PDA

View Full Version : My tagline - It's true. Really.

Greg Peterson
03-07-2010, 11:41 AM
After adding an central vac inlet I had to replace a small section of sheet rock. I did my measurements and laid the removed section on top of the new sheet to trace the outline and the existing cutout for the light switch. All I had to do was add six inches to the bottom portion of the new piece and add a cutout for the inlet. Piece of cake.

Everything went according to the Peterson rule. The piece fit perfectly. The cutout for the inlet was exactly were it was suppose to be IF I wanted to install the sheet rock backwards.

The sheet I brought home was laying on the saw horses face down so I laid my template face down and traced it out. But when it came to triangulating the location for the cutout for the vac inlet, because the template was upside down, I should have transposed the measurements from the actual corner my measurements were based on rather than the corner nearest me. Oops.

Back to the store, another sheet, this time face up on the saw horses, laid the template on top, traced it out, measured the vac inlet cutout from the correct corner, and viola!, almost perfect. Man, I tell you it only took me a couple of minutes to prep the sheet. I was feeling pretty confident. A fleeting sensation I am all to familiar with. I should have recognized this.

The only problem was that I had just used the original template, but I forgot to add six inches to the bottom of the sheet. Doooh!

I couldn't bring myself to go back to the store and face the same checker a third time. Hopefully he isn't working today. :o

Myk Rian
03-07-2010, 12:31 PM
I did something like that with carpet.

We were at my SILs and she wanted to replace the carpet in the lower bathroom. We took the old out and laid it on top of the new, wrong side down. Cut it from the template and went to put it on the floor. It was a mirror image of the old. DUH!!
Luckily, they had owned a carpet store previously, so we went out to the barn to get some more. We ended up laying linoleum, correctly.

Greg Peterson
03-07-2010, 12:40 PM
Wow, I did not realize my powers could extend so far! I'll take the blame.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-07-2010, 1:02 PM
Greg....I've been there .....done that.....earned the t-shirt......

One Friday night on the way home from a local medical center, I stopped at a good hardware store and bought something I needed in the shop. My wife was in Illinois at the time. I put that "something" on the dining room table. When you come in from our carport through the backdoor, you walk past the dining room table. Saturday morning I came in from the shop 6 times to get that "something" and forgot what I came to the house for each time. I was walking 6" off the ground and blue smoke was appearing due to my vocalizations!

I've been there and am becoming more of a resident and less a tourist these days.

Greg Peterson
03-07-2010, 1:06 PM
I've been there and am becoming more of a resident and less a tourist these days.

Great line. And how true.

Jay Jolliffe
03-07-2010, 5:39 PM
This is real stupid. Ever walk around looking for something for a few minutes and have it in your hand all the time. How about this. Looking for your glasses, can't find them because you have them on. I had one of those days not so long ago and it was at the beginning of the day.

Van Huskey
03-07-2010, 6:02 PM
My worst case was when I was cutting some panels for a cabinet and I was using a sheet of birch ply that was very unique (never seen a piece like it before or since) highly figured and just gorgeous. I was down to the last door and had enough to cut three doors with the correct grain direction. First cut I forgot I had moved the fence for some reason and cut it 3/4" too narrow. Frustrated I moved the fence sliced off the second piece BUT I cut it with the grain running horizontal OK I have enough left, turn the plywood and because I cut the last one with the grain running the wrong way it didn't leave me enough for a third try. My wife was NOT happy she loved that wood. I have to cut the panel out of one of the sides and do a lot of redesign to get it to work.

Dave Johnson29
03-07-2010, 6:36 PM
The cutout for the inlet was exactly were it was suppose to be IF I wanted to install the sheet rock backwards.

:D:D Been there, done that. I couldn't bring myself to put it in with the gray side out. Not sure what would have happened with the paint, but I was sorely tempted.

You are not alone!

Jim Mattheiss
03-07-2010, 7:26 PM
BTDT also.

My instance revolved around replacing a 3 foot long piece of gutter at the corner of the roof where a valley ands at the roof line.

Visit 1 was to buy the materials for the job. K-gutter, some downspout, some downspout elbows and caulk.

Visit 2 - Didn't buy left and right hand gutter ends in Visit 1

Cut the gutter - foul it up. Cut another piece - put the "nipple" in the bottom, end caps on. Hold it up for inspection. Nipple on the wrong end.

Visit 3 - Buy more gutter, another nipple and more end caps.

The guy at the counter reminds me they are closing in 30 minutes, so if I'm gonna do it wrong again - do it quickly.

I got it together and installed with no more issues.

Three dimensional rotation of objects isn't my finest skill.

Cheers

Jim

Rick Gooden
03-07-2010, 8:01 PM
I always say that my company's tagline is: We do it right, cause we do it twice.