PDA

View Full Version : Another Finished Bowl

MIKE E BEE
03-07-2010, 7:50 PM
This one came off the assembly line today. Turned from a piece of maple that was standing around in the woods, just minding its own business a few week ago. She is my biggest bowl yet. This monstrosity measures in at a woping 8 1/2" inches around and a towering 5" high. Someday it might look small but it is clearly "the big momma" of the bowl collection right now. I tried something different and went with a flat bottom. Not sure I like it. Seems a bit plain. I have been turning a recess and adding a circle or two but i am not sure I like that all that much either. Hmm. I guess its just personal preference and I havent found mine yet. I do Like John Keaton's. How does he do that?
I hope the pics look better than the last ones. I do not have a macro setting on my camera but i made some adjustments.

Thanks in for the critiques on the last post.

Dennis Ford
03-07-2010, 8:38 PM
The bowl looks nice inside, smooth even curve. The flat bottom does not do much for me either. Try looking at some ceramic or china bowls/platters for inspiration on shaping the bottom.

John Keeton
03-07-2010, 8:49 PM
Mike, that is some neat looking maple! From the pics, it almost has a pickled look. I kind of like the shape and the beads on the exterior, too. Nice work!

Nearly all of my bowls are turned with a recess, and I also fit the medallion at the same time. This last one was done with a tenon, and I turned the foot and recess from the tenon block while in a donut chuck. Not sure what other questions you had on my bowl bottoms - I usually just wing it when it comes time to finish them.

Bernie Weishapl
03-07-2010, 9:46 PM
Pretty nice looking bowl. I agree that bottom is just a little big. Bottom I like is about 1/3 of the opening. Not a big fan of big beads but smaller ones would do. Really some great looking wood.

Steve Schlumpf
03-07-2010, 10:16 PM
Mike - beautiful wood! Love the grain pattern!

Form/shape comes with time and experience! You are already changing your mind on form - it is the normal progression. Have fun with it!

James Combs
03-07-2010, 10:25 PM
Mike, kind of reminds my of my current project, therefore I see nothing wrong with it.:)

Mike, that is some neat looking maple! From the pics, it almost has a pickled look.

John (or anyone) what is "pickled look"? I am unfamiliar with pickled wood. Not trying to hijack this thread so a PM message is OK.

David E Keller
03-07-2010, 11:06 PM
Nice work... I'm a little worried if it was standing in the woods a few weeks ago... Warping and cracking both seem like possibilities.

I don't mind the flat bottom, but proportionally, it should probably be a little narrower if you're looking for a classic form.

Baxter Smith
03-08-2010, 12:06 AM
Did you cut the tree yourself? That adds to the "I made this bowl feel"!

MIKE E BEE
03-08-2010, 7:12 AM
Thanks Dennis, Great idea and will do.

MIKE E BEE
03-08-2010, 7:38 AM
Mike, that is some neat looking maple! From the pics, it almost has a pickled look. I kind of like the shape and the beads on the exterior, too. Nice work!

Nearly all of my bowls are turned with a recess, and I also fit the medallion at the same time. This last one was done with a tenon, and I turned the foot and recess from the tenon block while in a donut chuck. Not sure what other questions you had on my bowl bottoms - I usually just wing it when it comes time to finish them.

The wood had much more spalting on the other end. I am not sure if this was the end of the spalting or just the way the grain is but it does look like pickled oak.
This was my first try with beads. I like them but maybe a little smaller next time. They certainly add alot and there the posibilities are unlimited.
Thanks for sharing John. I had a feeling it was an added piece. I like that idea, very clean and very unique! I just need to come with my own little flair.

Nice work... I'm a little worried if it was standing in the woods a few weeks ago... Warping and cracking both seem like possibilities.

I am not sure how long it would take but this will be a good test to see how well this DNA drying system works. I do get some minor warping between the rough out and the finishing but not to much where I couldnt turn it off. I definatley will keep a close eye on it.

[QUOTE=Baxter Smith;1366223]Did you cut the tree yourself? That adds to the "I made this bowl feel"!

I did not take the tree down myself. My friend Mike Posey, who also turns, has some connections and the tree guys kicked this stuff aside for us. We did have to cut it up into managable sections and haul it all out of there.
You should have seen the stuff we couldn't touch. 36" around spalted maples. At least they were sending it to be milled and not burned. One of those trees would have been enough wood for a lifetime of turning. All good though. Certainly good of them to keep the turners in mind.

Thank you gentlemen for all your fantastic input.