem.

Cary Falk
03-08-2010, 4:46 PM
If I may ask, why do the plans for a bookcase call for resawing? Is it for the shelves or a veneer? There might be an easier way to skin that cat if so... (far be it from me to stand btn a man and his bandsaw, tho!)

Your Creek membership should be revoked for trying to talk a woodworker out of a tool. :D I think the offence will be overlooked due to you suggesting the OP should man up to a 17".:cool:

Charlie Gummer
03-08-2010, 5:34 PM
Heh...much though I'd rather go with a 17" I don't have the means for 230V currently (else I wouldn't be dealing with a 'hybrid' TS either) and as such am stuck with the smaller machines.

The bookcases have a shiplapped (sp?) back which the plans call to have the pieces resawn. I'm also in the planning stages of a Roubo style workbench (I'm glad workbenches don't have an electrical requirement) and have read about using the bandsaw to cut the dovetails on the endcap for the wagon vice.

I'm not opposed to finding a different solution for the backs of the bookcases (cherry ply maybe?) and to be honest would then be able to justify the expense for the Benchcrafted vice set for my workbench.

Neil Brooks
03-08-2010, 5:51 PM
I am not a sales man but if you are "into" woodworking and feel you are going to do it for awhile get the most you can afford.

Thread closed ;)

I LOVE my G0555X ... and I stretched the budget to get it.

Stephen Edwards
03-08-2010, 5:56 PM
I have both of these saws that you're considering. The X version is certainly worth the extra bucks, IMHO.

I can't comment on the blade that you're considering, no experience with it. With a TW 1/2" 3 TPI blade you'll have no problem resawing 6" stock. I've resawn quite a bit of 8"-10" stock with no problem. You have to go a little slower on the larger stock but it works fine.

The resaw fence that comes with the X model is a fine fence. With the BS properly tuned and a good blade installed, I've experienced no drift whatsoever. None.

I've run both 1/2" and 3/4" TW blades on mine. When I wear out the 3/4" blades that I have in stock now I won't buy anymore of those. You can run them, you can tension them and you can get good results (at least with the TW blades). But, as others have said, too, I think that the 1/2" blades are preferable on this saw. They're easier to set up and do a fine job.

What do you get for the extra money?

1. the resaw fence
2. an extra 1/2 HP motor
3. a very nice, stout storage space with a door.
4. a wider table

Good luck with your decision.

Kevin Womer
03-08-2010, 8:41 PM
I have had the G0555 since they first came out. That being said, I am very pleased with it, however, I don't do a lot of resawing but if I did I would go no more than a 1/2" wide blade. If the G0555x had been available at the time I would have gotten it for that amount of money, it is hard to argue agianst HP alone. If you intend on getting the riser block, definately go with the G0555x. The only thing I would modify with the model I have is to go with cool blocks, it with that modification is a pretty good saw.
Regards,
Kevin

Mike O'Reilly
03-08-2010, 8:47 PM
I have the GO555. With a 1/2" timberwolf resaw blade I have been able to slice up quite a bit of white and red oak from logs. Went fairly slowly but the saw never complained. The saw worked great right out of the box. I have built a couple of projects now and it has done everything I have wanted. A riser kit is next on my shopping list.

Mike

Tim Null
03-08-2010, 10:16 PM
I have the Go555X with the riser and 1/2 Woodslicer blade. I used to have the Kreg fence on my Ridgid. The stock fence works just fine. Have no need to look for an aftermarket fence for this saw as of yet. There is a resaw attachment that comes with the saw, but I have yet to use it. I have resawn 6" boards with no problem and virtually no drift.

If the budget allows, go for the X.

Dan Karachio
03-08-2010, 10:44 PM
I still can't get over the post where someone found an X used for $250 on Craigslist. I look all the time, but no such deals in my neck of the woods. Pictures of it all nice and cleaned up are out here somewhere on SMC, but why in the heck would we want to see something that depressing! :-)

Stephen Edwards
03-08-2010, 11:37 PM
I still can't get over the post where someone found an X used for $250 on Craigslist. I look all the time, but no such deals in my neck of the woods. Pictures of it all nice and cleaned up are out here somewhere on SMC, but why in the heck would we want to see something that depressing! :-)

This should depress you for sure! I already had a G055X, purchased new and set up for resawing, when this G0555 showed up on the Nashville CL for $75.00.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=119585

Everytime that I walk into my shop I still can't believe it:D:):D

Charlie Gummer
03-09-2010, 11:31 AM
I was leaning towards the X initially now I'm all but sold. Looks like we'll be heading to Bellingham on Saturday!

Shiraz Balolia
03-09-2010, 12:18 PM
I was leaning towards the X initially now I'm all but sold. Looks like we'll be heading to Bellingham on Saturday!

Charlie - Bellingham store is not open on Saturdays.

Charlie Gummer
03-09-2010, 12:48 PM
Charlie - Bellingham store is not open on Saturdays.

Thanks for the heads up, I'll have to reschedule a bit then.

Charlie Gummer
03-09-2010, 12:52 PM
Can anyone comment as to the size of the box the GO555X comes in? Multiple boxes? Having to do this on Friday is going to pose more of a challenge than I thought.

Shawn Siegrist
03-09-2010, 1:21 PM
Have you looked at the Rikon 14" Deluxe bandsaw from Woodcraft, very nice machine!

Charlie Gummer
03-09-2010, 1:29 PM
I haven't looked extensively at the Rikon ($799.99) as the GO555X ($695) is already approaching the ceiling of my budget. Given how this purchase has evolved, at this point I'm not opposed to considering the Rikon.

Any other thoughts along those lines?

Mark Patoka
03-09-2010, 1:32 PM
I purchased the G0555X last year figuring I wanted to get the extra features right away and not have to trade up later. I was upgrading from a 3/4hp saw that could barely slice butter so I figured 1.5hp would be better.

I considered the Rikon 14" also but because I only have 110V, I read in one of the reviews that the Rikon required more initial load at startup than the Grizzly. I have a problem tripping breakers in my garage with my tablesaw so I went with Grizzly to help prevent that problem. No problems so far and with the TW blades it cuts great.

Stephen Edwards
03-09-2010, 1:42 PM
Can anyone comment as to the size of the box the GO555X comes in? Multiple boxes? Having to do this on Friday is going to pose more of a challenge than I thought.

IIRC, two boxes. One box has the cabinet/base and the other has the saw itself. Not a big deal. The semi driver that delivered the BS helped me slide it out of the back of the semi into my pickup. I and a friend unloaded mine from my pickup onto the shop porch/stoop and then slid the boxes into the shop. Though I could have unloaded it by myself, it was easier and no strain on my back to have the help of another person.

By the way, the BS was very well packaged with styrofoam. It comes with a good manual and assembly is straightforward. Mine had no damage and no missing parts.

Charlie Gummer
03-09-2010, 2:19 PM
IIRC, two boxes. One box has the cabinet/base and the other has the saw itself. Not a big deal. The semi driver that delivered the BS helped me slide it out of the back of the semi into my pickup. I and a friend unloaded mine from my pickup onto the shop porch/stoop and then slid the boxes into the shop. Though I could have unloaded it by myself, it was easier and no strain on my back to have the help of another person.

By the way, the BS was very well packaged with styrofoam. It comes with a good manual and assembly is straightforward. Mine had no damage and no missing parts.

Thanks for the info. The reason I ask is I may have to use my car (2008 VW GTI) to pick it up. I'm able to fold the seats down but am worried about the dimensions of the boxes. Do you happen to remember ballpark dimensions?

Mark Patoka
03-09-2010, 2:20 PM
To piggyback off of Stephen, yes it comes in two boxes that can easily fit in a pickup truck. The boxes are basically the size of the stand and the size of the bandsaw itself if I remember correctly. My delivery driver had a lift truck and pallet rolled the two boxes into my garage. The heaviest part is needing a friend to lift the bandsaw itself onto the stand. I think I asked my wife to help hold something when I added the riser block. Mine was packaged with no damage either.

Neil Brooks
03-09-2010, 2:30 PM
The heaviest part is needing a friend to lift the bandsaw itself onto the stand.

OOF!

Oh, that was NOT a fun thing to do, alone.

Note: when it came time to hang the 92 pound JDS Air Filtration unit from my joists ... I finally got smart, and bought a low $$ Harbor Freight block and tackle.

Highly recommend something like that for such maneuvers ... now :rolleyes:

Robby Tacheny
03-09-2010, 3:07 PM
I think that if you folded the seats down in a car, you could fit the GO555x. I remember thinking that it wasn't as big as I expected. Also, the banding around the box makes it easier to handle.

Lifting the top onto the riser block was not fun by myself. Its worth waiting a week to find some help. Next time. . .

I really like my GO555x. It was setup perfectly out of the box, has a nice fence, and cuts nicely too. I have had mine for almost two years now.

-R

Michael Titus
03-09-2010, 6:59 PM
I have the G0555X and I'm very happy with it.

glenn bradley
03-09-2010, 8:08 PM
I think you have gotten a lot of good information here. I just wanted to drop in and say:

"Curse you for living so close to a Grizzly site, curse you I say".

;-)

Victor Robinson
03-09-2010, 8:10 PM
Thanks for the info. The reason I ask is I may have to use my car (2008 VW GTI) to pick it up. I'm able to fold the seats down but am worried about the dimensions of the boxes. Do you happen to remember ballpark dimensions?

Just shoot Grizz an email asking for the package dimensions. They'll get back to you quick! Sure beats taking a trip over only to find you can't get your new beauty home.

Van Huskey
03-09-2010, 9:41 PM
Sometimes I get a chuckle when we (I am included) forget we are on the internet, everything is there for the asking, then again you ask and got it.

http://cdn1.grizzly.com/specsheets/g0555x_ds.pdf

The weight and dimensions fo each crate are there.

Charlie Gummer
03-09-2010, 11:25 PM
Sometimes I get a chuckle when we (I am included) forget we are on the internet, everything is there for the asking, then again you ask and got it.

http://cdn1.grizzly.com/specsheets/g0555x_ds.pdf

The weight and dimensions fo each crate are there.

Very true comment. I frequently pride myself on my information gathering ability...seems like that degrades substantially when I get all worked up over the prospect of a new tool ;) Thanks for the link!

Van Huskey
03-09-2010, 11:36 PM
Very true comment. I frequently pride myself on my information gathering ability...seems like that degrades substantially when I get all worked up over the prospect of a new tool ;) Thanks for the link!

I mentioned this to my wife because we will often both be on a laptop and ask the other a question and we google the answer for the other one. Then knowing what a car geek I am and how much I love to find things on the internet she ask me if I got the dimensions of the GTI with the seats down... I said no I am not that much of a geek, I got a grin and the "have you ever met yourself?" :o