PDA

View Full Version : Dumb question about casters

Dan Karachio
03-07-2010, 9:35 PM
I'm sorry, but I can't quite figure this out. I ordered these 3" casters from Woodcraft - http://www.woodcraft.com/Catalog/ProductPage.aspx?prodid=3645

http://www.woodcraft.com/Images/products/140639_001.jpg?rand=281057566

I expected them to be like their larger casters (which are fantastic by the way) and include a base where I could attach them with screws or bolts, but these have nothing of the sort. Just a 1/2" hole, but nothing to "fill" that hole. Woodcraft has nothing else I can find on their site and when I called them today, they were a little busy. I thought I would try here. I want to attach these to the bottom of 3" x 3" posts in a sort of bench (alas, not a shop bench). What is the best way to use these? Just what are they supposed to attach to and where do I get whatever that is? Thanks in advance.

Rich Aldrich
03-07-2010, 9:41 PM
Dan,

I can't figure it out either.

Don L Johnson
03-07-2010, 9:56 PM
You ordered part number 140639 with a 1/2" mounting hole. It sounds like you wanted part number 141051 with a 4 hole mounting plate. Take them back, Woodcraft will exchange them.

glenn bradley
03-07-2010, 11:33 PM
What Don said.

Paul Atkins
03-08-2010, 12:25 PM
Just use 1/2" lag bolts.

Matt Day
03-08-2010, 1:09 PM
Just use 1/2" lag bolts.

+1 to that

Horton Brasses
03-08-2010, 1:46 PM
+1 to that

Except the internal hole isn't threaded. I don't quite see how that will work-am I missing something? Take them back and exchange them.

If not, then maybe get some brass or steel round bar stock the right diameter and mount it inside the holes. Or thread the internal hole and get some threaded rod and fit it to the leg and the internal hole (if you can find the correct diameter).

Mark Saberniak
03-08-2010, 2:00 PM
Not shure where the confusion is. The casters you have will work if you have a 3" square leg. Just drill a hole in the center of the 3" square leg to accept the lag bolt previously mentioned. bolt the caster from the bottom up through the hole in the caster and then through the hole in the bottom of the leg.

Paul Atkins
03-08-2010, 2:02 PM
No need for threads, the lag goes up through the hole and into the leg bottom.
Another way is to use a threaded insert into the leg and use a machine bolt through the hole. One more way is to use a hanger bolt into the leg and use a nut to secure the caster. With a half inch hole, the strength should be sufficient.

Dan Karachio
03-08-2010, 2:08 PM
Thanks all. I swear I was going to ask if I could use a lag screw, but chickened out figuring there was some mysterious answer out there I completely missed. Still, I do not see how it will swivel smoothly with that arrangement. I hate to sound like a broken record, but obviously this is intended to attach to something 1/2" in diameter, so what is it? Just a lag screw or something else? If so, what and why isn't it sold by the company selling the casters.

Paul Atkins
03-08-2010, 2:28 PM
Try one with a washer or spacer. It looks like they have a bearing race built in to the swivel so maybe do not tighten all the way. I'm guessing there is a use for these that uses 1/2" studs hanging down from the tool or base.

Dan Karachio
03-08-2010, 5:36 PM
Thanks Paul - a big duh on my end, yes the caster has a bearing, so it seems that securing it with a lag screw to the post will be a nice fix and it will swivel just fine. I'll be careful in not over tightening it.

Just want to add I am not negative on these casters or Woodcraft. I have their 5" and 6" casters all over my shop and they are absolutely fantastic, really top of the line, especially with my not so smooth floor.