PDA

View Full Version : Bed Rock 608

Josh Bowman
03-07-2010, 8:35 AM
I just got a Bed Rock 608C in. It's got some issues though. It's a type 4 and needs the Lever Cap, Cap Iron, and Front Tote Screw. I've been combing EBay and Googling my fingers out. The best I could find was stuff at way to high of a price. This is a user at best, just would like the parts to fit and be close to type and kind. While your roaming about, keep me in mind and drop me a line if you see any of these parts.
Thanks Josh
jsbowman@bellsouth.net

Jonathan McCullough
03-07-2010, 8:51 AM
Check out Stanleytoolparts.com. They have all those things at reasonable prices, but as I recall the selection for that size plane may be limited. Highland Hardware also sells parts for Stanley planes like frogs, totes, screws, etc. Some of those had high knobs and some had low knobs, with correspondingly long and short knob screws, so a call might be in order to those respective places. Some of the screws were also proprietary or bizarro, like 24 threads per inch, which is unusual, so make sure you get what you need. For a user, you may also be able to get away with some threaded rod from the local BORG or McMaster-Carr.

George Sanders
03-07-2010, 8:59 AM
Go to Bob Kuane's web site. He sells parts for Stanley planes. If you spend the money for the correct parts you can recoup the cost if you ever sell the plane.

Josh Bowman
03-07-2010, 9:12 AM
Go to Bob Kuane's web site. He sells parts for Stanley planes. If you spend the money for the correct parts you can recoup the cost if you ever sell the plane.
Thanks for the reply, but 36 bucks for a $5 chip breaker seemed high!

Chen-Tin Tsai
03-07-2010, 9:58 AM
I bought a screw kit from Stanley Tool Parts that had all of the screws/washers/knobs that go on a Bailey plane. The screws/knobs all fit my Bailey #5, although the frog screws didn't fit. I think it was around $10 plus shipping. I see the lever caps on ebay quite often, although a Bedrock lever cap might be a bit more rare. If you're missing a chip breaker, why not just buy a Hock blade and chip breaker and make it a fantastic user? :)

Brian Kent
03-07-2010, 10:07 AM
And where have you found the chip-breaker for $5?

Maybe it's a $36 chip=breaker ;).

James Taglienti
03-07-2010, 10:52 AM
If you're after a Bed Rock lever cap in #8 size be prepared to shell out some $$$. I think i know a fella with irons and chipbreakers. I can ask him if you'd like.

Jim Koepke
03-07-2010, 12:26 PM
For the lever cap, you may have to settle for what works. If you can get a plain Bailey style for less than $20, you are doing good. Even the ubiquitous #4 & 5 size in good condition will often go for that.

Just now looking in completed sales there weren't any for a #8 lever cap.

If you are patient set up a search for lever cap. The wider the net you cast the more likely you are to find something. I think a Sargent will work. Someone else may be able to answer that.

You will likely be better off buying an aftermarket blade and cap iron.

The post for the knob is the same from 5 and up. The shaft is a #12 size with 20 threads to the inch. Your local hardware store will be very special if they carry such an animal. That is another item that will cost a few bucks.

Trying to restore one plane can be very expensive. Often any single part that is needed will cost almost as much or more than a complete plane. It does not make sense.

The more unique a part, the more it will cost. An original Bedrock lever cap of a size that was only correct for one plane is an odd part. There were not a lot of spares available. To find one means a plane somewhere was no longer useable.

If you are interested in buying bargain planes and fixing them up for users, it may be time to start accumulating parts.

jim

Don Naples
03-07-2010, 2:16 PM
You might try contacting Pete Niederberger at pniederber@aol.com
He has lots of replacement parts for an incredible number of plane types. He is also a great guy with which to do business. He also regularly tools posts on ebay, so you can contact him that way as well.

Josh Bowman
03-07-2010, 7:30 PM
And where have you found the chip-breaker for $5?

Maybe it's a $36 chip=breaker ;).

Brian,
Wish I could find one for that. Stanley Parts sells them up to #7.""Cap Iron (6 & 7) Code : 12-007L-19_09-A-12 Sale Price : $5.05"
:)