PDA

View Full Version : Jeff Nicol Steadyrest

Ray Bell
03-06-2010, 8:52 PM
Hi Folks,

I ordered and received this steady from Jeff. Now I have never used, or even seen one of these before, but can't imagine a more functional unit. Jeff was very responsive to all questions, during and after the build. The fit and finish is very nice, and it works great. As you can see this is a small vase I am using it on, but the steady has lots of room to grow. I highly recommend this steady if you need one.

I also bought a hollowing tool from Jeff. Haven't used it yet, but it looks nice

Ray

David E Keller
03-06-2010, 8:55 PM
Looks good... Nice color match to the main machine. I got one of these on my never ending wish list.

Steve Vaughan
03-06-2010, 8:56 PM
That's way cool there. Does he have a website?

Paul Douglass
03-06-2010, 9:18 PM
I got to look at Ray's today. It is a super looking piece of equipment. Makes me think the maybe I don't want to build one, just maybe I want to save up and bu....buu... buy one..

John Keeton
03-06-2010, 9:19 PM
Congrats Ray!! Jeff is a super guy. I have one of his steadys and the hollowing tool as well, and I have also purchased some nice bowl blanks from him. Talented turner, tool maker, and a great deer hunter!!

Ray Bell
03-06-2010, 10:25 PM
Steve, he does have a website. It's thewoodennicol.com. Very easy person to work with.
Paul, thanks for stopping by. It is always nice to see you. We have to get together, and build something.
John, I have seen pictures of your wood blanks from Jeff. I have an inquiry in to him now for the same type of blanks.

Ted Calver
03-06-2010, 10:31 PM
You can count me in as another very satisfied customer. Jeff was great to work with.

lynn smith
03-06-2010, 10:48 PM
I tried to get to his website with no success.
Any ideas.
I like the looks of the steadyrest.
Thanks

Baxter Smith
03-06-2010, 10:53 PM
Just tried to access the website as well with no luck. Nice looking rest!

Ray Bell
03-06-2010, 11:07 PM
hummmm... don't know. I just looked at his site a day or two ago. Jeff is a Creeker, so maybe he will chime in here, or maybe he's out deer hunting.

Bernie Weishapl
03-06-2010, 11:15 PM
Congrats Ray. Nice looking steady there. Jeff is a good guy for sure and does excellent work.

Ray Bell
03-07-2010, 1:11 AM
Thanks Bernie, still haven't used the vacuum chuck yet. Will post photos when I do.

Jeff Nicol
03-07-2010, 7:46 AM
Ray, Thanks for your great review and the pictures are great. This gives me a great opportunity to tell everyone that I had to shut down my website as it was getting to be too much work for me to put out every thing and try and keep turning also. I still am going to be making the steady rests but on a smaller scale. My body is falling apart on me and it is harder and harder to get things done. I want to provide great tools to people but without the pressure of fast turn around. So in the future if anyone wants something from me just send me a PM and we can work things out. I may put some on e-bay of the most popular sizes and see how that goes. I wish it did not have to be this way but my body has different plans.

Feel free to contact me with a PM anytime,

Jeff

Ray Bell
03-07-2010, 2:34 PM
Hi Jeff, sorry to hear about the body pains, believe me I know what you are talking about. Seems as I get older everyday I get up something else hurts. I hope I didn't put any added pressure on you by posting the steady. It is such a nice product though, I thought I should brag on it. Maybe ditching the website, and just building "word of mouth" is the way to go. Also establish shipment times (3wks.,1 mo., 2 mo., ?) at time of order. Anyway take it easy, spring is on the way, and I know a little sun on my old bones always feels so much better.

Ray

Jeff Fagen
03-07-2010, 7:11 PM
Jeff.I know a great chiropractor in Eau Claire,works wonders on me.

Matt Owen
03-08-2010, 1:32 PM
Ray,

How much noise does the steady rest make? I made my own steady, and it works fine, but is extremely noisy, even at only 500 rpm. If Jeff's is quieter, I may use his video to build my own. Thanks,

Matt

Ray Bell
03-08-2010, 2:12 PM
Matt,

It is quiet. Only a pleasant little whirring noise when all four wheels are turning.

Jeff Nicol
03-09-2010, 6:43 AM
Jeff.I know a great chiropractor in Eau Claire,works wonders on me.
Jeff, What I have is not fixable through chiropractic care. Here is what I have and what it looks like. http://www.spineuniverse.com/conditions/spondylolisthesis/spondylolisthesis

I have to try an keep my stomach muscles strong to keep everything pushed back in towards the back, but with my tore up shoulders sometimes I don't feel like much excercising!

Stop in anytime you are around town or give me a call.

Jeff

Bob Haverstock
03-09-2010, 8:06 AM
Last January I got my new steady rest from Jeff. I had ordered it to fit my JWL 1220. It works like a dream.

As a retired toolmaker, I can say that Jeff's product has strength where it is needed. His design is straight forward and doest not requre a tool set to adjust, only one hex key is needed. I don't believe that I could drive to town purchase the components, weld the parts up, paint it, and save enough money to buy a pizza.

Now I have a Nova 1624. "I've shot my wad" so to speak and the only thing left in my pocket is lint. I made a quick and dirty wooden riser and a new clamp plate for the Nicol steady rest. Now, I'm using the Nicol steady rest on both lathes as needed. I hope to order a new one for the Nova sometime in the future, as my 1220 will staying the family and be passed down to my son.

Jeff, thank you for providing an excellent product.

Bob Haverstock