PDA

View Full Version : Mini, mini gloat, but mostly a word of thanks!

Robert McGowen
03-07-2010, 1:21 PM
I had always known that photos made the turning, but did not realize how much of a difference that it made. I made this shallow red mallee bowl last month and made it available for sale using the first photo. It did not sell for 4 weeks. I got a push in the right direction when I purchased a real photo background that was recommended by Steve Schlumpf in a thread. After posting the second photo here, Leo Van Der Loo did a few simple changes to the photo using some software. Steve Schlumpf then did something that I thought was NOT POSSIBLE in this hobby/profession....... he recommended some FREE photo software. I then posted the same bowl using the third photo and sold it in just a few days. Now I want to go make something just so I can photograph it. So if you want to be a better turner..... just learn to take better photos!
Thanks guys!

Steve Schlumpf
03-07-2010, 2:01 PM
Robert - Congrats on your sale! Sure is some beautiful wood!

I was pushed by Neal Addy and Vaughn McMillan a few years back to start taking better photos. It was daunting at the time but glad I did it! Folks seem to forget that the photo is your only means of representing your work online. No matter how good the actual turning is - if the photo is lacking it hurts your chances for a sale or meaningful critique.

Looks like you have the photo thing well under control!

David E Keller
03-07-2010, 2:49 PM
What a difference! Nice looking piece, and congrats on the sale.

Tony De Masi
03-07-2010, 3:52 PM
Where did all the white trim go from the first photo?:D

Nice job Robert and congrats on the sale. Helps to supplement the retirement a bit too.

Tony

Bernie Weishapl
03-07-2010, 7:05 PM
Congrats on the sale. The third pic's is extremely nice.