PDA

View Full Version : fonts

James Rambo
03-07-2010, 12:03 PM
I have a customer that sent me a .jpg of a medallion that he wants to have me produce. I could not copy the font exactly. I then e-mailed him my problem and asked where he got the font. He said it was just in Windows Paint. I opened my copy of Paint and it was there but it does not show in corel. Where does Paint get its fonts if not in the font directory. Can I copy the font from Paint into the folder with the fonts used by CorelDraw?

Dan Hintz
03-07-2010, 2:54 PM
Do a global search on all TTF fonts on your system (assuming it was a True Type... if not, choose the appropriate extension). Make a copy of it into your Corel font folder and restart.

Mike Christen
03-07-2010, 9:10 PM
Sometimes I have fonts show up in corel and sometimes they don't, very strange.
Thanks Dan, I never knew corel had its own font folder, I will check it out and give that a try.

Dan Hintz
03-08-2010, 7:20 AM
Usually (and I stress the "usually") a good program will install fonts into its own folder rather than the windows folder. Corel used to do this, though I admit I haven't paid attention if it still does. This way if the program is removed, the fonts go with it (since the fonts are often licensed for use with that particular program anyway).

Richard Rumancik
03-08-2010, 11:24 AM
Dan, I thought that the whole point of the Windows font folder was that it gave you fonts that are universally accessible to all applications - if every application has its own folder then it is pretty hard to cut and paste between applications. For example if I have some text in Word for a plaque or label, and copy it to Corel, I want to have the font already there. Otherwise it is a hassle as you will always have missing fonts, and then you will end up duplicating numerous fonts on your system for different applications.

All my (active) fonts seem to be in the Windows font folders. The exception is font libraries which I purchased separately - since too many installed fonts is not a good thing, I store inactive libraries elsewhere and move fonts in and out as needed. The idea of un-installing a program and removing the associated fonts seems valid, but I don't think Microsoft really dealt with that issue. That is the downside of having "shared" folders for different applications. When you un-install you may end up with some leftovers - whether good or bad.

In Corel 11, I do not see a separate Corel font folder. So I don't know if later versions are different. Paint seems to get its fonts from the Windows fonts folder.

Dan Hintz
03-08-2010, 12:36 PM
Richard,

You're correct...