PDA

View Full Version : Milescraft Offset Router Base

Jared Porter
03-07-2010, 6:38 PM
Anyone used this thing successfully? I picked up one on clearance at Lowe's for $4.99. The reviews on Amazon are abysmal.

Joe Scharle
03-07-2010, 6:44 PM
Maybe I'm easily pleased, but I have one an a router that I leave the Milescraft base on and it works for me. Also, I use the circle jig on that router (2200e) and the base lets me use their bushings. Freud not having a standard PC base.

Cory Hoehn
03-08-2010, 8:51 AM
I'm not sure why the ratings are so bad, but I've got one and use it quite often on an old Craftsman plunge router. The base works great for me and as Joe said, you can easily swap out other Milescraft accessories. I also use the base for their edge guide and circle jig. Works great.

Gus Francesco
03-08-2010, 10:33 AM
I've not used that particular model, but it seems to do what an offset router base should do. Milescraft makes some pretty good stuff. $4.99? That's a great deal. You can buy the material and make your own, but why bother when you can get one for five bucks?

Dennis Lopeman
03-08-2010, 12:07 PM
Lowes? Really? Hmmmm - might need to stop there after work! $5 is hard to beat even if it is junk - which I am NOT saying - I have no experience with it.

I was thinking of making my own - from one of the designs I saw in the Creek somewhere... This thing looks almost exactly like it.

Dennis Lopeman
03-08-2010, 12:09 PM
Wow - that IS a good deal... Online price at lowes is $40!!!

HOW did you get that deal? and Where?

Dennis Lopeman
03-08-2010, 12:30 PM
AND - i just called Lowes and they aren't on sale...

SO YOU GOT A DEAL, MAN!!! Was it on one of their discount tables or an opened item??

Jared Porter
03-08-2010, 1:19 PM
Actually, before I picked up the $4.99 one yesterday, I picked up one for just under $10 last week. They were marked down from $19.98(?), unopened and located where they always had been, right next to the Bench Dog and Kreg stuff. I'd like to find one of the circle guides marked down, but no such luck yet.

Dennis Lopeman
03-08-2010, 1:21 PM
Actually, before I picked up the $4.99 one yesterday, I picked up one for just under $10 last week. They were unopened and located where they always had been, right next to the Bench Dog and Kreg stuff. I'd like to find one of the circle guides marked down, but no such luck yet.

DANG!! Go get me one!! I live in Atlanta, GA - that anywhere near you?

Jared Porter
03-08-2010, 2:01 PM
I'm in KY.

Dennis Lopeman
03-08-2010, 2:03 PM
I'll be right over.

Tom Esh
03-08-2010, 3:23 PM
Anyone used this thing successfully? I picked up one on clearance at Lowe's for $4.99. The reviews on Amazon are abysmal.

Well for sure it's no Pat Warner sub-base, but 4.99 is a steal. The only issue I have with it is it can flex a bit allowing the router to tip off vertical ever so slightly. If you're not careful that can be enough to make a visible deviation in the routed edge.

Callan Campbell
03-08-2010, 3:34 PM
Well for sure it's no Pat Warner sub-base, but 4.99 is a steal. The only issue I have with it is it can flex a bit allowing the router to tip off vertical ever so slightly. If you're not careful that can be enough to make a visible deviation in the routed edge.
+1 on what Tom says. I don't like my base because of that, and am looking for something to replace it with, BUT, at the price, and if you're careful, it's hard to beat since they're so cheap.:rolleyes:

Dennis Lopeman
03-08-2010, 3:48 PM

YES - the Pat Warner one was the one I was referring to... but for $5... no -brainer.