PDA

View Full Version : Glue up question

Rob Holcomb
03-07-2010, 3:54 PM
If I were to glue up hardwood boards to practice making bowls, which way would I then turn the blank? Picture A or Picture B. Your thoughts and knowledge are greatly appreciated.

http://www.robholcomb.com/glueup.jpg

ryan kelley
03-07-2010, 4:20 PM
Both. A gives a face grain bowl and B gives you an end grain bowl.

Robert McGowen
03-07-2010, 4:32 PM
In theory, you could do it both ways. Given a choice though, I would do it as pictured in "A" Almost all bowls will be turned in that orientation, though you can also turn an end-grain bowl. Most people do not turn end-grain bowls due to the pith ending up in the bottom of the bowl, among other things. Make sure you glue up your boards so that all of the grain is running in the same direction. This will make a stronger glue up and also will be more similar to a solid piece, as all of the end grain will be running in the same direction.

As a side note, instead of working your way up, you could always start at the top, and do a segmented bowl with those flat boards! :D:rolleyes::cool:;)

Malcolm Tibbetts
03-07-2010, 5:40 PM
Rob, both orientations will work. As was said, "A" is more common. If it's just practice that you want, I'd suggest just getting some chucks of cheap wood (a lot less hassle than doing glue ups). Or, you could try to do some funnel-shaped bowls using the "bowl from a board" technique.