PDA

View Full Version : Sawstop - where'd u get yrs?

Prashun Patel
03-08-2010, 11:29 AM
I'm considering purchasing a Sawstop.
Just curious where u've found the best prices.

Please don't let this be a debate on the merits of SS. I've just decided it's right for me...

Brent Ring
03-08-2010, 11:36 AM
Watching this thread closely as I am very near a purchase myself!

Anthony Anderson
03-08-2010, 11:41 AM
No sales on SawStop. You might get some extra thrown in, but not a lower price. I didn't get anything extra, I didn't really ask though. Maybe you could negotiate that into the purchase. At least try to get delivery to your house/shop, that would be a great help.

I purchased mine at the local Acme Tools/Electric, formerly Tool Crib of the North (before Amazon purchased that name store).

Good luck. Bill

Joe Jensen
03-08-2010, 11:56 AM
I purchased my Industrial SS about a year after they were introduced. I bought it from a local dealer and at that time there were no charges for shipping from SS to the dealer. I tried for extras including free delivery to my shop 8 miles away and the best I could do was to get the delivery fee cut from $100 to $50.

Dan Lee
03-08-2010, 12:20 PM
Not sure you'll find varying prices try to negotiate addtional servce.
I dealt with a local dealer for my ICS 3 years ago. They provided all set up and delivery. It was wheeled off the lift gate into my shop ready to go

John Coloccia
03-08-2010, 12:40 PM
I bought mine from Woodcraft. Generally, I buy everything through my local Woodcraft that I can. They always take truly excellent care of me. I never worry about a Woodcraft purchase. If the mfg. doesn't take care of me, my local Woodcraft will.

My SS had two parts missing. Actually, they sent me four of one part instead of 2 of one and 2 of another (base stiffeners...no big deal). My local Woodcraft took the two stiffeners off their own saw and gave them to me to get me up and running. When the 2 from SS came in, I gave them to Woodcraft and they installed them back on their saw.

Small things like that keep me going back. Of course, the stores are individually owned, so the fact that my local one is fantastic doesn't mean they're all like that.

Mike Henderson
03-08-2010, 12:40 PM
I got mine from Woodcraft at regular price.

Mike

Harley Lewis
03-08-2010, 1:13 PM
I also bought my saw from Woodcraft. It is my understanding that Sawstop does not allow dealers to sell their products less than others. We had a dealer in Fort Smith Arkansas that lost their franchise with Saw Stop for that reason. You also have to buy local, you cannot buy from a store that does not have authority to sell in your region.

Paul Ryan
03-08-2010, 1:16 PM
I could tell you but then I would have to......... awe heck who cares anymore.

I bought mine directly from sawstop. But that was a year ago during the field test program, before regular saws were in production. Sawstop doesn't sell directly to the public to protect their dealers. They also price protect their saws. So the SAW should be the same price from dealer to dealer. To find a dealer go to SS web site. But dealers get a break on shipping if they buy X amount of saws. So a small dealer may try to charge you shipping, but a most larger dealers will wave the shipping.

Another way to save a little is to travel to a near state that has lower sales tax. For example sales tax is 7.375% in MN but only 4% in SD. That would have saved me a little over $100 on the whole package if I bought from a dealer. It doesn't pay if you have to travel, you should support your local dealer. But if you live 30 miles from a different state it might be worth it.

Sawstop is also running a promo right now, get 2 free titanium blades when you buy a new PCS saw. Until the end of April. The titanium blades are good blades I have heard. I have not tried mine, but the carbide on them is nice and large, should last a while. The stock blade is ok but nothing special.

Mike Heidrick
03-08-2010, 1:30 PM
I bought mine from a localish Woodcraft in 2006 - at 2006 prices. That Woodcraft is now closed. I would question the shipping. Back then I paid shipping to the store and then drove to go get it. I have heard some stores do not charge shipping if they have them in stock.

Jim Dailey
03-08-2010, 2:48 PM
I got lucky.....

I bought my 5 hp ICS off Craig's List :D

jim

jason lambert
03-08-2010, 2:52 PM
I see you are in NJ. I got mind about 2 years ago from Force Machinery in union, NJ. Great price good people and a great saw. Would do it again in a blink. Call Jim he is the owner.

Brian Tax
03-08-2010, 3:03 PM
I know Woodcraft sends out a 10% off coupon at least once a year that includes power tools (bought a band saw with it a couple of years ago). Does anyone know if that excludes SawStop?

Michael MacDonald
03-08-2010, 5:14 PM
I am pretty sure that coupons don't include SS... or festool.

When I bought mine, I called three different places (two woodcrafts and berlands). Each place acted like I was a SS narc, looking to take away the distribution licences from a naughty, discounting dealer. I ended up making my decision based on sales tax. Chicago/Cook County has some ridiculous taxes, so I went to a Woodcraft outside Cook.

Woodcraft has shipped the front rail somewhere before selling it to me, and it has been damaged--the angle iron and the tube. SS shipped me another, and I killed it by stripping the screws. SS shipped me a third, and it got damaged by FedEx... but only a little. I had to buy a tap & die kit to keep from stripping the screws on that too, and I am using that today. Otherwise, no issues in the purchase.

Jay Jolliffe
03-08-2010, 8:28 PM
I've used one, great saw but I don't own one.

Ron Carlton
03-08-2010, 9:14 PM
Woodcraft...no discounts. They did help load it in my truck!:)

Ray Newman
03-08-2010, 9:18 PM
All the sales flyers that I rceive from W'dCraft specifically exclude SawStop and Fe$tool....

Joe Mioux
03-08-2010, 9:20 PM
I got mine at Woodcraft as well.

joe

Thomas L. Miller
03-08-2010, 9:46 PM
I got my ICS from Woodcraft a year ago. They didn't discount the price of the saw, bud did make me a deal on a Freud dado set. I was happy. Just squeeze the trigger and do it. You won't regret it. Good luck!

Don Bullock
03-08-2010, 10:47 PM
Not sure you'll find varying prices try to negotiate addtional servce.
I dealt with a local dealer for my ICS 3 years ago. They provided all set up and delivery. It was wheeled off the lift gate into my shop ready to go

I had a similar experience with my 5hp SawStop from Eagle Tools in LA. If you're going to spend that much on a saw try to get as much service from the seller as possible.

Keith Albertson
03-08-2010, 11:06 PM
Got mine from the local Woodcraft. Same price as another tool dealer in my area. Sawstop's prices are tightly controlled. Woodcraft saved me shipping charges, which the other dealer was going to charge me. At my woodcraft, they get free shipping to the store if they place an order of 3 or more saws. So I just had to wait a few weeks while orders built up, but saved a bunch of money.

Callan Campbell
03-08-2010, 11:09 PM
Quote- I ended up making my decision based on sales tax. Chicago/Cook County has some ridiculous taxes, so I went to a Woodcraft outside Cook. quote-

The Woodcraft that WAS in Palatine, and moved to Libertyville stated taxes as a large reason for the moving of their store. Their new magnetic "hand out" signs with the new address for everyone has the wording on the bottom of the freebie- No Cook County Sales Tax. They really took this issue to heart. Glad to hear you got your Saw Stop working after all that "extra" work provided free of charge by the shipping companies.
And yeah, appox $400 in sales tax if I had bought a PCS with all the options I wanted when I was thinking about it a few months ago.

Darrell Bade
03-09-2010, 9:34 AM
I bought mine from an Industrial Supply Store. First thing he did was check to see if my address was in his territory. None of this was at my prompting, but I did not pay any shipping and they delivered to my shop on a liftgate truck for free.

JohnT Fitzgerald
03-09-2010, 12:01 PM
Quote- I ended up making my decision based on sales tax. Chicago/Cook County has some ridiculous taxes, so I went to a Woodcraft outside Cook. quote-

The Woodcraft that WAS in Palatine, and moved to Libertyville stated taxes as a large reason for the moving of their store. Their new magnetic "hand out" signs with the new address for everyone has the wording on the bottom of the freebie- No Cook County Sales Tax. They really took this issue to heart. Glad to hear you got your Saw Stop working after all that "extra" work provided free of charge by the shipping companies.
And yeah, appox $400 in sales tax if I had bought a PCS with all the options I wanted when I was thinking about it a few months ago.

I was sure that you mis-typed that number of $400 in sales tax on a PCS. "Surely he meant $200, or even just $300", I said to myself. Then I googled it. Sales tax in Cook County is a whopping 10.25%.

Bob Falk
03-10-2010, 2:22 PM
I posted an ad on Craigslist in three nearby cities that I was looking for a Sawstop . I mentioned that I would even pay a finders fee for someone who found a lead for me (I was thinking $100-$150)....got a couple leads, but the prices were to high. After a couple weeks, I got a call from a cabinet shop in Chicago with a very nice 4 year old ICS for half price of new....had to drive 125 miles to Chicago to pick up. Great saw, only needed to buy the mobile base from Woodcraft.

Jeff Picard
03-14-2010, 1:53 AM
I'm in the process of buying an Industrial Sawstop from my local Woodcraft in the Milwaukee area. Chris, the store owner, is one of the nicest, most accommodating people I've ever met. As others have stated, there are no discounts or sale prices on the SS, however, Chris will personally deliver it to my house. Now I just need to get 3 friends to come over and help me get it downstairs! Time to get some beer and pizzas.

mreza Salav
03-14-2010, 12:04 PM
I'm in the process of buying an Industrial Sawstop from my local Woodcraft in the Milwaukee area. Chris, the store owner, is one of the nicest, most accommodating people I've ever met. As others have stated, there are no discounts or sale prices on the SS, however, Chris will personally deliver it to my house. Now I just need to get 3 friends to come over and help me get it downstairs! Time to get some beer and pizzas.

Make sure your stairs can support the weight of the saw AND three people and is big enough. I took my ICS downstairs by myself :eek::eek: but had to disassemble it (wings, top, base, motor, trunnions, etc).

Tom Henderson2
03-14-2010, 12:30 PM
No sales on SawStop. You might get some extra thrown in, but not a lower price. I didn't get anything extra, I didn't really ask though. Maybe you could negotiate that into the purchase. At least try to get delivery to your house/shop, that would be a great help.

The curious thing is that they keep the price a secret -- they don't post MSRP on their site. Since all dealers are required to sell at the same price, you would think they would let you know what that price was... but nooooo. Instead they keep it a secret.

Anybody know why they keep it all secret?

-TH

Jeff Picard
03-14-2010, 1:22 PM
Yeah, I just finished pulling my Jet 10" cabinet saw UP the stairs. There were three of us and it wasn't very hard. The SS is heavier but I think we'll be okay. I'll have to remove the wing that comes attached anyway or I won't fit it through the door.

Joe Jensen
03-15-2010, 5:08 PM
The curious thing is that they keep the price a secret -- they don't post MSRP on their site. Since all dealers are required to sell at the same price, you would think they would let you know what that price was... but nooooo. Instead they keep it a secret.

Anybody know why they keep it all secret?

-TH

That's a change. When I bought mine, they sold via their website and you could order from them and pay shipping from Oregon, or you could buy from a local dealer and not pay shipping. A few months after I bought mine they started charging shipping no matter where you bought (very weird and it might have kept me from buying). Now it's not so clear on shipping, but they no longer sell on their site. I didn't realize they don't post pricing until just now.