PDA

View Full Version : Thompson gouge

bob svoboda
03-07-2010, 11:19 AM
I just ordered a 1/2" bowl gouge from Thompson. I have turned a cherry handle, but have a couple of questions and would appreciate the benefit of your experience.

Do I drill the hole 1/2" or a little smaller?
How deep should the hole be?
What types of ferrules have you been successful with?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give. :cool:

Gordon Seto
03-07-2010, 11:29 AM
http://www.thompsonlathetools.com/faq.asp
Shanks and Tangs?
and the "HANDLES" tab have all your answers.

bob svoboda
03-07-2010, 12:09 PM
Thanks Gordon==That helps a lot.

phil harold
03-07-2010, 3:57 PM
Just my honest opinion would be to avoid cherry and walnut as a handle
I had some on hand chisel crack I would hate to have that happen while turning...
maple, ash, or hickory
http://www.thompsonlathetools.com/images/extra/TurningToolHandles.pdf

Steve Mawson
03-07-2010, 4:12 PM
For my handle I drilled a 1/2" hole about 2" deep if I remember correctly. Used a 5/8 or 3/4 copper tubing nut for the ferrule, turned a tenon that the nut threaded on to. Takes some time to get the diameter correct but will thread right on when you get it right. Then I used a file to take down the corners. Pretty much followed the instructions on the Thompson site which worked out fine.

Mike Minto
03-08-2010, 10:52 AM
yes, the tools have a mark on them denoting how deeply they should be set into the handle. cherry and walnut are not good for handles? drag - that's all i've made mine from - hope they're not a disaster in waiting :confused:.

John Keeton
03-08-2010, 11:29 AM
The handles on my Thompson tools are laminated walnut and maple. I would not be concerned at all with walnut handles so long as the wood was solid, and substantial around the tang. My handles are 1.5" in diameter in the tang area, and I use a 1" ferrule material.

bob svoboda
03-08-2010, 11:53 AM
The handles on my Thompson tools are laminated walnut and maple. I would not be concerned at all with walnut handles so long as the wood was solid, and substantial around the tang. My handles are 1.5" in diameter in the tang area, and I use a 1" ferrule material.
Thanks John. I'm glad you clarified the ferrule size. In my research I read there should be 1/4" of wood between the steel and the ferrule so I did use a 1" ferrule (for a 1/2" gouge). I appreciate the help.

Bernie Weishapl
03-08-2010, 1:06 PM
I have a several of cherry, ash and walnut handles that are about 3 yrs old. Bob I use either a 3/4" or 1" ferrule's on mine. I make them out of some copper pipe I had laying around. I drill a 1/2" hole and smear a little epoxy inside the hole and insert the gouge.