PDA

View Full Version : First choice of Thompson gouge?

Roger Bullock
03-07-2010, 8:59 PM
For turning medium size bowls, various woods, different forms. Which Thomason gouge would be your go to gouge and why?

Steve Kubien
03-07-2010, 9:19 PM
1/2" v bowl gouge would be my choice. 6 months ago I would have said the u-flute but I've been using the V a lot lately and I like it better for shear scraping and it works just as well for everything else. It also seems a bit stiffer ( I haven't measured to see if there is more steel at the bottom of the V.

John Keeton
03-07-2010, 9:29 PM
I can't compare, as I have only the one - the 1/2" V gouge. I have swept the wings back quite a bit, and it works great!

Reed Gray
03-07-2010, 9:33 PM
I prefer the 5/8 just because I like bigger heavier tools. Half inch just is too small for my hands, but works fine. I prefer the V gouge, to the U gouge. His V is shallower than the Glaser V gouge, which I thought was too deep.

robo hippy

Bernie Weishapl
03-07-2010, 9:34 PM
1/2" V gouge. It is just a great all around gouge.

Ron Bontz
03-07-2010, 9:39 PM
I do believe that is one of those preference things. I have a 3/4" v, a 5/8" U as well as a 1/2" sorby (looks more like a V to me). I seem to prefer, so far, the V gouge for the sides in shear scraping and figured woods. If you talk to Doug I suspect he can help you with that one. Good luck.:)

Steve Schlumpf
03-07-2010, 10:00 PM
My go-to/everyday gouge is a Doug Thompson 5/8" V gouge and I highly recommend it. I have the wings swept back quite a bit and the gouge is held in a Monster handle that is full of BBs for ballast. Excellent combination!

Jim Slovik
03-07-2010, 11:13 PM
I have several Thompson bowl gouges but the 1/2" Jimmy Clewes is becoming my favorite. It has a deeper flute and therefore a shorter bevel which makes it easier to follow the inside curve of a bowl.

Tom Steyer
03-07-2010, 11:38 PM
Jim - I have both the 5/8 V and the 1/2 V profiles. I would say that you could benefit from both, but given your criteria, if I could only have one it would be the 1/2" V. It is just more nimble and yet can be reasonably aggressive. For larger work and roughing the 5/8 is a real benefit. The ability to have a longer sweep on the wings is also a + for the larger gouge.

Bob Borzelleri
03-08-2010, 2:37 AM
I have several Thompson bowl gouges but the 1/2" Jimmy Clewes is becoming my favorite. It has a deeper flute and therefore a shorter bevel which makes it easier to follow the inside curve of a bowl.

Amen on the Thompson Jimmy Clewes bowl gouge and why it really works for following the inside curve of the bowl.. I used Jimmy's personal gouge during my 3 days at his shop. At the time, I tried several bowl gouges including the ones I brought and I kept coming back to the Clewes Thompson. Mine is 3/8" but I will order the 1/2" shortly.

Bill Blasic
03-08-2010, 6:49 AM
Although every one of the Thompson tools are great my favorite is the 5/8" V. It is my go to tool.
Bill

John Terefenko
03-08-2010, 10:18 AM
I am looking to get the 1/2"V and I seem to have a wrong web site link. Does anyone know how I can order one??? Thanks.

Mike Minto
03-08-2010, 10:44 AM
i think Doug Thompson his own self says the 1/2" gouge is the best all around, I forget which - 'V' or 'U'. Perhaps he will post here and give tool selection advise again. I am like the other fellow who prefers the 5/8", however - I need all the anti-vibration support possible. :)

Kyle Iwamoto
03-08-2010, 10:49 AM
I just recently got a Thompson "V" pair. I bought a 1/2" and a 5/8". I used a Sorby 3/8 for a long time. The Thompson 1/2" is almost exactly the same as the Sorby, so naturally, the 1/2" feels more comfortable. If I were to get only 1 it would be the 1/2". The 5/8 is my roughing gouge now, since it takes off a bit more wood, and since it's heavier, less prone to vibrations. The 1/2" is a bit more nimble, and use that or the Sorby for finishing type cuts.

John, Google doug thompson lathe and you'll find his site.

Roger Bullock
03-08-2010, 3:14 PM
Thanks for all the comments and recommendations . Placed the order for the 1/2 inch v-gouge. I'll let you all know what I think of it when it gets here and I have a chance to use it.

John Terefenko
03-08-2010, 4:00 PM
Thanks for all the comments and recommendations . Placed the order for the 1/2 inch v-gouge. I'll let you all know what I think of it when it gets here and I have a chance to use it.

Roger

How did you make the order??? I tried to get on the web site from the link provided here and was not able to. I want to order the 1/2V also. Thanks