PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning/Polishing laminates?

Darin Kauffman
03-07-2010, 12:17 PM
I recently made a birch ply and black laminate a/v rack, and I wanted to clean and polish the laminate. Everything I used to clean the laminate is leaving streaks, and the only thing I can think of right now that might polish the laminate is Armor All. The laminate is a Wilson art black.

Any ideas from the creek?

Milton Hill
03-07-2010, 10:09 PM
I just replaced a laminate counter top in the kitchen this weekend and there were some scuffmarks that I removed with Wink Cook-top Cleaner. It left things very nice and shiny w/o streaks.
Milt

Darin Kauffman
03-08-2010, 12:18 AM
Thank you Milton. I'll look into that product.

Phil Phelps
03-08-2010, 11:28 AM
Darin, I've worked with HPL for decades. If you find something that works, please post results.

Darin Kauffman
03-10-2010, 10:15 AM
I'll let you know if I find something that works. :(

It doesn't look good. The foaming glass cleaner dulls the luster of the black laminate. :(

I might have a look at a car polish......

Phil Phelps
03-10-2010, 11:22 AM
I'll let you know if I find something that works. :(

It doesn't look good. The foaming glass cleaner dulls the luster of the black laminate. :(

I might have a look at a car polish......

I don't think you want to wax it. You might try denatured alcohol, Ivory soap and water followed by Windex. Use cotton rags.

Darin Kauffman
03-10-2010, 1:38 PM
I don't think you want to wax it. You might try denatured alcohol, Ivory soap and water followed by Windex. Use cotton rags.

I'll give that a shot Phil. I have all 4 components, so I'll give it a shot tonight. Thanks for all the help, I appreciate it.

Chris Padilla
03-10-2010, 2:38 PM
If laminate is essentially "plastic", then wouldn't a plastic polisher work?

I've heard excellent things about Novus (http://www.novuspolish.com/) products. I'm not sure if they apply here, however. Email the company and gauge their thoughts.

Phil Phelps
03-10-2010, 3:53 PM
Chris, I've used some of that. One product sold to the trade is Brillianize. It does contain a wax. Usually used for Plexiglas. Laminates are notorious for streaking. We have to clean the contact cement off, and that usually takes lacquer thinner or acetone and that becomes "hell" to wipe clean. One usually must keep the rag moving until the dampness dries when cleaning. It'll wear your arm off.