PDA

View Full Version : Glue question... laminated guitar necks

Bryan Morgan
03-07-2010, 12:20 AM
I am going to put together a laminated guitar neck with rock maple and walnut. What is the strongest glue I should be using for this? I have original Titebond that I use for pretty much everything and I've been happy with it, but not sure if this is strong enough to use for a guitar neck. :confused:

Thanks!

John Coloccia
03-07-2010, 12:46 AM
You can use Titebond for everything on a guitar except plastic binding. I've recently switched to LMII's instrument glue. It's a "white" glue....dries clear and has a longer setup time. Very convenient for joints where it may take a couple of minutes to get it just right. On other joints, I use Titebond when I'm worried things will squirm around as I clamp it. I clamp the Titebond lightly for a couple of minutes and it'll start to grab...then I finish clamping.

John Coloccia
03-07-2010, 12:55 AM
One more thing.....if you plan on using any oily woods (typically the tropical woods like cocobolo), there are a couple of precautions you might take. You may want to sand it a bit before gluing, exposing new surface. The other thing to do is wipe it down with acetone first. When you look at the rag, you'll be shocked at all the oil you take out of the wood. Wipe down, and then immediately glue it up. If you wait, oil will come back up to the surface.

Bryan Morgan
03-07-2010, 1:44 PM
Thanks for the reply! Which Titebond do you use? Original or one of the others?

John Coloccia
03-07-2010, 5:44 PM
The original.

Cary Falk
03-07-2010, 8:22 PM
I used Elmers wood glue on mine. It has been over 2 years with no issues
http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q297/caryincamas/th_DSC_0318.jpg