PDA

View Full Version : Warm weather refreshment reminder

Mitchell Andrus
03-07-2010, 1:44 PM
I know we all like to wink-wink, nudge-nudge at the idea of a cold one at the end of a busy day in the shop.... sometimes in the middle of the day too.

I hope that none of us ever forgets that drinking and woodworking don't mix any better than drinking and driving do.

....Just a gentle safety reminder as the weather turns warmer.

Bill Arnold
03-07-2010, 2:00 PM
I'll drink to that!!! :eek:

Joe Mioux
03-07-2010, 2:06 PM
I'll drink an O'Douls do that.

JohnT Fitzgerald
03-07-2010, 2:06 PM
I'll drink to that!!! :eek:

I'll second that!!

But ---- only after I'm done with power or sharp hand tools. :) a cold one during cleanup often hits the spot.

Chris Damm
03-08-2010, 7:56 AM
I know we all like to wink-wink, nudge-nudge at the idea of a cold one at the end of a busy day in the shop.... sometimes in the middle of the day too.

I hope that none of us ever forgets that drinking and woodworking don't mix any better than drinking and driving do.

....Just a gentle safety reminder as the weather turns warmer.

It all depends on what you are drinking. When did "drinking" by itself come to mean alcohol? I drink all the time when I'm in the shop or behind the wheel but my drink of choice is water or maybe a diet Pepsi.

Ben Rivenbark
03-08-2010, 9:12 AM
It all depends on what you are drinking. When did "drinking" by itself come to mean alcohol? I drink all the time when I'm in the shop or behind the wheel but my drink of choice is water or maybe a diet Pepsi.

I'm pretty sure it happened about the same time that calling a beer a cold one started. Its a common colloquial phrase.
Of course it's fine to have a Pepsi. But don't use your cast iron table tops as coasters!!! I guess drinking regular drinks in the shop can be dangerous.....

Jeff Sudmeier
03-09-2010, 7:33 AM
I have made it a rule to never have a beer while working in the shop. I also don't go out in the shop after having a beer.

Yes, I know that one beer isn't going to affect me out there, just a rule for me and only me :)

Mike Wilkins
03-09-2010, 9:44 AM
Only after the power tools have been turned off for the day. And only with a finely rolled tobacco product from the Dominican Republic.

Rod Sheridan
03-09-2010, 9:55 AM
I guess the term "drinking" became common usage for drinking alcohol about the time my kids were small.

There were all sorts of anti "Drinking and Driving" commercials on TV, so one day I have my daughter Margaret with me in the car, I guess she was about 5 years old.

We're stopped in a routine spot check, the officer asks a few questions and Margaret pipes up "My dad is drinking and driving".

Well, it was the truth, I did have a coffee with me:D.

Sheesh, Kids...............Rod.

Mark Patoka
03-09-2010, 10:04 AM
Besides safety glasses my other mandatory safety item is I never will touch a tool if I had a beer or alcohol. I know one beer doesn't affect most people while working but just something I won't do, maybe my low tolerance or all the "alcohol related incident" safety briefings we received in the military. Now at the end of the day, a cold one does help wash down the sawdust.

Rod Sheridan
03-09-2010, 10:46 AM
Besides safety glasses my other mandatory safety item is I never will touch a tool if I had a beer or alcohol. I know one beer doesn't affect most people while working but just something I won't do, maybe my low tolerance or all the "alcohol related incident" safety briefings we received in the military. Now at the end of the day, a cold one does help wash down the sawdust.

Good advice Mark, I have a very low tolerance for alcohol, one drink is my limit and I can notice the effects of it on me.

Regards, Rod.

Jim Rimmer
03-09-2010, 10:55 PM
I've known folks that drink beer in the shop and some that shoot guns after a few brews and other dumb things. They have survived for now but... No alcohol for me until I'm done with sharp and pointie things (or things that go bang).

Al Willits
03-10-2010, 8:06 AM
I've known folks that drink beer in the shop and some that shoot guns after a few brews and other dumb things. They have survived for now but... No alcohol for me until I'm done with sharp and pointie things (or things that go bang).

Used to watch the trap shooters get pleasantly plowed while shooting clay pigeons years back, thank goodness that's been frowned on by most clubs now.

Another thought, watch the pharmaceuticals too, any drug for that matter.

Lots of drugs out there that slow the reflexes and thought pattern.

Al

Robert Parrish
03-10-2010, 8:58 AM
I usually have a beer at the end of the day while cleaning the shop. No power tools involved!

Gene Howe
03-10-2010, 10:37 AM
I have made it a rule to never have a beer while working in the shop. I also don't go out in the shop after having a beer.

Yes, I know that one beer isn't going to affect me out there, just a rule for me and only me :)

Same rule here, too. I'm dangerous enough without alcohol!:o

Dave Johnson29
03-10-2010, 2:55 PM

Woodworking? Ha! Girly stuff.One of my machines will move a half-ton of steel at 250 inches per minute rapids. That's 4+" per second. I have welded material and cutters together just from a rapid crash.

All machines are OFF before the lid of the beer is off. :)

A good reminder for all Mitchell.

Jon Lanier
03-10-2010, 4:27 PM
I don't drink alcohol any way. So no problem.

Now I need to remember not to take Ambien and then head to the shop. ;)

Tim Morton
03-10-2010, 8:08 PM
I don't have many rules in my life...and i like it that way.:D

But i will never mix power tools and alcohol.