PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw, Grizzly or Minimax?

Jack Wilson
03-07-2010, 4:16 PM
I know the title is misleading, always go for the Minimax, but this is an older used one. I am looking at an orange, yellow(?) (have only seen pictures of it so far) Minimax S45, but I am also considering a larger 17" and up Grizzly. If you have either of these band saws please let me know what you think of YOUR saw, and why. What influenced you to buy it?

Thanks

Jack L Carter
03-07-2010, 5:54 PM
I don't know anything about the MiniMax but I've had a 17' (G0513) Grizzly since 2005. I have used it a lot and have had no problems with it.

Van Huskey
03-07-2010, 6:12 PM
The S45 is the "lesser" Minimax one that is in good shape should be the equal or slightly better then the Grizzly 513/514 but not as good as the 636/701 saws. $700-800 bucks and in solid shape I would take the yellow S45 with one caveat, I think some of the older S45s had a pretty small motor, but can't remember for sure. Would want 2.5hp or more, plus I think the S45 is limited to 12" resaw if that is an issue.

Jack Wilson
03-07-2010, 6:33 PM
The S45 is the "lesser" Minimax one that is in good shape should be the equal or slightly better then the Grizzly 513/514 but not as good as the 636/701 saws. $700-800 bucks and in solid shape I would take the yellow S45 with one caveat, I think some of the older S45s had a pretty small motor, but can't remember for sure. Would want 2.5hp or more, plus I think the S45 is limited to 12" resaw if that is an issue.

True on the motor size, 1.8 hp. 12" resaw is fine, I hope its that much. I am kinda looking for the minimax quality. A friend has the MM16, and while this is not that saw, I am hoping for the smoothness and quality of his minimax. Minus the power, but I believe that could be upgraded someday.

Cody Colston
03-07-2010, 6:34 PM
I have a GO513. It's great for what I do and the price was too good to pass up. I was looking to get a new bandsaw and decided on it after reading a review from Terry Hatfield. Like any band saw, a good blade, designed for the particular operation and a good set-up are the key to good performance.

I've never used a Mini-Max so I can't comment on them.

Cary Falk
03-07-2010, 8:14 PM
I have had the G0513x2 for about a year and love it. It came flawless out of the crate. It has plenty of power. It has done everything I have asked of it. I have resawed 10" harde maple with plenty power to spare. I purchased it because of all of the positive comments. I have not been dissapointed.

Sam Layton
03-07-2010, 11:23 PM
Hi Jack,

I have two MM S45's. One I use for general use, and the other is for resaw. Both saws are about 10 years old, green. One has the 1.8 hp motor and the other has a 1.5 hp Baldor motor. I purchased both saws new. On the one saw the original motor was bad, so the replacement motor was a Baldor.

Power in general has not been a problem. Only one time I was resawing a lot of 8/4 hard maple in about 8' lengths for a work bench and the Baldor got hot and quit. After It cooled off and I reset it, I was off and running.

I have been happy with the saws. That being said, I was recently in the market for a carbide resaw blade. It seems that the S45 does not have a strong enough spring to tension a 3/4 carbide blade. So until I investigate further, a carbide blade is out. So, enough power, yes---strong enough spring, no.

The MM is a well made saw. If I were buying a new saw now, I would just make sure I could install a carbide blade. Some day, I will sell one and get a larger saw, most likely a MM.

Hope this helps, Sam

Van Huskey
03-08-2010, 12:48 AM
True on the motor size, 1.8 hp. 12" resaw is fine, I hope its that much. I am kinda looking for the minimax quality. A friend has the MM16, and while this is not that saw, I am hoping for the smoothness and quality of his minimax. Minus the power, but I believe that could be upgraded someday.

Haven't used a S45 BUT I have heard time and again it isn't much better than the Chiwan versions just like the Laguna 3000 series, but they do have better guides. A good price and if power and resaw isn't an issue and I would get it. Not sure but is the S45 an Asian import or a true Euro saw?