PDA

View Full Version : Latest sloppy shop pics

Kirk (KC) Constable
11-03-2004, 3:52 PM
I happened to look at the last 'shop tour' I posted on Badger Pond the other day...in which I bragged about what a big mess it was. Well now. I've since started rearranging a bit, primarily to make room for new stuff, and realized it's prolly messier than it's ever been. I still have the same 16x44 space, and no room to do anything...admittedly due to my complete lack of 'cleaning' discipline. :(

I'll skip the verbage and just post a bunch of pics and let 'em speak for themselves. It's really a lot sloppier than it looks. The area of the lathe is only 'clean' because I had to rip out the cabinet the old lathe was on, and I haven't turned anything since...elsewise it would be just as embarrassing as the rest of the place.

http://www.kcwoodworks.net/newshop1.jpg

http://www.kcwoodworks.net/newshop2.jpg

http://www.kcwoodworks.net/newshop3.jpg

http://www.kcwoodworks.net/newshop4.jpg

http://www.kcwoodworks.net/newshop5.jpg

http://www.kcwoodworks.net/newshop6.jpg

http://www.kcwoodworks.net/newshop7.jpg

http://www.kcwoodworks.net/newshop8.jpg

http://www.kcwoodworks.net/newshop9.jpg

http://www.kcwoodworks.net/newshop10.jpg

Dennis McDonaugh
11-03-2004, 4:05 PM
Glad to see there are some constants in the world ;)

Greg Narozniak
11-03-2004, 4:08 PM
Glad to see there are some constants in the world ;)

Ditto :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Chris Padilla
11-03-2004, 4:22 PM
Well, I've been there, KC, but I've come back and I hope never to go there again!! Don't you ever just get sick to death of not being able to find stuff or have to move pile after pile to get to things or clear bench space? :)

Dave Avery
11-03-2004, 4:28 PM
KC,

Thanks...... I feel so much better about my shop now

Tyler Howell
11-03-2004, 4:33 PM
Yes KC. I would agree it is ummmm,, welllllll aaaaah.........unique!!!! That's it, unique.

My only concern is your safety and I know when things get on the "unique" side in my shop stuff starts falling at the most in opertune times.:o
PS while I got you on the line do you like your compressor and would you buy another??? Fleet Farm has them on sale!

Alan Turner
11-03-2004, 4:37 PM
Hey, I all to frequently resemble that.
Alan

Steve Stube
11-03-2004, 4:53 PM
Thanks for posting the photos, I'm feeling better already about the condition of my messy woodshop.

Have to admit that I shuttered to see the spinny thing lined up with the window. If you turn some serious chunks you may want to consider adding a frame with hardware cloth as part of your safety program. Ref. in high school a gonnabe lamp (bowling pin) was hardly slowed down by a 4' square plate glass window as it left the woodshop and came to rest in the hallway. As a result all the lathes were turned 90 degrees to the windows and partitions added between each one.

Maurice Ungaro
11-03-2004, 5:11 PM
...I take it your finishing booth is elsewhere?

Maurice

Steve Clardy
11-03-2004, 5:18 PM
Mine gets so disorganized I can't lay anything done. Everything is already covered up. So I gotta stop and clean up and put up.
What I see KC is, you gotta cut down on your golfing, riding fast cars in the car rally's, don't vacation in the bahamas so much, get back down to 2 girlfriends instead of 4:eek:, quit spending time doing tax papers and bookwork, etc etc.
Then maybe you'll have time to organize. lol:D:D:D

Steve:)

Michael Stafford
11-03-2004, 5:28 PM
My concern is that when the shop starts looking like that I feel like there are other things living in those piles, slithering, biting, creepy, crawly, scaly, scurrying, evil, nasty, slimy, ugly, smelly, putrid things...

Dan Mages
11-03-2004, 5:43 PM
Don't worry. You are in good company. In fact, my basement floor is covered in a large pile of ash and walnut dust and shavings. ;)

Dan

Mike Cutler
11-03-2004, 6:42 PM
Nice Shop KC. It may be messy at the moment, but I've seen enough pictures of your work to know it's no reflection of the final product. I give ya' 3 stars for the "Bombed out Beirut " motif you have going there. ;)

Tom LaRussa
11-03-2004, 7:03 PM
I'll skip the verbage and just post a bunch of pics and let 'em speak for themselves. It's really a lot sloppier than it looks. The area of the lathe is only 'clean' because I had to rip out the cabinet the old lathe was on, and I haven't turned anything since...elsewise it would be just as embarrassing as the rest of the place.
Seems to me you have two major problems going on there.

First, you have a lot of tools sitting on stands that don't have any storage space built in underneath. You need to build a bunch of cabinets -- or at least shelves -- under those things so you have room to hide stuff. :D

Second, you have waaaaay too much wood cluttering up the place. You need to strap all that stuff together and stick it on a truck. I'll take really good care of it, I promise. :rolleyes:

Norman Hitt
11-03-2004, 7:56 PM
Hey KC,
maybe you just need to see if one of those Big Tool Mfr's. would make you a "Combo- Tree Chipper/ Dust Collector" Machine. Heck, you've got more wood in your Shop, than we've got in all of West Texas. I'm Jealous.

Jim Becker
11-03-2004, 9:19 PM
maybe you just need to see if one of those Big Tool Mfr's. would make you a "Combo- Tree Chipper/ Dust Collector" Machine. Heck, you've got more wood in your Shop, than we've got in all of West Texas. I'm Jealous.
LOL! I recently used the PTO-mount chipper/shredder that Dr. SWMBO bought for the tractor to, umm....make some chips from shop scraps that weren't useful for anything including kindling! Worked great...and it should with a 23hp diesel engine turning it...

KC, I think you have a few little things to straighten out, but over all, it looks like...a shop.:p

Louis Bois
11-03-2004, 9:26 PM
ER...there is something REALLY wrong with that shop...did anyone spot it?!?

You have a hand tool in there...a yellow-plastic-handled saw hanging in the back...on the wall...look closely. This seems completely out of place in that otherwise "hand-tool-free" zone...oh the shame...the horror!!! Makes me cringe.

Nice wood stash BTW...in that corner...in this corner...under that pile...:eek::D

...I disregarded the clamps in my handtool assessment...

Don Selke
11-03-2004, 9:28 PM
Kirk, as a retired professional firefighter all I can say is I sincerly hope you get rid of that combustion load. All it takes is ignition source, fuel and Oxygen to generate something that can be lethal to you and your family.

John Miliunas
11-03-2004, 10:08 PM
Ahhhhhhh....I feel better now! Thanks for the pics, Kirk! :D But, like someone else said, we've SEEN your work and it definitely does NOT reflect the present condition of your shop! :) :cool:

Don Henthorn Smithville, TX
11-03-2004, 10:23 PM
The thing I don't understand is with all that mishmash of wood, tools and supplies, I don't see any sawdust and shavings. I also don't recall seeing that router by the door. Has something changed in your life that you aren't telling us about? We have a right to know.

Jerry Olexa
11-03-2004, 10:36 PM
You make me feel much better about the condition of my workspace. My wife calls it messy but I like it. I do better on projects though when I'm not tripping over materials, mess, etc. Enjoy your shop!

Bruce Page
11-03-2004, 10:38 PM
Ah yes, I remember that tour! Pics 1 thru 4 had me a little worried, but pics 5 thru 10 put me back at ease. Considering the beautiful work that comes out of there, I’d say leave it just like it is! ;)

Wouldn’t this be a boring world if we were all the same!:p

Keith Christopher
11-03-2004, 10:41 PM
Oh and it's time to change your disc sander pad. :)

Fred Chan
11-03-2004, 10:56 PM
And I was beginning to wonder if anyone actually used their shops.:rolleyes: :)

Pete Rosenbohm
11-03-2004, 11:01 PM
Tyler you say UNIQUE i agree with KC it is SLOPPY:D :D :D of course i'm not going to show you mine cause i can't open the door:D :D :D

Jim Young
11-03-2004, 11:09 PM
Holy cow. Don't think that my shop was ever that messy, but then again you turn out a lot more stuff and better looking than me. I bet if I spent more time in my shop I could mess it up a little more. :)

Mark Singer
11-03-2004, 11:43 PM
Kirk,

My shopis almost starting to look neat....

Bart Leetch
11-04-2004, 1:17 AM
KC you've got some real bad habits. (old Pics)

Bart Leetch
11-04-2004, 1:21 AM
You know I think you've improved a little KC. :D

Bart Leetch
11-04-2004, 1:24 AM
Just a few more. :)

Just thought I'd share what us old Ponders know & have seen in the past. So do you'all think KC has improved. I do. :D :eek: :D

Kirk (KC) Constable
11-04-2004, 2:36 AM
You guys kill me. :p

It really is worse than ever before...it's just the couple of recently 'cleaned' areas that detract from the overall effect. :rolleyes:

To Don...the old Makita router is still on the floor by the door, somewhere under the pile of styrofoam behind the stack of 8/4 mesquite in one of the first pictures. I almost tossed it during the 'make room' effort a couple months ago.

I do spray finish in there...I have some cheap felt backed plastic tablecoths to throw over the tablesaw, which is pretty much the only work table...and a fan that blows out the door.

The place is most definitely a firetrap, but it's a standalone structure (a term I use loosely)...so I'm not horribly concerned about loss of life. I guess it'd be bad for the mousey that's moved in recently, and the transient skunk that visits underneath now and again. :eek:

As to storage for junk, I happen to have practically a whole kitchen worth of 'changes' cabinets :mad: to bring home once I get these doors done and the job finished. I suspect I can populate them.

Thanks for all the comments...

Kelly C. Hanna
11-04-2004, 7:13 AM
Wow...some of those pics look scary! Thanks for making my shop look great!

Glenn Clabo
11-04-2004, 7:30 AM
Not much more to say than....
http://employees.www.uprr.com/upec/clubnews/club3/aug01/images/1st.gif

Steve Jenkins
11-04-2004, 8:10 AM
KC glad to see the note and know that you are ok.When you said you couldn't make it up here for the bbq I didn't realize you were digging you're way out after a hurricane. At least it looks like there wasn't much structural damage. Now that hurricane season is over maybe you can make a little progress. Steve

Mark J Bachler
11-04-2004, 8:57 AM
Ok here's the deal: fly me down in January when it's 30 below here in Wishconchsin; you give me a place to crash & 2 meals a day for a week or so, and I'll have that shop so clean you could eat off the floor, sort the lumber out by species & grade, sharpen and stow away the tools, vacum up all the sawdust, Hang all the clamps, and sort the sand paper and screws. Deal?

Oh yea: I'll need beer.http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/icons/icon12.gif

John Miliunas
11-04-2004, 9:07 AM
Ok here's the deal: fly me down in January when it's 30 below here in Wishconchsin; you give me a place to crash & 2 meals a day for a week or so, and I'll have that shop so clean you could eat off the floor, sort the lumber out by species & grade, sharpen and stow away the tools, vacum up all the sawdust, Hang all the clamps, and sort the sand paper and screws. Deal?

Oh yea: I'll need beer.http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/icons/icon12.gif

Hey Kirk, sounds like Mark's got on heckuva' deal for you there! :) Only one slight correction: He's from Wisconsin. He'll be needing LOTS of beer! :D A single truckload or so should have you covered. The meals are easy, too; Just order in a bunch brats and he'll be happy! :) :cool:

Doug Keener
11-04-2004, 9:54 AM
I sure feel a lot better now that I saw your shop pics. I was just thinking of doing some cleaning. All of a sudden I think I'm done. As they say, "Good looks are only skin deep!" Back to work now. :)
Doug

Russell Svenningsen
11-04-2004, 10:14 AM
Am I the only one who is just itching to get in there and clean that up for KC? That kind of mess happens to me too, then I go into some sort of "cleaning coma"(it must be a Zen thing), and before I know it, 4 hours have gone by, the shop is completely cleaned up, Norm is on the shop TV, and a cold beer is open in my hand. A very, very nice experience.

Can I get an "Amen"?

Next SMC gathering should be in Leesville. I'm just OC enough to want to get in there for a few hours. I could go to Defcon 4 and bring the wife, but I wouldn't want to overwhelm him. :D

Carole Valentine
11-04-2004, 10:34 AM
You do make me feel so much better! :D Think I'll go out and start cleaning up though.

John Miliunas
11-04-2004, 10:56 AM
Can I get an "Amen"?

AMEN! :) :cool:

Bill Esposito
11-06-2004, 7:54 AM
I thought you said messy?

Bart Leetch
11-06-2004, 11:03 AM
Hey KC

Get your tools outta there I'm coming through with a D7 Cat I'm sure I could make room for a new shop in about 3 passes. I know I could make a nice flat spot the Washington National Guard trained me very well. :D :eek: :D

Frank Pellow
11-06-2004, 11:28 AM
Kirk, the only shop that I have seen that was as full and clutered as yours was my basement shop. And, it got so bad, that I built a new shop in the back yard.

I would like to add your sop to the list that I maintain in the thread:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=12202. Please let me have additional characteristics such a ceiling heigh and the location of the shop.

Jason Roehl
11-06-2004, 1:06 PM
KC, do you want me to post photos of my shop so that you can feel better about yours? All horizontal surfaces are completely covered (with the exception of a narrow path on the floor and the freezer--wifey would kill me). Dust, chips, tools and wood everywhere. I need to do some serious cleaning before I can do anymore woodworking. Even minor tasks require some mess rearrangement before I can do them right now. I need to make some storage....I need to make some storage...I need to make some storage...

P.S. I am not a Wisconsinite, but I will also clean for brats, beer and boarding.