PDA

View Full Version : Just saying hello....

Ray Fournier
03-07-2010, 10:36 PM
Good evening folks. I've been lurking for a couple weeks and finally decided to jump in and say hello. You've got a great forum here with a wealth of information. I wish I would have found it a few months ago.

I come from 13 years at Trumpf dealing with 3k lasers and now I've ventured into the world of marking lasers and purchased a ULS 4.60 with a 50 watt resonator. Needless to say it's been a pretty fair learning curve.

I've a great time messng around with the engraving side of the machine but now I've turned my sights on and industry that this little laser will be ideal for. I will need to become efficient at cutting .125 stock of many varieties, Acrylic, Carbon Fiber, Bone, Hone, Shell, Wood and Micarta.

Any information about power and speed would be greatly appreciated.

Randy Walker
03-07-2010, 11:45 PM
Welcome to SMC Rayhttp://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/icons/icon14.gif

Randy Walker

Dan Hintz
03-08-2010, 7:24 AM
Welcome, Ray!

You may as well give up on carbon fiber right now... you'll just end up frustrated and you'll never like the heavily charred edge you'll get with a mere 50W (3kW is a TOTALLY different story).

Acrylic and wood should present no major problems for you. Shell can be touchy, often cracking (exploding?!) with enough heat to actually get through thicker stuff, so make sure you get some really thin stuff. Can't say I've ever tried a thick piece of bone.