PDA

View Full Version : Tmnt

curtis rosche
03-07-2010, 8:44 PM
this is another cardboard creation that i have made. made this at school in a 3d design class. it is made from 1.5 inch thick cardboard. the total thing weighed about 200lbs.

we stuck it in the back of a teachers truck when we got back to the school after the race. he found that as a nice suprise when he returned late that night :D

Paul Atkins
03-08-2010, 2:41 AM
And this is for ? You race it in the water, snow, sand, or air?

Rick Moyer
03-08-2010, 3:38 AM
Judging by the third pic, I would say water.

Zach England
03-08-2010, 8:09 AM
THAT looks safe.

I think you mean "FEWER than ten fingers".

Zach England
03-08-2010, 8:11 AM
Sorry; I don't mean to be an ass. No. Just kidding. I'm not sorry.

curtis rosche
03-08-2010, 9:52 AM
its fine Zach. i dont mind

sorry for the lack of details i posted this right before i went to bed, i just wanted to post it quick,, bad idea i guess.

it was made in a computer design class where we did the whole design process and did 3d drawing and everything.
we raced it up at Ski RoundTop (local ski place) at the cardboard sled derby that they have every year. the event procceds go to a local christian radio station.

the event is to build a sled that fits the theme of that year, using only string, glue, paint, cardboard, and tape. no wood or metal or plastic is allowed (except for plastic like the clear packing tape).

it gets raced down the tubing hill at the ski place.
there are 2 catagories, adult and youth. this was entered in the adult catagory. the theme for this year was "Heroes".

we didnt make it far down the hill with this, but we did take second for most artistic.

Zach England
03-08-2010, 9:56 AM
Interesting. My question is: where does one get cardboard that thick? Or is it layered? Card-ply?

Mike Cruz
03-08-2010, 10:06 AM
Roundtop always does the wackiest things! Nice sled. Love to see you take it through a NASTAR course. :D

curtis rosche
03-08-2010, 5:20 PM
the cardboard came from a recycling plant. it was boxes that held 275 gallons of sunflower seed oil. they had a bladder inside and a pallet underneith. it was like 5 or 6 ply.
we didnt use tape, we used that Tough as Nails drywall glue. screwed the whole thing together with 3 inch screws and the let it dry, then took out all the screws.
this thing was a tank. we had 3 people standing on top of it, and it didnt show any sign of weakness