PDA

View Full Version : Table edge router bit?

Tony Shea
03-08-2010, 10:41 AM
I'm in the process of making a shaker table and can't decide on a router bit to decorate the bottom outside edge of the table top. It is a small end table style shaker table with a top that is only 24"W X 16"D. Can anyone suggest a good style of bit to edge the bottom side of the table top that is this size? This is my first table and really just can't decide with all the thousands of options out there.

This is all that I've come up with but just can't picture the size of the cut compared to the table itself.
infinity (http://www.infinitytools.com/1_2-Shank-Table-Top-Bit/productinfo/56-601/)

Andrew Nemeth
03-08-2010, 11:08 AM
If it's truly a shaker style table you could forgo a decorative edge all together. What is the thickness of the top? If it is 3/4" and you feel you need to "lighten" the piece up a bit, you could always do a shallow bevel on the underside (think raised panel) to take visual weight of the top. If the top already looks "right" but you just want to add a little flair, you could bevel the edges themselves. I do this on most of my shaker inspired pieces and use an angle of between 5-15 degrees depending on how pronounced I want it.

Hope this helps,
Andrew

Dennis Lopeman
03-08-2010, 11:54 AM
sometimes LESS is MORE

If it already looks good, don't ruin it!

If you get bored of it in a couple years, THEN add the border! Just thinking ahead. You could have a "new" table with that option. I suppose it will matter how you finish it - Poly, Shellac, BLO, etc.

Matt Day
03-08-2010, 12:23 PM
My end tables haven't been shaker style necessarily, but to lighten the edge a bit I put a shallow bevel on it as Andrew also suggested. It's up to you. A picture of what you have now would probably help you get some more opinions.

David DeCristoforo
03-08-2010, 1:27 PM
"Shaker style" pretty much precludes the use of any edge detail. Square edges with lightly "eased" corners would be most appropriate. I like to use a bevel on the underside of the table edge to give the edge a more delicate appearance. The bit I use is similar to a panel raising bit (like this one which would work if you put a larger besring on it to eliminate the part of the cut that would form the panel tongue: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001NI6OJ4/ref=asc_df_B001NI6OJ41053046?smid=A1WO0LWTFI0BL8&tag=yahoo-tools-mp01-20&linkCode=asn&creative=380341&creativeASIN=B001NI6OJ4)

Tony Shea
03-09-2010, 9:37 AM
That's kind of what I was thinking that less is more. I think I def want to ease the underside edges a bit and was thinking of a slight ogee of sorts. Maybe just a chamfer bit would be better. I'm very good with posting pics but I'll see what I can muster up. Thanks for the suggestions.