PDA

View Full Version : #21 Telstar - Infinity and beyond

John Keeton
03-07-2010, 4:24 PM
After the "Country Bowl", I knew I wanted to do really different. A "clam shell" hollow form - turn each side and glue them together had been going through my mind. And, I have a lot of walnut and curly maple (in case you haven't noticed!)

I know this one is going to evoke some varied responses from the crowd, but fortunately, you can't throw things at me through cyberspace.

In any event, like it or not, this is what I ended up with -

I would like to both apologize to and thank those from whom I borrowed (stole??) ideas on the finial - Steve Shlumpf and Keith Burns come to mind rather quickly.

I have attempted, with limited success to replicate the form in the finial at the bottom, and again at the tip, along with carrying the "onion" into the tip. The smallest portion of the shaft is just under 1/8", and the dimensions are 5.75" x 7.25" to the tip of the finial.

I told Ms. Keeton that just looking at the form reminded me of either a Quarter Pounder, or a flying saucer!

So, lest we let this turning thing get too serious, I have included a poll with this one. Your comments to this thread are sought and appreciated - even the negative ones. But, just for fun, cast your vote!!

Doug W Swanson
03-07-2010, 4:59 PM
John,

I like it! Good color combo....

The finial looks really nice but I think it's a little too tall. It's probably just me but I like shorter finials to begin with....

Very good!

Doug

Tony Pridmore
03-07-2010, 5:05 PM
I read the poll options twice looking for the "I like it a lot" option. Well done.

gary Zimmel
03-07-2010, 5:08 PM
I have to hand it to you John.
Spaceship or Quarter Pounder, I like this one.
The finial may be just a tad high for me. In saying that adding the detail of maple/walnut insert sets it off.

But I think this one may not be completely done.
How about turning three legs and really turning it into a space ship.....:D

Great work again...
And now we look forward to #22

Steve Kubien
03-07-2010, 5:14 PM
John, the thing I do not like about it is the maple in the finial. I do not like multiple woods in a cap finial but that's just me.

Steve Schlumpf
03-07-2010, 5:28 PM
John - as I mentioned to you before - it is the imagination that goes into these pieces that I really appreciate!

Very nice turning! Beautiful woods - especially all that curl!

If there is anything I would try to do different - it would be the finial - specifically the second walnut section - just seems a tad large for the size of the HF and tends to draw attention to the finial more than offer a sense of balance to the piece.

Pretty cool idea of duplicating the HF in the finial! That took some doing and you did pull if off quite nice!

Can't help but notice your poll is slanted slightly. Would have voted for 'like it a lot' but the company conducting the poll did not make that option available!

Nice work John! Thanks for sharing!

Roland Martin
03-07-2010, 5:49 PM
You're certainly not short on the imaginative side John (compliment). I thought I'd be funny on the poll, but seriously, this is a pretty cool idea. If there's anything that I would change, I think I would delete the walnut between the maple on the finial and take the size down just a tad on the walnut just above that. As if I could accomplish anything close to this anyway! Another fantastic piece John.

Roger Chandler
03-07-2010, 5:52 PM
Hi John,

Exquisite! You seem to keep the hits coming! All the work that you have posted to date has been very, very nice. How long have you been turning?

I hope that I can produce only 1/3 as much as you have [my lathe time is limited]. Again, this one is exquisite! :)

If I had more than 2 thumbs, every one of them would be up!

alex carey
03-07-2010, 5:55 PM
im not against the length of the finial, just think its a bit thick. Great stuff though.

Baxter Smith
03-07-2010, 6:02 PM
My first thought was "Thats Cool!" but I couldn't find it in the options. Since that was my first thought, that must mean its ok to me.:)

Mike Golka
03-07-2010, 6:03 PM
Where is the " I realy like it" option in the poll? Very nice!

Dennis Ford
03-07-2010, 6:04 PM
I like it! At first glance the HF seemed overpowered by the finial but then I realized that the HF is really a display stand for the finial.

Like your other postings, the workmanship is excellent.

Bernie Weishapl
03-07-2010, 6:55 PM
John that is a beautiful piece. Love the wood combo's. I have to agree that the finial is a little over powering. The walnut/maple piece in the middle I would have made slightly smaller and the top of the finial more delicate and shorter.

David E Keller
03-07-2010, 7:07 PM
You know it's a great wood combination, so I'll spare you the praise there.

It's very creative, and I appreciate the repetition of the shape of the form(even the top of the finial has the 'flying saucer' shape incorporated.)

I think I may agree with the others about the finial being somewhat dominant visually, but that seems to be a part of turning where preferences vary greatly.

Nicely done, sir!

Mark Hazelden
03-07-2010, 7:28 PM
I like it.

Makes me not want to post pictures of my humble turnings, but I will. :rolleyes:

Reminds me of seeds that we would find on the beaches of the Bahamas that the locals called "Hamburger Beans"

Robert McGowen
03-07-2010, 7:33 PM
I think that the finial is just perfect, but the bowl is way too small for it!

Wally Wenzel
03-07-2010, 7:43 PM
Try as i might i can not find a thing wrong, i think it is exactly the way i would do it if i only had the ability.
Wally

Nick Mastropietro
03-07-2010, 8:31 PM
John;
You are one creative guy, great imagination, beautiful wood. I haven't even begun to turn yet but I hope that as time goes by I develop the skill and creativity to produce similar pieces. You are an inspiration.

Ken Werner
03-07-2010, 8:35 PM
Well I do like it John, but I'm afraid it doesn't really capture the feel of telstar -

Frank Van Atta
03-07-2010, 8:50 PM
Very beautiful and innovative piece - all of it, just like it is.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-07-2010, 9:01 PM
John,

Overall....ingenious idea!

Pretty well carried out.

Like several of the others, I find the finial a little large....The base of the finial is okay in diameter but immediately above that I find the both the diameter and the height a little too large for the form. This finial in my humble opinion is a little overbearing for the base form.

Nicely done John!

Curt Fuller
03-07-2010, 9:22 PM
I voted for "I kinda like it" only because there wasn't an option for something more. That's one of the prettiest finials I've seen. You've chosen a great mentor in Keith and Steve and you've learned fast. I think I would like it even more if the main form was a little larger, or the finial a little smaller. In my eye there's something that isn't quite right in the proportions of the two, but it's much closer than I could get. That's also a beautiful combination of woods that really grabs your attention, especially for being good old domestic hardwoods and nothing exotic. Beautiful work John!

Donny Lawson
03-07-2010, 9:38 PM
John,
. In my opinion, anything you turn is GREAT. You could take a picture of just shavings and it would probally be great. I just think you have some amazing tallent.Keep'em comming.
Donny

Ron Bontz
03-07-2010, 9:43 PM
Ah once again I feel soooooo inferior. Nice work as always.:)

charlie knighton
03-07-2010, 9:53 PM
very nice...

Keith Burns
03-07-2010, 10:00 PM
John, do you ever sleep ? I guess when you do you dream about turning. Technically well done and I kinda like it. Really like the finial but like Robert said, the body could be a little bigger. Great stuff.

James Combs
03-07-2010, 10:07 PM
That's it. Dennis nailed it. With thought in mind the finial size is just right.:) But of course if you aren't thinking that way it's probably a tad tall.:D

I like it! At first glance the HF seemed overpowered by the finial but then I realized that the HF is really a display stand for the finial.

Like your other postings, the workmanship is excellent.

Brian Effinger
03-08-2010, 12:01 AM
John, I voted "I kinda like it", but I also want to see it fly! :p

In all seriousness, I love everything about the finial, and the form it sits on is awesome. My only comment would be that while the finial and HF share the same style (the mini HF in the finial really ties it together), the finial is just too big for the HF. Or the HF is too small for the finial. If you could magically reduce the entire finial by 1/4 to 1/3, I think it would work better.

That said, if it were mine, I'd still be thrilled with it. It is beautiful. The thing is that as I am writing this, I keep going back to the top and looking at the first photo, and I like it more each time.

Brian

Joe Wiliams
03-08-2010, 12:03 AM
My first thought was cookies...:D

John Keeton
03-08-2010, 7:28 AM
I appreciate everyone taking the time to look, comment, and vote!! Everyone on this forum has been so supportive and helpful to me along the way. My hope is to improve steadily, and to achieve an acceptable level of artistic accomplishment. There are so many great turners on SMC, and the continual postings are inspiring and educational.

This one was a lot of fun to make, and this thread has been fun, too, with the poll and the comments. Never thought about the cookies, Joe!! Should have made that an option!

The comments on the proportions of the finial vs. form are well taken. In real life, the finial doesn't appear as large, and definitely doesn't appear as heavy. But, I agree, most probably prefer it smaller.

The reality is that when I completed the form, I didn't like the flatness of it so much. The concept for the finial started out to be smaller, but I wanted to see if I could "pull up" the form with a larger finial. Apparently, that doesn't work so well!:o

Since this is only my 4th finial to turn, inexperience is the ever present demon here. While I could do another one, I probably won't - even knowing the finial is too large. It will just become a part of my progression - a reminder of what not to do!!

Besides, it took considerably more time and effort to do the finial vs. the form, so I like the approach that Dennis has -

John, do you ever sleep ? I guess when you do you dream about turning.My first "bowl" was on Christmas Eve last year, 2009, and I did one other turning a few days later. I started with a fervor at the beginnning of the year, so in just short over 2 months, I have become a true addict. But, Keith, you, Steve, and others must bear the blame for much of my "problem!!" You do such beautiful work, it draws me to try something different every time. I have about 6-7 hours in this piece, scattered over a couple of days - but, I admit to thinking about my turnings a lot before I ever start them. It is truly an illness!!:eek:

Well I do like it John, but I'm afraid it doesn't really capture the feel of telstar -Ken, actually when I thought about the name Testar, it was the 1960's instrumental from the Tornados and Ventures era!! That song came along just about the time that I began playing guitar, and just before my relatively short adventure of playing in a band. Great memories!! And, some songs live forever in one's mind. I suspect as I drift into a state of dementia at some point, I will still recall that song!!:D

steven carter
03-08-2010, 9:25 AM
John,

I like your bold approach with the finial to try to lift the overall appearance. It works somewhat, but I think it might have worked better if the finial was much slimmer from the point of the re-created hollow form upward. At least that's what the photo tells me. I have found that my photos do not always accurately portray what the piece looks like in person and I've retaken some pictures that were not as close to the subject and that sometimes helps with giving a more true to life perspective of the proportions. Looking forward to your next project.

Steve

TYLER WOOD
03-08-2010, 1:35 PM
I really like the piece. It does need a couple of touches in my (very) humble opinion.

I would prefer as someone else stated for the walnut bulb above the maple section to be a tad slenderer. The height also seems a touch tall. Both are VERY minor and VERY nit picky because the piece is soo beautiful as is. Like I said I add nothing to what's been said above, just iterating my useless opinion.

Terry Murphy
03-08-2010, 2:56 PM
I will have to try [steal] your idea.
Great looking hollow form.

Terry

bob svoboda
03-08-2010, 4:28 PM
John, While your poll is hilarious, I didn't see an option that fits my opinion. Without being too analytical, I just enjoy looking at your creation--nice. I also think that anyone, like it or not, would have to agree that it shows a high level of skill and I admire that.

Toney Robertson
03-08-2010, 8:26 PM
Nice HF. Isn't that cheating??? :D

I agree with others on the size of the finial.

Toney

Allen Neighbors
03-08-2010, 8:40 PM
I think it's beautiful... and... I do want to see it fly! :)

John Keeton
03-08-2010, 8:54 PM
Nice HF. Isn't that cheating??? :DYes, Toney, it is!!;) But, I bet I have a nicer and slicker finish on the inside of my HF than the next guy!! I took some pics of the process, and the method worked amazingly well, and doesn't take much time. I am sure it could be applied to some other designs, but obviously they would all need the common element of a dividing line/joint of some sort. One could vary the theme some I suppose.

... and... I do want to see it fly!:) And, apparently a dozen other folks do as well!:D My art gifted daughter felt an appropriate name would be "Taj Mahal Burger"!!!

...it shows a high level of skill and I admire that.Bob, I often told my sons when they were growing up and full of themselves - " Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill" every time. Same applies here. I doubt this was skill so much as determination and persistence. But, I do appreciate your comments.:)

Joe Mioux
03-08-2010, 9:14 PM
I think your skills are superb and your choice of woods are good.

I like the bottom and I like the finial, but I don't see balance/rhythm between the two. The shapes do not flow together as one.

I always enjoy reading your threads, John. Since you posted a poll, I suspect something is bothering you about this turning. no?

joe

John Keeton
03-08-2010, 9:31 PM
I think your skills are superb and your choice of woods are good.

I like the bottom and I like the finial, but I don't see balance/rhythm between the two. The shapes do not flow together as one.

I always enjoy reading your threads, John. Since you posted a poll, I suspect something is bothering you about this turning. no?

joeJoe, thanks for your comments on the skill level, but I do refer you to my response to Bob on that issue!!:D

As to the poll, it is all just very much fun for me at this point. And, that was the reason for the poll. There may be a day where I become more serious about this, but I am really in the learning and exploring phase of turning - trying new ideas, new techniques, challenging my skill level. There is so much to learn, and so many ideas that I would like to try. I have the time, and Lord knows, I have bought enough wood to try a few things!:)

As to the piece itself, I actually like it. I do realize that there is a difference of opinion on the size of the finial vs. the form, but it is still appealing to me. Perhaps that in itself says something about my immature skill level!!;)

The other thing was that as I was working on the finial, every time I would look over at the form, it was hovering over my bench, and at one point I could swear that I saw blinking lights.:confused::eek: That is when I realized that I needed to put some weight on the sucker to hold it down!:D