PDA

View Full Version : Loaner planes for creekers

James Taglienti
03-07-2010, 9:53 PM
Well someone said it in a different thread and it sounded pretty good so I thought that I would second the motion. Don't know if I'll ever see them again but I can throw in a 9 1/2 type block plane that works pretty good and also a Stanley made #4 that I'll tune. I have a few .. dozen planes sitting around collecting dust that I know will be of use to someone. Now we just need to find a guinea pig to mail these things to.

Matt Radtke
03-07-2010, 10:32 PM
Well someone said it in a different thread and it sounded pretty good so I thought that I would second the motion. Don't know if I'll ever see them again but I can throw in a 9 1/2 type block plane that works pretty good and also a Stanley made #4 that I'll tune. I have a few .. dozen planes sitting around collecting dust that I know will be of use to someone. Now we just need to find a guinea pig to mail these things to.

Not that it's very good, but I've got a no-name 220 I can throw into that mix. You need to bring these things to my attention /before/ I clean out my collection of extras.

Brian Kent
03-08-2010, 12:55 AM
Since the idea was to give an example of a well tuned plane, can these be brought up to snuff? Even to well-tuned and sharpened snuff?

James Taglienti
03-08-2010, 7:28 AM
Sure. I can get a 4 and a 9 1/2 working pretty well. Next time I go out to the barn I will have to go through some stuff and see what else I can conjure up.

Zach England
03-08-2010, 8:14 AM
I have an Anant...just kidding--I wouldn't do that to anyone.

I do have a decent iron and chipbreaker from a stanley 6/7 if that is useful to anyone.

James Taglienti
03-09-2010, 7:45 AM
Well it looks like not too many people are willing to send good tools to virtual strangers, not that I can blame them. Still, I'll throw in some socket chisels too. I suppose when you consider shipping It's not that sweet of a proposition to have loaners. But I have them here if anyone wants them.

Tri Hoang
03-09-2010, 10:03 AM
Instead of loaner tools, I think a free tuning service would be more appealing. Most newbie would definitely benefit from examining/testing a properly tuned plane/chisel. It set the benchmark for how a tool should work.

Rob Young
03-09-2010, 12:14 PM
Instead of loaner tools, I think a free tuning service would be more appealing. Most newbie would definitely benefit from examining/testing a properly tuned plane/chisel. It set the benchmark for how a tool should work.

+1 on that idea. It took me almost a year of experimenting and practicing because I had nothing to reference. People would tell me what was sharp and how it looked, felt, etc but until I actually did it myself it never really clicked.

It has been said before and I'll say it again, sharpening is a gateway skill for handtool use. Once you can reliably and constantly get a good edge on a tool, all the other techniques seem much more approachable because you won't be fighting the tools.

Jim Koepke
03-09-2010, 12:40 PM
I have been keeping out of this since I have pretty much sold off all my spare planes and do not really have any to loan out.

I think it is also impossible to match the ability to try planes that is offered at a Lie-Nielsen tool event. There one can try multiple sizes to find one that feels right in their hands. There is also a lot of help there to make sure the blade is set correctly and to advise the user if something is not working correctly.

There is also the cost and time of shipping. Since we usually only go to town about once a week there would be a delay in mailing after a request. Does the post office have a way of sending a postal credit?

I do have some spare chisels that are hanging around just for the purpose of loaning to neighbors, but there are some sizes in multiples.

I will have to see what I could put together to fit in a small flat rate box.

Have to also come up with something to cover the tips in transit.

What sizes of chisels would be needed for a person to get a good test drive?

jim

Rob Fisher
03-09-2010, 3:09 PM

While I love the idea of loaner planes, after thinking about it a bit I would probably still be lost. Also the cost associated with shipping and the potential that someone would just keep the plane are all negatives.

Tri's idea sounds very appealing. Perhaps something on the order of "I live here and would be willing to help" or " I live here and would like help". Match the need to the help. Or vice versa.

Rob

Chen-Tin Tsai
03-09-2010, 5:42 PM
While I love the idea of loaner planes, after thinking about it a bit I would probably still be lost. Also the cost associated with shipping and the potential that someone would just keep the plane are all negatives.

Tri's idea sounds very appealing. Perhaps something on the order of "I live here and would be willing to help" or " I live here and would like help". Match the need to the help. Or vice versa.

Rob

That makes a lot of sense. Putting together the "support system" would probably be more effective as well as easier than shipping a bunch of tools around the country. Plus, you'd build the network of folks you can call in a pinch if you got a good deal on some wood and need to go move it :D

Paul Ryan
03-19-2010, 10:47 PM
As a newbie I am just about to start stuggling with the use set up of a jointer. I have a #4 and 5 that I have learned to use. But I sure would like to know how they work when set up right. I have them set to where I think they work good. Even though I struggle with the 4 I think it is operator error. I would be real interested in sending one of my planes to an expert and having them set it up for me. I think you guys are onto something, not on something.

Don C Peterson
03-20-2010, 1:12 AM

Rob

That's one of the functions that SMC serves quite well. I don't recall seeing anyone post that they need some face to face help that has gone unanswered. I've helped several folks and have been helped myself this way.

Matthew Wright
03-20-2010, 10:26 AM
I have been away from the board for a little while. I suppose I would probably be the target audience for any sort of loaner program, as I'm an unskilled beginner and I live in a place where (so far) I haven't found many people to help with set-up.

Here's a concern I have, maybe this was addressed in an alternate thread - - would a plane hold its setting through shipping? I imagine the sharpness and chipbreaker-to-cutter setup could be preserved, but what about the location of the cutter assembly in the plane? Seems like shipping could result in a lot of jostling.

In my limited experience with planes so far, the sort of adjustments that would be subject to jostling may be part of my problem.

Just a thought.

Jim Koepke
03-20-2010, 1:52 PM
I have been away from the board for a little while. I suppose I would probably be the target audience for any sort of loaner program, as I'm an unskilled beginner and I live in a place where (so far) I haven't found many people to help with set-up.

Here's a concern I have, maybe this was addressed in an alternate thread - - would a plane hold its setting through shipping? I imagine the sharpness and chipbreaker-to-cutter setup could be preserved, but what about the location of the cutter assembly in the plane? Seems like shipping could result in a lot of jostling.

In my limited experience with planes so far, the sort of adjustments that would be subject to jostling may be part of my problem.

Just a thought.

Matthew,

This is one of the areas where my hat has to go in the ring with Don. It is possible for a person to pick these things up over time without direct help, but that time period can be quite long. One of the goals of sharing information and techniques is to shorten the time it takes to learn. It is becoming apparent to me that the best way may actually be with the live tutoring when possible. This is one reason why I feel tool shows can be an important learning opportunity.

Yesterday a fellow Creeker came by to get some tips and assistance on tuning some planes. There were a few times where I had to sit and think what was taking place. Trying to explain this on line would be difficult. Being able to check the fit, sharpness and different adjustments on my bench was a much faster process.

Loaner tools sounds like a good program. If the borrower needs some fundamental training in the use and set up of the tool, they may still end up disappointed.

With a network of Neanders spanning the globe, it is a challenge to bring
folks together to exchange knowledge when it works best with hands on instead of pixels and electrons.

jim

Ken Shoemaker
03-21-2010, 7:36 AM
This thread is exactly what I was looking for. I have ZERO experience working with planes.

I bought a LN low angle knowing it was one of the better ones. I also, got some from a flea market and tried to "tune them". Course I have no idea what I'm doing.

I'd love to find someone in the Chicagoland area that cold help me out. Not only to sharpen, but to sucessfully use hand planes.

You guys are great for even thinking about "loaner planes" and the like.. TIA

I'll keep watching..... Ken

Dave Anderson NH
03-21-2010, 8:11 AM
I'm not really thrilled with the idea of mailing spares around for the reasons that have been mentioned. Sending out a sharp tool of any type is of limited usefulness if a person is a rank beginner and doesn't understand setup and the proper use techniques. Jim K makes a good point about trying a tool at an event since the tools are both properly setup and there is someone there to offer technique advice. Unfortunately, the limited number of events, their locations, and their scheduling make it difficult for folks to get the help when and where they want it.

My offer is simple. If you want instruction and assistance and live within an hour or two of Chester NH, email or PM me and I'll be glad to help and get you going. Our NH guild (www.gnhw.org (http://www.gnhw.org)) also has a hand tools group which meets every other month. It is a great resource and the members cover every level of experience from rankest beginner to those with 30+ years of experience.

Pat Meeuwissen
03-21-2010, 10:59 AM
Guys, I have three different planes that I got from different places over the years, all freebies so I'm sure there is nothing great about them but I would love to be able to tune and sharpen them to see if I can use them. Is there any how to's specifically designated to this? Thanks Pat

Tri Hoang
03-21-2010, 11:02 AM
SMC currently has a section where member can sign up to me a mentor to local newbies. If you are willing to help, please sign up with specific info on what you can help with.

Pat Meeuwissen
03-21-2010, 11:40 AM
Tri or anyone else, where can I see if there is anyone in Northern NJ signed up as a mentor? Thanks Pat

Jonathan McCullough
03-21-2010, 12:19 PM
Where's the link for that Tri?

Jim Koepke
03-21-2010, 12:20 PM
Guys, I have three different planes that I got from different places over the years, all freebies so I'm sure there is nothing great about them but I would love to be able to tune and sharpen them to see if I can use them. Is there any how to's specifically designated to this? Thanks Pat

There is a bit of information in the Neanderthal wisdom/FAQs:

Bob Smalser on Block Planes:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=60970&highlight=chisel

Bob Smalser on metal planes:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=5867

And here is one by me on metal planes:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=114373

Read a lot before you start.
Hope this is of help.

jim

Jim Koepke
03-21-2010, 12:29 PM
SMC currently has a section where member can sign up to me a mentor to local newbies. If you are willing to help, please sign up with specific info on what you can help with.

It took me a little while to find that page:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/mentors.html

It was last updated in 2005. I am not sure if Ken Outten still has the time to maintain this list as it would be today.

I am wondering if we should have a mentors sticky created by the moderators to this forum for Neander mentors. Sharpening blades and tuning planes is a bit different from working on a lathe of getting the most from your table saw. It might be best for each forum to have a list of mentors specifically for the type of things on that forum. Some folks will naturally be in more than one group of mentors, but it may be better in the long run.

It would need to be editable in case people move or their situation changes.

My time is usually available to help others, but that only works if you are in the southern Washington, Portland Oregon area.

jim

James Taglienti
03-22-2010, 7:43 AM
Ken I'm down here in Streator. You can come by and play with the planes if you'd like. There are also a number of "Galoots" in the Chicago area that you can probably look up.

Jim Koepke
03-22-2010, 9:41 AM
Did everyone notice there is now a new sticky at the top of the conference for those of us willing to help others to post so people know we are available?

jim