PDA

View Full Version : 4 new ones

Jeff Nicol
03-07-2010, 9:05 AM
Good morning all, I posted on Ray Bell's thread that I had to shut down my website do to a broken down body! I am sitting in my chair with some ice on my back right now to see if I can get moving for the day, thank God for laptops! But anyway if anyone has any further questions send me a PM and we can go from there.

Here are pictures of 4 new pieces I finished and put in a new gallery that is representing me. The first is a Black walnut bowl with a lip and smaller foot. It was from a big knob on a slab off the trees Mike Svoma and I got last spring. It has the broken off old limb knot in it and has some nice figure. The second is a White Ash HF with an ebonized/painted collar, I think the contrast is great. The last is an American elm HF (Pics 3&4) little pot that shows the wide growth rings of the Elm. The last one is a nice Black Cherry bowl. The walnut bowl is 11"x3.5" the Ash HF is 7"x1.25" the Elm HF is 4.75"x3.25" The Black Cherry bowl is 7.5"x2 5/8".

Thanks for looking and I hope the "Woodennicol" will change but not die!

Jeff

Bernie Weishapl
03-07-2010, 9:27 AM
Really great looking pieces Jeff. Really like the ash piece.

Sorry to hear about your back Jeff. Take it easy. I am just getting over my back strain.

Frank Van Atta
03-07-2010, 9:28 AM
Some great pieces, Jeff. I especially like the walnut bowl.

Joseph M Lary
03-07-2010, 9:39 AM
Sorry to here that time has caught up to you again , it seems to happen to me more and more every year. thank god for Ibuprofen. Hope you get your site up and running ,I like going and looking at all the things on it, it give me inspiration. Im waitng for the shop to warm up some I can make some curls today. hope you feel better .

Jeff Fagen
03-07-2010, 9:40 AM
Fantastic work Jeff!I'd like to see your operation some time.I am craving education.Keep up the good work and hope your up and going soon.
Jeff in Elk Mound

mickey cassiba
03-07-2010, 10:08 AM
Sorry to hear about the back Jeff. Hope it comes around soon. Hope you get the site up soon. You do a lot of beautiful work.
Mick
PS The Ash is my favorite.

gary Zimmel
03-07-2010, 10:21 AM
Always a pleasure to see your turnings Jeff.
Thanks for the look see.
And I hope your back feels better soon.

Steve Schlumpf
03-07-2010, 10:34 AM
Jeff - great looking work! The new gallery should be very pleased! Hope everything sells quickly!

Sometimes all we need is a break from the everyday rush that we get ourselves into. Can't imagine cutting and hauling wood does your back any good - and hope a break from it will allow you to get back to feeling normal again.

Hope you heal quickly!

Roland Martin
03-07-2010, 10:41 AM
Lost for words. A really nice array of turnings you've put out here. All of the forms and wood are impressive. You are a very talented man. I wish you a very speedy and successful recovery.

David E Keller
03-07-2010, 11:00 AM
Great to see that you are getting in some turning, but I hate to hear that your back is flaring up. Hope you have a speedy recovery. Great looking group of turnings!

Jeff Nicol
03-07-2010, 11:50 AM
I sometimes think I am cursed, but then I think we all do at some time or another. My back has been a problem for years, I hurt in the Army being young and too strong and not too smart! It is feeling better now, but slow moving. I am too young to have all these troubles but God must have a plan for me, 48 years old and I feel about 80 some days. It is a good thing I have the wood shop to keep me going or I think it could be a lot worse. Some of the reason I had to shut the website down is that my wife wants me to finish a bunch of things in the house and I have neglected them for too long! Have to keep the boss happy!

Thanks again for the kind words and I will be posting more stuff and also cleaning out my shop of the truck loads of turning stock I have to see what is there, I found things that I forgot I had and it is now pretty dry and ready to turn!

More to come,

Jeff

Toney Robertson
03-07-2010, 12:18 PM
Nice looking pieces Jeff.

I will second the walnut bowl as my favorite.

Getting old sucks doesn't it? I guess it beats the alternative!!

Toney

Peter Lamb
03-07-2010, 12:32 PM
Sorry abut your back. Take a lot of Advil and you will be back on your feet in no time. Really beautiful work to go along with your great tools!!!
Peter

Baxter Smith
03-07-2010, 12:41 PM
Very nice variety of woods and shapes. Good luck with the back. I have had to spend more than a few days horizontal. Always swear I'm going to be more careful next time. Sometimes I am and sometimes ... Beautiful work!

John Keeton
03-07-2010, 2:27 PM
Jeff, sorry to hear you are down again!:( You have had a rough year.

Those are some beautiful turnings, and the walnut bowl is the winner in the group. The ash piece is a close second, but all four are exceptionally nice.

It might help if you quit living like you were 20!!:D;)

Keep the wife happy, and everyone is happy - good luck on the chores.

Paul Douglass
03-07-2010, 3:31 PM
Beautiful work, Ash has alwoys been one of my favorites and that HF reminds me why. They are all awesome.

Mike Golka
03-07-2010, 6:07 PM
Good looking peices Jeff, hope the back is better soon.

charlie knighton
03-07-2010, 9:59 PM
i like the first one also, sorry about your back

Dave Haughs
03-07-2010, 10:03 PM
I love that vase!

steven carter
03-08-2010, 9:42 AM
Jeff,

Glad to see your pics of your turnings, I like them all! Sorry to hear about your back. I injured my back while in the army playing in a pickup rugby match, and it still gives me problems from time to time, and at 57 the times are getting closer and closer together! Just remember, getting old is not for sissies.

Steve

Jeff Nicol
03-08-2010, 11:11 AM
Thanks all for the support and comments on the turnings! I really like the walnut one also. The ash vase is second, I have some more that I have to go pick up and get it blocked up, there are some nice crotch pieces in the pile so they will look nice.

The "BOSS" is at a doctors appointment in Rochester at Mayo today and tomorrow so I will have a couple days to make some progress on the "Honey Do List" better when she is not watching every move I make, I get more done!

I have got a fun one started, one of those winged box type things with natural eges and it looks pretty cool so far out of spalted cottonwood. Lots of sanding left and to make the lid, then I will get it posted.

Thanks again all,

Have a great day!

Jeff :D

Ray Bell
03-08-2010, 11:34 AM
Well, I have to go with the ash HF first, and walnut bowl second, but they are all very nice. Give up on all the moving, hauling, packing for awhile, and just turn. That is always good therapy for me. Especially mentally therapeutic. In fact I know if I was able to turn out pieces this nice, I would feel wonderful all over.

Take care,
Ray