PDA

View Full Version : What did I just buy? (plywood)

Victor Robinson
03-07-2010, 1:46 PM
Yesterday I stopped by the local BORG to pick up some miscellaneous hardware, MDF, and ply while my wife occupied herself shopping nearby. I needed 3/4" material for a few different things I'm building for the shop, and figured I'd grab some of the Arauco or birch ply.

I literally wandered around the lumber areas for 30 minutes trying to find someone who could a) help me drag sheets down since everything I wanted was at least 8' high and b) do a quick rip on each sheet so I could get them home in my auto. Running out of time, and figuring the precut stuff would work ok size-wise, I grabbed some overpriced quarter sheets of MDF. As for the plywood, all they had was something they labeled as "hardwood plywood" but instead of plies, it is composed of 2 inch strips of wood (poplar? kind of a greenish hue...) edge glued and then surfaced with veneer on both sides. Not wanting to go home empty-handed (and still not a soul in sight to help me out...on the WEEKEND!!!), I grabbed a few sheets. It feels a bit lighter than normal 3/4" ply, and the edges are IMO uglier than normal ply. It ran $15/ 24"x48" sheet.

So....what did I just buy? :confused:

tyler mckee
03-07-2010, 1:52 PM
sounds expensive, why not just buy full sheets and have them cut them down at the store?

Victor Robinson
03-07-2010, 1:55 PM
sounds expensive, why not just buy full sheets and have them cut them down at the store?

I was short on time and apparently everyone in the lumber part of the store was on a group coffee break. I even rang one of their assistance buttons by the panel saw and nobody responded.

Do you know what this stuff is?

Steve knight
03-07-2010, 2:07 PM
this is wood core plywood.

Victor Robinson
03-07-2010, 2:11 PM
this is wood core plywood.

Thanks Steve. I had never seen this stuff before. Is it a dying breed of plywood? I was trying to research it on the web and a site said the quality of the core has been getting worse and worse. I'm wondering if I shouldn't even bother with it and just return it?

Steve knight
03-07-2010, 2:17 PM
one reason for it is weight. but I don't know if it is very popular.

Jay Jolliffe
03-07-2010, 2:28 PM
What I remember about it that it doesn't warp like the veneered plywood & screws hold better in it. Where I'm at no one stocks it and some don't know what I'm talking about when I've asked.

Howard Acheson
03-07-2010, 2:28 PM
That material is called "lumber core" or "wood core". It used to be popular in the kitchen cabinet business because is was less expensive than multiply plywood, it was lighter and more paintable. It was also quite stable.

Victor Robinson
03-07-2010, 2:32 PM
That material is called "lumber core" or "wood core". It used to be popular in the kitchen cabinet business because is was less expensive than multiply plywood, it was lighter and more paintable. It was also quite stable.

Hmm, sounds like it should work ok then. Sort of weird that the orange BORG was selling it...

John M. Smith
03-07-2010, 2:32 PM
Iv'e had good luck just yelling out HELP. Usually get at least two employees to see what is wrong.:D

Norman Pyles
03-07-2010, 4:02 PM
Iv'e had good luck just yelling out HELP. Usually get at least two employees to see what is wrong.:D
Too funny!!!

tyler mckee
03-07-2010, 4:44 PM
I have the opposite problem at the local home depot, i can't walk more than 30 seconds without someone asking if i need help.

Myk Rian
03-07-2010, 4:48 PM
I was short on time and apparently everyone in the lumber part of the store was on a group coffee break. I even rang one of their assistance buttons by the panel saw and nobody responded.
That's when you go to the service desk and tell them to call someone.

David DeCristoforo
03-07-2010, 4:49 PM
Lumber core plywood is typically used where you need more bending resistance i.e. shelves or in situations where you are not covering the edges i.e. flat cabinet doors with a shaped edge (typically in "low end" kitchen cabinets). It is usually more expensive than veneer core plywood and odd that you would find it at a BORG since it is not that common anymore.

Greg Woloshyn
03-07-2010, 6:14 PM
I have the opposite problem at the local home depot, i can't walk more than 30 seconds without someone asking if i need help.

Haha, same here. It seems they are being too friendly at times to try and compete with Lowes, even though whenever I go to Lowes, nobody says Hi to me or anything. I shop at both, however I've noticed Home Depot offers cheaper lumber being both price and quality, for the projects I do that don't require very high grade material.

Tom Godley
03-07-2010, 6:52 PM
From my recollection it was much more expensive than standard plywood -- and I remember it being quite heavy.

I used it for built in shelves and a bar -- since its solid you could dress the edges with a router. It could then be finished in ways not possible with standard plywood.

I am surprised a big box store stocked it.

Glen Butler
03-07-2010, 8:29 PM

When I cant seem to get help I start using their tools and they come running.:D

Rick Fisher
03-07-2010, 9:47 PM
Are there no smaller lumberyards in your area?

Kevin Gregoire
03-08-2010, 1:29 AM
im new to woodworking and i have a really stupid question but this has been bugging me like crazy and i know its something simple but what the hell does BORG stand for?
i see people saying it all over various forums but i cant figure out the initials!

David Cefai
03-08-2010, 2:01 AM
The core might be paulwani (spelling?) which is quite a light wood. It is straight grained and quite water resistant.

It has recently become available in Malta as laminated 2" strips and I am planning to build 3 floating shelf vanity units from it for my daughters' new house bathrooms.

Victor Robinson
03-08-2010, 2:18 AM
im new to woodworking and i have a really stupid question but this has been bugging me like crazy and i know its something simple but what the hell does BORG stand for?
i see people saying it all over various forums but i cant figure out the initials!

Couple different things it stands for but all of them refer to the big box stores - Home Depot or Lowe's.

Big Orange Retail Giant

Blue or Orange Retail Giant

Borg, short for cyborg, short for cybernetic organism (if you're a Star Trek fan) - referring to the nonhuman nature of the retail giants.

Mark Blum
03-08-2010, 3:07 PM
Borg, short for cyborg, short for cybernetic organism (if you're a Star Trek fan) - referring to the nonhuman nature of the retail giants.
More specifically, the Borg, a race of cybernetic organisms that are grouped together in a collective where they have no individual personality. They ruthlessly assimilate others into their collective, and robotically intone "resistance is futile".

In other words, not too dissimilar from the large retail giants that have assimilated consumers into their hive-mind way of doing business. You don't want to be forced to use Lowes and Home Depot, but resistance is futile.

Victor Robinson
03-08-2010, 3:17 PM
More specifically, the Borg, a race of cybernetic organisms that are grouped together in a collective where they have no individual personality. They ruthlessly assimilate others into their collective, and robotically intone "resistance is futile".

In other words, not too dissimilar from the large retail giants that have assimilated consumers into their hive-mind way of doing business. You don't want to be forced to use Lowes and Home Depot, but resistance is futile.

lol, thanks Mark. I knew I wasn't doing the StarTrek reference justice. :)

Greg Pavlov
03-09-2010, 12:02 AM
Lumber core plywood is typically used where you need more bending resistance i.e. shelves or in situations where you are not covering the edges i.e. flat cabinet doors with a shaped edge (typically in "low end" kitchen cabinets). It is usually more expensive than veneer core plywood and odd that you would find it at a BORG since it is not that common anymore.
I haven't seen any in a long time. My parents had a pair of very nice and well-made walnut veneer wall units made of lumber core plywood, with thicker veneer surfaces than anyone makes now.

Gus Francesco
03-09-2010, 1:41 PM
From what you described, it sounds like poplar plywood. It was on sale a few months ago at Lowes or HD. It was marked down to $35 per 4'x8' sheet. I picked up a few sheets and have been using it with no real problems. It's very strong, hard plywood that is great for bookshelves and cabinets. As you mentioned, it has a greenish hue. The hue comes out even more when the wood is finished. If you plan on finishing it, I'd stay away from tung oil as it seems to exaggerate the greenish hue. I'd suggest using something like a lacquer or polyurethane.

Another complaint is that the veneer layer peels off very easily on the edges during sanding. Other than that, it's good stuff.

Kevin Gregoire
03-09-2010, 10:06 PM
Couple different things it stands for but all of them refer to the big box stores - Home Depot or Lowe's.

Big Orange Retail Giant

Blue or Orange Retail Giant

thanks vic, i knew it had to do with them in some way but just couldnt figure it out!

Roger Pozzi
03-11-2010, 8:38 AM
That's how it is at mine too! Only problem is,,,they never find anyone that CAN help me, but they are willing. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Bob Carreiro
03-11-2010, 10:55 AM
Used this material in the 70's. It's called "lumber core plywood." Yes, it is lighter in weight and pretty stable to.

happy WW,
Bob

david brum
03-11-2010, 11:29 AM
I bought a few sheets of that stuff at HD a few months ago. Some observations:

1) light weight
2) much flatter and more stable than the typical ply you'd find at HD
3) core is made of less desirable strips of poplar, i.e. spalted, soft ,etc. Because the veneer is very thin, there isn't much resistance to denting.
4)The grain in the veneer is more open than birch. You might need to fill the it, depending on your desired finish.

I used this stuff for a the top of a painted bench for a window seat. It worked great, although the grain is very visible. I would use it again.

george wilson
03-11-2010, 12:35 PM
They use that type of solid core material in making furniture. The way things seem to be going in the plywood field,it is probably more desirable than ordinary plywood. People have found all kinds of stuff,like pieces of soccer balls,wire,etc.,in imported plywood. It also doesn't stay flat and de laminates. Also has lots of voids. I hope the solid core stuff does better.