PDA

View Full Version : dado blade size on a Delta TS

mark kosse
03-08-2010, 1:38 PM
I noticed in my Delta manual that it states do not use larger than a 6" dado blade. Clearence doesn't seem to be an issue in the saw. I guess speed could be an issue, but wouldn't that be a function of the blade and not the saw? I mean the arbor would still be rotating at the same speed and anything less than 10" would be moving slower.

I have an 8" Craftsman Excaliber blade I'd like to use.

Rod Sheridan
03-08-2010, 2:04 PM
Think torque.

If you require a certain amount of force at the tip of the saw blade to cut the wood, the longer the arm (blade radius) the more torque on the saw arbour.

I would expect that it's a relatively small saw with regard to motor power?

Regards, Rod.

mark kosse
03-08-2010, 2:15 PM
Rod, Good thought, but it's a Delta Contractor saw with 1.5HP so I'd say HP isn't an issue, especially for dados.

Von Bickley
03-08-2010, 2:32 PM
Mark,

I think a lot of manufacturers recommend 6" dado's for contractor saws and
8" dado's for cabinets saws with 3 HP motors because of power.

I have a Delta contractor saw and I use a 8" stack dado cutting set on my saw and it works fine.

Rod Sheridan
03-08-2010, 3:04 PM
Rod, Good thought, but it's a Delta Contractor saw with 1.5HP so I'd say HP isn't an issue, especially for dados.

That's it, 1.5HP is small for dadoes unless you're very carefull.

A 3/4" dadoe cutter is at least six times as wide as a sawblade, in a saw that has a tough time running a standard kerf blade in thick material.

That said I have a 4HP saw that will only accept a maximum dadoe diameter of 7 inches.

Since dadoes are normally shallow, a 6" set shouldn't be an issue.....Regards, Rod.

mark kosse
03-08-2010, 8:01 PM
It seems power has it. My little feeble mind never thought of that as a possible reason. While dados may be much wider than a regular cut my thinking was that they are also shallower and require equal power. I've never had one slow my 1.5hp unisaw at work down.

Thanks for setting me strait folks!

scott spencer
03-09-2010, 7:53 AM
If you've already got the dado set, I'd give it a try.