PDA

View Full Version : Performaz Drum Sander

Jerry Bittner
11-02-2004, 10:21 PM
Well finally received the Performax 22-44 Plus drum sander. Just getting used to it after a few days of practice but today I put it to use on a sideboard cabinet I'm building.

Very pleased with the operation. No problems what so ever. Tracks beautifully and right out of the box everything appears in alignment. Already saved me hours of work. Guess you can say I love it.

Anybody know the best price on infeed.outfeed tables. After almost getting my finger under a board and between the conveyor belt. I can see where the extended tables can come to good use.

Ted Shrader
11-02-2004, 10:56 PM
Jerry -

Thanks for the feedback on the sander. Have you had the opportunity to sand anything wider than 22" and how di that go? Leave a line in the middle, more taken off one side or the other?

In/Out feed table-> How about shop built?

Regards,
Ted

Jerry Bittner
11-03-2004, 9:19 AM
Nope haven't sanded anything wider than 22". Understand that's a touch operation. Sounds like something I want to practice on before the real thing.

Haven't thought about shop built feed tables. Guess I'm looking for the easy way out since I got so much on the plate now with Christmas projects the missus has lined up.

Thanks for the reply

John Bush
11-03-2004, 9:44 AM
Hi Jerry,
I just got the 16-32 and it works perfectly. I would like to add the extension tables and the caster set but I couldn't find a place or price on the web. I could support the local Woodcraft shop, but they didn't have them in stock and I feel I get a better Price online. This is a good point--if we don't support the local merchants they may not stay local. Let me know what you find out there.

Hi Ted,
I sanded an oak panel and there was vitually no edge left after sanding both sides. I must have lucked out with the set-up which was easy to do. Maybe the smaller machine is easier. I saw a post on one of the forums that shows how to set-up and adjust using a simple battery and flashlight bulb. It was a good was to adjust.
I'm very impressed with the sander. It works as advertised and is going to save a lot of time and add to the quality of the finished projects. Good luck, John

Art Connor
11-03-2004, 11:09 AM
I am pleased to hear that everyone is satisfied with the performance of the Performax drum sanders. I ordered the 16-32 with the outfeed tables and casters about two weeks ago from Amazon. It was shipped in two packages. I received the "head" night before last but the second box, which I assume contains the conveyor and the stand have been sent to "Browns" nether world and no one has a clue where it is. They are tracing it but they said that it would be 5 to 7 working days before they knew anything. Needless to say I am a little anxious. The extention tables and casters were shipped later and it appears that they are making their way to me slowly but surely. If anyone sees half of a Performax 16-32 out there, snag it for me.

Mathew Nedeljko
11-03-2004, 11:13 AM
Hi Jerry, I just received my new 16-32 sander last week and after about 10 hours of set up and 4 phone calls to tech support at Performax I still don't have the thing up and running to my satisfaction. :mad::mad:

After replacing the driven roller on the conveyor belt I've finally got the conveyor tracking, but in order to get the belt to track I've had to loosen the tension on the inboard side to the point that the belt is now buckling so badly as it passes under the drum that I'm sure it will get damaged if I tried to sand thin stock. I've got another phone call in to Performax today and I suspect they will need to send me a new belt.

Anyway, I bought my sander from RAF Supply in Lackawana NY for $699, including the stand, which is the best price I could find anywhere. I also bought the Infeed/outfeed tables for the 16-32 for $71.00, which is also a great deal. They even threw in free shipping for the tables. I'm not sure if they carry the tables for the 22-44, but you could call and find out.

Their website is www.toolsteal.com (http://www.toolsteal.com). I had a great order experience with them and would highly recomend them.

Sorry for the ranting, but I just had to get that off my chest!

Jim Becker
11-03-2004, 9:44 PM
Jerry, if you build your own extension tables, you can make them folding...they take up a LOT of room on both the 16-32 and the 22-44 Plus. (I have the latter and do have the Performax tables) But if you do choose to buy the vendor's infeed/outfeed tables, the price is pretty much the same everywhere. Pick your favorite vendor and buy them. You may need to wait as they are not often stocked.