PDA

View Full Version : Aligning and the power of rightness

Rob Hough
03-08-2010, 10:19 AM
So I finally got my dial indicator out, built a little sled for it and started checking my saw out a bit more thoroughly. To say I was disappointed would be an understatement!

The saw blade was going from .000" to .011"! My table saw book suggests replacing the blade if there is more than .012" runout, so this had me really confused because the blade was brand new.

I took the blade off and put a completely different (and new) blade on. Same problem. This made me think there was something wrong with the arbor. So I took the blade off, and checked the arbor... It never exceeded .002" (actually never hit .002, but did go slightly past .001") so now I was baffled.

I re-tested the arbor like 3-4 times. Couldn't figure it out. Started looking at the arbor flange, arbor washer and nut... About 15 minutes of playing with these parts and looking at them and it hit my like a ton of bricks. I had the washer on the wrong way... Basically the washer is recessed in the center just like the flange. Well I had that side facing away from the blade, not facing the blade. With the nut install it was actually making contact with the blade, not the washer. LOL.

Flipped it over and it everything is testing within reason now. I need to adjust the 90 degree stop, and 45 next. Those appear to be just a hair off. My fence is heeling at the back, towards the blade, which is something I want to get corrected ASAP. I've got replacement faces, so hopefully that will take care of the problem.

Karl Card
03-08-2010, 10:22 AM
dont you just love it when a plan comes together...
I recently just bought the ALine setup to align and tune my saws etc... cant wait to see how it goes.