PDA

View Full Version : Small wood gloat

bob svoboda
03-08-2010, 1:26 PM
Over the last month or so I have been lucky enough to "trip over" some FREE wood. In the shed is Elm topped with Cherry and Yew. On the ground is some big leaf Maple.

John Keeton
03-08-2010, 1:55 PM
Nice haul, Bob!! I have heard it said that most of the Big Leaf maple is figured in some way. I have also heard that yew is difficult to keep from splitting. Being an "easterner", I wouldn't know, but either way, you have some very nice stuff there.

Steve Schlumpf
03-08-2010, 3:16 PM
Wow - nice gloat! Great looking wood! Looking forward to seeing what you turn out of it!

Mike Minto
03-08-2010, 4:31 PM
small? that's a nice gloat. now to let the maple spalt...

Thom Sturgill
03-08-2010, 4:33 PM
Be careful with the yew, it can be poisonous. Depending on species it can be mainly in the bark, leaves and nut, but even the dried wood can contain toxin. Not fatal to humans, but still take care while sanding and don't use the curlies around animals. Horses are supposed to be especially vulnerable. Pacific yew was harvested for Toxol used as a cancer treatment in chemotherapy. I turned a little when I made a wand for someone that specifically requested yew.

Bernie Weishapl
03-08-2010, 4:56 PM
Nice gloat. Looks like a great load of wood. I agree that when turning and sanding the yew wear a respirator if you can.

Allen Neighbors
03-08-2010, 7:33 PM
Great haul! Happy turning!!

David E Keller
03-08-2010, 8:45 PM
Great haul. I agree with Mike that at least some of the big leaf ought to get a chance at spalting.