PDA

View Full Version : Best Vacuum chuck system for Laguna 18/47 or Grizzly 18/47

Roger Chandler
03-08-2010, 2:32 PM
Hello all,

I want to purchase a vacuum chuck system, and have just recently purchased a Grizzly G0698 18/47 lathe, which is the same as Laguna 18/47, and wanted to know how owners of the Laguna 18X47 have adapted a system for their model, and if there are any particular issues with the setup.

I have never had a vacuum system, and my knowledge in this area is minimal, so all help is solicited and appreciated. Thanks :)

Steve Schlumpf
03-08-2010, 3:14 PM
Roger - there are two tutorials in the Articles and Reviews Forum to give you some info on how to build your own. If you wanted to buy a complete system - then check out Tom Steyer's site: http://www.jtturningtools.com/

Jim Slovik
03-08-2010, 3:16 PM
Roger,
Try JT Turning Tools. They don't currently list anything for your lathe but it's probably worth a try.
Jim

Roger Chandler
03-08-2010, 4:05 PM
Roger - there are two tutorials in the Articles and Reviews Forum to give you some info on how to build your own. If you wanted to buy a complete system - then check out Tom Steyer's site: http://www.jtturningtools.com/

Steve,

Thanks for the info - I sent Tom an email inquiry, and I await his reply. I will get this all worked out before long. I just need to get educated in what the riight way to go about this is.

I appreciate your response, and I will also look usp the tutorials you spoke of as well.

I took a look at your post where you showed your system. Not shabby at all! Quite nice! I will certainly keep your design in mind as I get the info back from Tom, and I like making things myself when I can. My concern is he will be able to make a rotary adapter that will fit my particular model.

Bernie Weishapl
03-08-2010, 5:00 PM
Roger I just bought Tom Steyers complete system. I bought the handwheel kits for the Nova and Jet 1220 so I can switch them between the two. Nice system and works really well.

Roger Chandler
03-08-2010, 7:09 PM
Roger I just bought Tom Steyers complete system. I bought the handwheel kits for the Nova and Jet 1220 so I can switch them between the two. Nice system and works really well.

Thanks Bernie,

It is nice to see what works well for others.

earl timmons
03-08-2010, 7:36 PM
Roger as you know from other conversations I have a vacuum chuck on my 2 year old Laguna. I got my rotary adapter and hubs from Tom at JT. Your Grizzly is configured like my Laguna. The new Lagunas have an extended spindle and a hand wheel. Mine was a custom job and I expect yours would be to.

Steve Mawson
03-08-2010, 8:30 PM
Agree with Steve, Tom does a great job with the equipment that he sells and definite knows what he is doing. Don't think he has the adapter for Grizzly yet but my know what he needs to get one made. He checks email often any time I have tried to get him, his phone is also listed on his web site. Great guy to talk with. Robust is now offering Toms vac parts for their lathes.