PDA

View Full Version : No.2 Could Have Been A Continder...

James Combs
03-06-2010, 8:59 PM
Well... according to the LOML it has character.:rolleyes: The shapes not bad but for me it has too much character, mold/mildew that is.:( This is from the same tree as the chalice but it had been lying in a wood pile since who knows when. Apparently wood piles promote mold/mildew growth.:eek: The plus side is it was great practice.

David E Keller
03-06-2010, 9:09 PM
Looks like somebody's having fun making wood smaller and rounder. :) I like the moldy/spalted stuff... nothing wrong with a little wood pile magic.

John Keeton
03-06-2010, 9:14 PM
JD, it does have character, and looks like some spalting starting there. Sort of reminds me of some forms of flower pots.

James Combs
03-06-2010, 9:22 PM
Well if it had been in straight lines and not just gray blotchy areas I wouldn't have minded. I haven't thrown it into the fire yet. I dowsed it with some bleach water for the night. I am hoping it will tone it down a little. If it does I will continue, but...

Looks like somebody's having fun making wood smaller and rounder. :) I like the moldy/spalted stuff... nothing wrong with a little wood pile magic.

JD, it does have character, and looks like some spalting starting there. Sort of reminds me of some forms of flower pots.

Baxter Smith
03-06-2010, 10:42 PM
There was a thread on here about spalting your own wood a while ago. I have not done it, but it is possible to turn something then bury it in some leaves with moisture for a couple months to let it spalt some more. Might be an interesting thing to try with this piece if you don't care for the way it is now.

Bernie Weishapl
03-06-2010, 11:19 PM
Definitely has character for sure. The spalting looks good.

Steve Schlumpf
03-07-2010, 11:07 AM
James - that is a very unique form! The wood has some nice color variation to it which a lot of folks like in their turnings. Seeing as how this is a learning experience - just have fun with it!

Let us know if the bleach changed anything!

James Combs
03-07-2010, 9:37 PM
I think it helped it lot. It looks good enough (to me) :D to finish now. It took a lot of the greyness away but it still looks... what ever that look is. Will post photos of the finished bowl as soon as it is done. Got a customer pen to do first. Its one I haven't made before, a Churchill fountain pen, and it is made from TruStone a material I haven't used before so I have to make a couple prototypes from wood to make sure I get the assembly right. I will post them too when I get them done. It will be a day or two before I get back to the bowl.

James - that is a very unique form! The wood has some nice color variation to it which a lot of folks like in their turnings. Seeing as how this is a learning experience - just have fun with it!

Let us know if the bleach changed anything!