PDA

View Full Version : Recent Turnings

Roland Martin
03-07-2010, 10:35 AM
The 1st 3 pics are a maple platter 1 1/2" x 10" with a salad bowl finish.
The 2nd set of 3 pics are a maple bowl 1 3/4" x 6 3/4" with a Watco Teak Oil finish.
The last two pics are of a humbling cherry bowl, OPPS, funnel. This is a very handy size for a funnel @ 2 1/2" x 7 1/2", always wanted one that size! :eek:
I've got to retire so I can ride the vortex like "Master Keaton :D.
As always, thanks for looking & crtiques & feedback are appreciated.

I finally took the advise of many mentors on this forum and joined a club on Wednesday, The Southern Maine Woodturners. The first meeting was great, can't wait for the next. And, why not keep going, I joined the AAW the day after, OH, the VORTEX has got me!! Thanks a lot guys for all the suggestions & "training" you selflessly offer.

Sorry for the quality of the pics, I didn't have a good camera @ the shop.

Steve Schlumpf
03-07-2010, 10:49 AM
Beautiful work Roland! Love the second curly maple bowl! That is some intense curl!

The funnel - what can you say other than it happens - but is also a great chance to try turning a matching - or contrasting - foot. Got nothing to lose unless you need this size funnel.

David E Keller
03-07-2010, 10:57 AM
Those look great, Roland. The first piece has a sneakly little bit of spalt... Nice. Your forms look good.

It was probably the vortex that sucked the bottom out of that last piece... It's not your fault.

Bernie Weishapl
03-07-2010, 11:17 AM
Really nice pieces and I love the curly maple bowl. Yep funnels happen. You could square off the bottom and like Steve said put a contrasting wood on the bottom and finish.

Toney Robertson
03-07-2010, 12:20 PM
The maple piece has some great grain and you did it justice.

Toney

Baxter Smith
03-07-2010, 12:51 PM
Great wood and form Roland. Bummer about the bowl. You had the grain perfectly centered and it would have been great. I keep a couple of mine where I can see them as a reminder. Don't know if they help. Added another one yesterday.:)

Robert McGowen
03-07-2010, 1:25 PM
That maple bowl is really, really nice. Sorry about the funnel!

Steve Mawson
03-07-2010, 4:02 PM
Fantastic maple, good job on both. Funnels happen:(:(

Mike Golka
03-07-2010, 6:05 PM
Like the maple! The funnel can be saved.

Dennis Ford
03-07-2010, 6:13 PM
2 of 3 are great, I would be happy with that and burn the funnel. It could be saved if YOU will be happy with the result. Non-turners would likely love a cherry bowl with a walnut bottom, so it could make a gift.

John Keeton
03-07-2010, 6:24 PM
Roland, all of them, even the funnel, have really pleasing shapes. The maple in the bowl is fantastic - I have a real weakness for curly maple.

On the cherry, the only problem is that IMO there are few woods that actually go with cherry after it ages. Maple is one of the few. Walnut looks good initially, but not after it turns amber and the cherry turns red. I would probably opt for a cherry bottom, or just move on.

As far as "riding the vortex", unfortunately, and begrudgingly, my day job does still demand far more of my time than I like. Probably a good thing though, I wouldn't be able to crawl out of my shop for the chips and shavings!!

Jeff Fagen
03-07-2010, 6:42 PM
Roland,I see a possible center handle/foot combo to make use that vortex window.:D

Roland Martin
03-07-2010, 7:43 PM
John, as many turnings as you've been completing, I thought you may have retired. For now I'm putting the funnel in "the box". I may find use for it some other time, but you're right, there's not many species that would do it justice enough to be worthwhile spending time on it.