PDA

View Full Version : 8" Jointer and 15" Planer -Delta or General?

Frank Pellow
11-03-2004, 1:06 PM
I have decided to get an 8" jointer and a 15" planer for my shop, and now I am trying to pick the which ones to buy.

There is a dealer nearby (Markham Industrial) who sells, delivers, sets-up, and services both Delta and General (as well as some cheaper lines such as King Canada). I will probably purchase the machinery from them.

So, now I need to decide which ones to buy.

My 8" jointer choices are between:

General International 80-200

Delta X5 37-365X

My 15" planer choices are between:

General International 30-115

Delta X5 22-780X

Please give me any information and/or opinions that will help me to choose!

Chris Padilla
11-03-2004, 1:18 PM
I guess a fancy/schmancy European combo machine isn't in the cards so I won't bother with the pic...you know where the pic is anyway! :D ;)

Are the prices about the same for the Delta and General? You didn't list those. If your funds can handle it, you might consider bumping up the size of your jointer but I think you have some good choices and a (good?) dealer to work with.

Do you have rough footprints of these to place in your shop diagram? I guess since you have the shop mostly done, you could just put tape on the floor.

Frank Pellow
11-03-2004, 1:30 PM
I guess a fancy/schmancy European combo machine isn't in the cards so I won't bother with the pic...you know where the pic is anyway! :D ;)
Correct, I don't think that such a machine is in the cards

Are the prices about the same for the Delta and General? You didn't list those. If your funds can handle it, you might consider bumping up the size of your jointer but I think you have some good choices and a (good?) dealer to work with.
I already bumped up from 6" to 8". The Deltas are slightly cheaper and their warrenties are better (5 years rather than 2). The dealer has a good reputation. I have only very limited experience with the dealer.

Do you have rough footprints of these to place in your shop diagram? I guess since you have the shop mostly done, you could just put tape on the floor. Good idea about placing tape on the floor.

John Miliunas
11-03-2004, 1:31 PM
Frank, can't say about the General, though I've heard good stuff about General. I can, however, give a big "thumbs up" on the DJ-20! :) Except for probably Mark B., us poor folks here in WI can't afford the fancy Euro machines and the DJ-20 is as close as I could come to one and still have a few bucks left over for wood! :) Basically, the tables adjust to the cutterhead in the same manner as the popular (and very expen$ive) Euro rigs. :cool:

Frank Pellow
11-03-2004, 1:34 PM
Frank, can't say about the General, though I've heard good stuff about General. I can, however, give a big "thumbs up" on the DJ-20! :) Except for probably Mark B., us poor folks here in WI can't afford the fancy Euro machines and the DJ-20 is as close as I could come to one and still have a few bucks left over for wood! :) Basically, the tables adjust to the cutterhead in the same manner as the popular (and very expen$ive) Euro rigs. :cool:

What is the DJ-20?

Scott Coffelt
11-03-2004, 1:36 PM
I guess it also comes down to do you want to support a Canadian company versus a US Company.

I don't own either, but I am thoruoughly impressed with the quantity of the General tools. The reviews I have seen put at the top or near it on all reviews.

Delta is Delta, been around forever.

JayStPeter
11-03-2004, 1:43 PM
What about King Canada, do they make an 8" jointer? The GI is a Geetech (same casting as Jet, Grizzly, Bridgewood, Sunhill, etc., but with different base, motor, switch). I wonder if the King Canada is the same. I guess the tradeoff would be an Asian motor (not sure what the GI has). Each of these brands has some variant of bed extensions and 3/4 knife cutterheads also.

The DJ-20 is a different beast. Take a good look at the back of the fence and see how far out you have to keep it from walls. I know the other Delta has a big bar that sticks out the back. So, depending on your layout, it may be a factor.

Jay

Gary Max
11-03-2004, 2:32 PM
Delta is real good about standing behind thier stuff and they carry parts for them.
Makes a real big deal if you are going to own them for many years.

Ed Moehlenpah
11-03-2004, 2:44 PM
I have a used DJ20 (Delta 8 inch jointer, it's the same one that Norm uses, if that makes any difference...) that I like a lot. Way better than my old Jet 6" jointer.
I have the closed base 15" Jet planer, and I'm very happy with it, mostly because I got a great deal on it. I might have chosen another brand with the same kind of deal.
Ed

Joe Mioux
11-03-2004, 2:56 PM
Hi Frank:
Everytime I go to my local woodworkers store, I drool over the General equipment. This place sells Delta, Powermatic, General and a couple other brands. They recommend General over the others. Less expensive than Powermatic and more substantial construction over the Delta stuff.

Happy Buying!
Joe

H.R. Shadow
11-03-2004, 3:14 PM
I moved up from the 6" version to the 8" one, but wished I hadn't traded in the smaller one.(nothing like having two of everything).
I have the 365 that was made in Brazil, the X5's are Chinese made. The 365 is NOT a DJ20.
Mine was not setup out of the box & I still don't think that I've got all 3 knives exactly the same height. (but it makes wedges very quickly) :eek:
The infeed table adjuster lever is not the same as what's on the 6" (no triggerlock) and the knob on the outfeed side is difficult to work with, I'd prefer a handwheel. It vibrated somewhat on the concrete floor, which is by no means level and there are no pads/adjustable feet on the base cabinet.
I was supposed to get the mobile base when I picked up the machine, but as my luck turns out it was on backorder for a month or so. Once I got it on the mobile base I was able to level the base & the vibrations have gone away. Sad to say the holes in the base cab & the mobile base did NOT line up so it's just setting on it. I'm guessing the holes would match the DJ20.
I really like the rack & pinion fence and the 'elevated' switch, but it does change the footprint as it sticks out & up. Not a problem for me, but something you may want consider.
Do I like it? Yes, would I buy it again? No, I think I'd be happier with the 6" & save my $$ for a twelve. Or get either the Jet 8" or a DJ20, both of which would require running 220 to that side of the shop.

Dan Mages
11-03-2004, 5:46 PM
Frank. There are a few other bonuses going with Delta. They are offering free tools with the purchase of X5 equipment, coupons, and rebates. The five year warranty also sells, but I am not sure if that covers both labor and parts.

Fred Chan
11-03-2004, 7:02 PM
Frank, the 37-365X is a DJ20. The DJ20 has the great parallelogram table design and is about 15 to 20% cheaper (at least in my neck of the woods). It also comes with a freebie gift. The DJ20 seeems to be the standard for 8 inch jointers so resale value in the future will be assured if you wish to upsize. If you wish to economize check out the King Industrial KC-80FX. It appears to be a clone of the DJ20. I have the King KC-70FX (DJ-15 clone) and IMHO it's good value for the dollar.:)

Frank Pellow
11-03-2004, 8:49 PM
I have the 365 that was made in Brazil, the X5's are Chinese made. The 365 is NOT a DJ20....

According ti the Delta web site the 37-365X is the DJ20. Why do they need so many numbers?

H.R. Shadow
11-04-2004, 11:09 AM
According ti the Delta web site the 37-365X is the DJ20. Why do they need so many numbers?
You are correct Sir, I should have typed 380, I reckon it's my dyslexic fingers.
Prior to the X5 family the only number for the DJ20 was DJ20, and the other models were 37-something. I guess all the numbers are so the marketing guys can confuse us!

As I stated later in my post I considered getting a DJ20 but the 220V motor was the issue. It's a great machine and does not have the rack & pinion fence, so the footprint is not as large on the back side of the fence. And as someone else pointed out it has the parralleogram bed, which is much nicer (read easier to adjust) than the bed on the model I have.
I apologize for the confusion & can only suggest that you go for a hands on visit so you can actully see/feel the differences in the machines you are considering.

Eric McMillan
11-04-2004, 1:30 PM
H.R.

I have the DJ20 and run it on 110v. It can be wired either way, and I'll change to 220v if and when I get a new shop built. Till then, 110v works just fine.

Rich Konopka
11-04-2004, 4:07 PM
Frank:

I have the DJ20 and it is an excellent machine. The model X5 is rebadged with a 5 year warranty. The motor and stand are now made in China for the X5. Where the generation prior were built in the US. This was explained to me by the local Delta rep. I was fortunate to get in on a good deal back in May where Tools Plus was clearing out the old for $1099usd. I got the last one. ( Belated Gloat:D ) They now only carry the X5's for 1669. Yee-ouch a $300 usd increase.

There are a few of the older generation DJ20's. Here's what they look like at Coastal Tool (http://coastaltool.com/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/a/delt/de37350a.htm?L+coastest+cblm1272ffa87aa8+109961081 1) The only downfall is that they don't ship these big boy's like Amazonian or others.

Ed Moehlenpah
11-04-2004, 4:16 PM
the plate on my dj20 is marked 220v, and doesn't mention 110v at all. I've seen some plates (on other machines marked 110/220 to indicate both), but not mine. Does that mean it could potentially run on 110v? Not that I'd want to, but just curious.
Ed

Bruce Gray
11-04-2004, 6:04 PM
I have the DJ-20 X5 version, and am real happy with it. I really like the parallelogram table design. I have noticed that Amazon still lists the DJ-20 as well as the X5 version, with a $350 (US) price difference. I can't see any real difference in the machines. ...and that free mobile base is certainly not worth the extra money.

Powermatic has a new jointer with a parallelogram design, that looks similar to the DJ-20, but has some added features. A fine-adjust on the in-feed table looks attractive to me. Price is about the same as a DJ-20.

Eric McMillan
11-04-2004, 9:43 PM
the plate on my dj20 is marked 220v, and doesn't mention 110v at all. I've seen some plates (on other machines marked 110/220 to indicate both), but not mine. Does that mean it could potentially run on 110v? Not that I'd want to, but just curious.
Ed

I just went out and checked mine. The plate on the jointer says 230v 8.5A, but the manual says that it can run 220v or 115v single phase. I know I don't have 220v in the garage/shop, so mine's running 115v just fine.

Frank Pellow
11-05-2004, 9:47 AM
The Delta X5 37-365X is the same as the Delta DJ-20 and it is a good machine. :)

Delta is good about supporting their tools for many years. :)

General makes good tools. :)

There is no feedback at all about planers :( and no feedback about the specific GI jointer :( that I am considering. Once again, I solicit information and opinions.

Greg Ladd
11-05-2004, 11:27 AM
Frank,
I cannot comment on the General International jointer. I have a DJ-20 that has served me well and I would not consider any other 8" jointer except possible the General 480. As far as the planer goes, it appears that the GI 30-125, is very close to the Jet JWP 15cs that I have. I really can't complain about it, although I do wish I had cast iron infeed/outfeed tables rather than the rollers.

I am not sure of the differences between the GI 30-125 that I am taking about and the GI 30-115 that you had asked about. The GI 30-125 is significantly heavier, 111 lbs more, which is always better in opinion except when you have to move it!

Hope this didn't confuse the issue more.
Greg

Greg Ladd
11-05-2004, 11:32 AM
Frank,

I forgot to mention that I have the General 350 cabinet saw, which is an awesome machine. I certainly would recommend the Canadian-made General line. I simply have no reference on the International line from General.

Greg

Frank Pellow
11-05-2004, 11:39 AM
Thanks for the information Greg and, in that I see these are your first two postings, welcome to Saw Mill Creek.

I am also in the market for a cabinet table saw and, right now, ther General 350-T50 is at the top of my list. I just wish that it had a riving knife.

JayStPeter
11-05-2004, 1:54 PM
There is no feedback at all about planers :( and no feedback about the specific GI jointer :( that I am considering. Once again, I solicit information and opinions.

Frank,
I was considering that GI jointer. As I mentioned before, it uses the same Geetech castings as the Grizzly, Jet, etc. It uses the 3 knife cutterhead. The big difference between it and the others is the table extenders. It uses the same ones that the Craftsman ?Pro? 8" (also a Geetech) uses. That is rollers that extend out from the table ends instead of cast iron extensions. That allows it to have a smaller footprint, but still give you the option of using them for long material. I played with the Craftsman version at Sears and they seemed pretty nice. Before I found a used Grizzly, I was pretty much sold on the Wilke version since it came with the 4-knife cuttehead and US motor for not much more than the 3-knife Taiwan motor Grizzly version (I know that doesn't help you much in Canada, but for anyone else reading w/any interest). Personally, I find the length of the standard bed to be fine and didn't want the longer bed versions available. The idea of the deployable extensions seemed good to me.
If I were you, I'd investigate what motor comes on the GI. If it is an Asian motor, I'd seriously look at the Busy Bee or King? you mentioned earlier. If they are cheaper, they are probably the same machine without the extending rollers.

As for the planers, the Delta has been the standard for years. It got a new model number and a different base for it's "X" badging (and probably a production facility further east than the old versions). As for the GI, again it looks similar to the ones that Grizzly, Wilke, Jet, etc. sell. Grizzly has two versions of it's 15" planer, one made in Taiwan, one in China. There is also a motor on the bottom planer made in Taiwan (where the handwheel moves the table relative to the fixed cutterhead instead of the cutterhead relative to the table). Most "generic" 15" planers are one of these. And, the GI line (not General, but GI) is all generic. I've come to the conclusion that the Tiawaneese ones are preferable (but a little more pricey). I like the motor on top versions so you could build your own extension tables if desired and they wouldn't have to move when you adjust cutting depth. Again, you'll probably find the same machine badged Busy Bee/Cantech/King? up there. I'm a little less knowledgeable of vendor specific mods on these, but my feeling is that there aren't many other than motor, switch, base.

Hope I've helped some.

Jay

John Weber
11-05-2004, 3:07 PM
Frank,

I have a DJ-20 and a Powermatic 15" imported planer. The DJ-20 is in a class by itself and a joy to use. If you can swing it that's the way I would go. Second choice for a jointer would be the 10" Oliver by Sunhill Imports. All cast iron a really beautiful machine.

As for planers most of the machines use the same castings, you need to look at features and quality (there are differences among the companies). The Delta uses a movable head so the table height stays the same. This can be an advantage if you plan a long in feed and out feed tables. The negatives seem to be motor on top (can be in the way when changing knives), and 2hp vs 3hp. I'm not sure how much these matter, Delta is a great company with outstanding service and their 15" planer is proven and a solid performer. I choose the older Powermatic 15", because I liked the safety switch in the base, built in casters, three roller feed tables, and all the features I wanted with good Powermatic support and service. The General and Jet would be much the same. You can't really go wrong with any of these. I would stay away from the cheap 15" planers from York Craft and Grizzly (although Grizzly also sells a decent 15" planer priced in line with the Delta/Jet/General/Powermatic). If you had an extra $1.5k General makes a beautiful 14" planer in Canada. It has both a chip breaker and pressure bar and can be fine tuned to give an excellent surface. At around $2500 it's built like the old Powermatic model 100, plenty of cast iron and heavy duty.

If I had the money I would go with an Oliver 10" jointer and the General 14" planer, otherwise I would go for a Delta DJ20 and Delta 15" planer.

John

Allen Grimes
11-05-2004, 5:39 PM
Frank, I just got a GI 50-260. I still haven't got it up and running so I cant comment on GI quality yet. It is built like a tank though, just about everything is cast iron. But one thing is for sure, the instruction manual is garbage. Being my first table saw it took me forever to figure out where things were supposed to go. But still, just looking at the thing sitting in my shop gives me a warm happy feeling inside.

Now for my completely unreliable advise: Skip the planer for now and get a 12" jointer.

CPeter James
11-05-2004, 7:22 PM
I traded an older Delta 8" jointer for a very slightly used DJ-20. I really like the 76" table and the massive cutterhesd. The lever adjustment is the cat's meow, easy to change and easy to get back to a standard cut. I normally set mine to 1/32 and rip my boards accordingly. If I need to flatten something that is really out, I take a much larger cut and then go back to my standard. The change only takes seconds. Delta has on their web site detailed instructions on adjusting the tables on this jointer (if you should ever have to).

CPeter

Frank Pellow
11-06-2004, 2:39 AM
Frank, I just got a GI 50-260. I still haven't got it up and running so I cant comment on GI quality yet. It is built like a tank though, just about everything is cast iron. But one thing is for sure, the instruction manual is garbage. Being my first table saw it took me forever to figure out where things were supposed to go. But still, just looking at the thing sitting in my shop gives me a warm happy feeling inside.

Now for my completely unreliable advise: Skip the planer for now and get a 12" jointer.
Hi Allen, I remember your introductory thread where you setled for this saw rather than the General 650 and I remeber Shelley Bolster warning in that thread that "The manual is the pits". Right now the Genreal 350 is at the top of my list when I purchase a table saw (I have been looking at adds to see if I can find a used one).

Re your large jointer advice, really do want both a jointer and planner (or combination machine that I can afford).

Frank Pellow
11-06-2004, 2:54 AM
Frank,
If you had an extra $1.5k General makes a beautiful 14" planer in Canada. It has both a chip breaker and pressure bar and can be fine tuned to give an excellent surface. At around $2500 it's built like the old Powermatic model 100, plenty of cast iron and heavy duty.
I got a quote on the General 14" planner (model 130) and the price is more than double the price of the Delta X5 DJ-20.

If I had the money I would go with an Oliver 10" jointer and the General 14" planer, otherwise I would go for a Delta DJ20 and Delta 15" planer.
Its looking more and more like I will end up with your alternate choices, that is the Delta DJ20 and Delta 15" planer.

Ken Garlock
11-06-2004, 11:37 AM
Hi Frank, I admit that Delta makes good equipment, but why not save some money.

I just took delivery on a Sun Hill 8", 2hp., 72" jointer that is made by GeeTech in Taiwan. The beast weighs over 400 lbs (182 Kg.) and will no doubt out last me. Sun Hill received a shipment of cosmetically damaged jointers and are selling them for $759 plus shipping. The damage is that someone along the way between the factory and the Sun hill warehouse allowed water to get on the tables and as a result the machined surfaces have surface rust spots. If you close your eyes, and run your hand over the surface you can't tell there is a problem. IMO, some table saw rust remover will most likely clean it up, if not it is not big deal and will not affect the machine performance.

Second, regarding the planer. Take a look at the York Craft 15" planer sold by Wilke Machinery. It is a floor model with a 3 hp. motor with built in mobility kit. After some searching, it seem to me to be a best buy at $799.

Something to think about. :confused:

These machines do not carry the Delta label, but who cares, its the machine not the label that counts.

Frank Pellow
11-06-2004, 11:45 AM
Hi Frank, I admit that Delta makes good equipment, but why not save some money.

I just took delivery on a Sun Hill 8", 2hp., 72" jointer that is made by GeeTech in Taiwan. The beast weighs over 400 lbs (182 Kg.) and will no doubt out last me. Sun Hill received a shipment of cosmetically damaged jointers and are selling them for $759 plus shipping. The damage is that someone along the way between the factory and the Sun hill warehouse allowed water to get on the tables and as a result the machined surfaces have surface rust spots. If you close your eyes, and run your hand over the surface you can't tell there is a problem. IMO, some table saw rust remover will most likely clean it up, if not it is not big deal and will not affect the machine performance.

Second, regarding the planer. Take a look at the York Craft 15" planer sold by Wilke Machinery. It is a floor model with a 3 hp. motor with built in mobility kit. After some searching, it seem to me to be a best buy at $799.

Something to think about. :confused:

These machines do not carry the Delta label, but who cares, its the machine not the label that counts.
Thanks for the tips Ken. I will see what I can find about these on the web, but, I doubt that either of these machines will supported well in Canada.

Ken Garlock
11-06-2004, 12:36 PM
Tahnks for the tips Ken. I will see what I can find about these on the web, but, I doubt that either of these machines will supported well in Canada.

Frank, the Sun Hill folks can provide parts for the jointer. There are only three moving parts, motor, cutter head, and drive belts. The cutter head assembly has sealed bearings and is removable.

I have always heard that the support from Wilke Machinery is outstanding. That is one of the reasons I bought their 10" cabinet saw.

Now shipping is another thing. It cost a little over $200 to ship a 600# saw package from central Pennsylvania to north Texas. The shipping, from Seattle, on the jointer was $148 for a 500# package. I don't know your location, but I bet you are closer to York Penn. than I am, and it might be to your advantage to drive down and pick up the planer. Both were delivered by trucks with lift gates, and very helpful drivers. In fact, the driver who delivered the jointer was also a hobbyist woodworker, and and enjoyed a tour of my shop :)

Frank Pellow
11-06-2004, 7:08 PM
I checked both the Sunhill Machinery and Wilke Machinery web sites and there is no mention AT ALL of Canada. My experience with this sitauation (and I have a lot of it), indicates that no mention equals no support. So, Ken, since support is important to me, I can not act on your advise.

Ken Garlock
11-07-2004, 11:25 AM
Frank, I understand your position. Not to belabor the point, neither company has "branch outlets" and they do have 1-800 numbers. I don't think they would discriminate as to which side of the boarder your live on. Heck, Seattle is only a short drive from British Columbia.

I don't know your experiences, so I yield to your decision. :)

charles moser
03-12-2017, 7:13 PM
I have decided to get an 8" jointer and a 15" planer for my shop, and now I am trying to pick the which ones to buy.

There is a dealer nearby (Markham Industrial) who sells, delivers, sets-up, and services both Delta and General (as well as some cheaper lines such as King Canada). I will probably purchase the machinery from them.

So, now I need to decide which ones to buy.

My 8" jointer choices are between:

General International 80-200

Delta X5 37-365X

My 15" planer choices are between:

General International 30-115

Delta X5 22-780X

Please give me any information and/or opinions that will help me to choose!
i can't get the needed parts & daniel of the parts dept won't answer my emails

Ken Fitzgerald
03-12-2017, 7:17 PM
Charles.....first this thread is 13 years old. 2nd. Frank is a "Guest" here now and can't post here.

Good luck on your hunt for parts.