PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone tried a commission based marketing company?

Zsolt Paul
03-07-2010, 10:59 PM
With all the talk about business being slow and having lots of great ideas but often not knowing how to market them and/or not having the cash to invest in a serious marketing campaign, I was wondering if anyone has any experience with independent marketing companies who will work strictly on commission only basis (no upfront fees)? I'm sure a lot of entrepreneurs would find that helpful to get the product out there.

Rodne Gold
03-08-2010, 1:23 AM
It's better to appoint your own rep - laser engraving/cutting is fairly technical and you need to train a salesperson in respect of pricing , materials , processes and so forth. Might be worthwhile to use a marketing co if you have a set range of laser manufactured products you want to flog tho.

Gary Hair
03-08-2010, 10:17 AM
It's better to appoint your own rep - laser engraving/cutting is fairly technical and you need to train a salesperson in respect of pricing , materials , processes and so forth. Might be worthwhile to use a marketing co if you have a set range of laser manufactured products you want to flog tho.

There's a huge difference between sales and marketing and the OP was about marketing. For a salesperson you are completely right, it's too technical and too many variables for "just anyone" to try it. For marketing it's just a numbers game, they need to contact as many people as possible to try to get you leads.

If there was a good, reliable, marketing company locally, I would gladly pay for their services. I think that would be much better than most advertising since you could direct them to the target markets you want them to contact.

Gary

Rodne Gold
03-08-2010, 12:25 PM
How does a marketing company work on commision if its not doing some sort of sales?

Gary Hair
03-08-2010, 2:13 PM
How does a marketing company work on commision if its not doing some sort of sales?

I would imagine that they would get either a finders fee or a percentage of the sales that result from their marketing. I don't really know though...

Usually marketing is something you pay for up front for a specific service and sales is something you pay commission for results after the sale.

:confused:

Zsolt Paul
03-08-2010, 3:28 PM
Yes, I was thinking of having a set of various products to give them to run with. You guys are right, this is selling of course, but they dont' need a wealth of knowledge other than where those products are applicable. I guess we could get away from the marketing word and talk about an independent sales company who works on commission only.

Rodne Gold
03-08-2010, 11:20 PM
Thats what I thought , It's worth a try providing there is decent commission in it for them and they have items which are of course desireable and sellers and you don't have to pay anything barring making the items.