PDA

View Full Version : A fix for the Delta Mortiser

Bobby Hatfield
03-31-2003, 7:18 PM
My Delta Mortise machine has just sat on the table for two years without being used because it wouldn't work out of the box. Well now its a have to case for a job. It was so easy, only about the sixth time I attempted to make it work. This time I removed the partical board table and replaced it with one the full thickness up to the board guide and hold down mount, I've tried everything else. New table is 5/4 oak from the Peacock chair 5/4 oak. Don't tell Dennis. That's all it needed, wasn't that easy.

Steve Clardy
03-31-2003, 7:25 PM
I remade the table for my Jet also. But I made it 2' long to carry the bulk of longer pieces. Was constantly proping things up. Steve

Terry Hatfield
03-31-2003, 7:28 PM
bobby,

I had the same trouble with mine. I bought a neat little table addition from Rockler that uses 2 t tracks and some rubber wheels to hold the stock against the fence but still allows it to slide back and forth so you can cut the mortise. Pretty cool.

Terry

Steve Clardy
03-31-2003, 7:36 PM
Originally posted by Terry Hatfield
bobby,

I had the same trouble with mine. I bought a neat little table addition from Rockler that uses 2 t tracks and some rubber wheels to hold the stock against the fence but still allows it to slide back and forth so you can cut the mortise. Pretty cool.

Terry
I saw that table on their site and though that would be a good idea. But, other than buying one, I though I would make it. But do to the volume of work I have, plus some much needed shop work, new benches, cabinets for tools, new miter saw table, etc., I have no idea when I will get around to making one. Maybe I ought to just buy it like you did. Steve

Terry Hatfield
03-31-2003, 7:44 PM
Steve,

It's a neat little deal. You sure could make one but I figured by the time I got the materials together and bought the little wheel things and the t track and the tee bolts and routed the grooves and.....

I just bought the darn thing and called it good. It is a major improvement to the mortiser.

Terry

Bobby Hatfield
03-31-2003, 7:53 PM
Terry the trouble with mine was the hold down would bend and the guide would twist and chisel bind really bad. The thick table stopped that.

Steve Clardy
03-31-2003, 8:57 PM
you guys brothers?

Bobby Hatfield
03-31-2003, 9:22 PM
Steve,

The Hatfield Tree may have forked back about 150 years ago and Terry is from one fork and me from another, but we don't know for sure, I have found my ancestor that came in 1838 from VA by way of TN but don't think Terry has found his connection to the KY/VA Hatfields as yet.

Stan Smith
04-01-2003, 11:04 AM
I just started using my new ShopFox mortiser in the past week. So far I have cut about 55 mortises with it. The hold down works fine, but I discovered I have to add spacer pieces to the fence and base for some cuts if the boards are down to 3/4" thickness. For edge cuts, I just clamp a board in from to hold the stock in place. To move along the stock, I just use a mallet with little taps.

I just saw the Rockler item last night. I, too, was thinking about getting it. On my machine the hold down set bolt is a recessed allen nut. It sure would be easier to replace it with something else, like a knob, so that I wouldn't have to use the allen wrench everytime. Any ideas? Thanks.