PDA

View Full Version : Delta DJ20 Jointer question

Frank Gilbert
03-06-2010, 8:37 PM
Brazilian 1990 model hooked up today and followed the instructions as to setting the cutter head and taking 1/8" cuts. Edge jointed and then planed a 3' x 6". The board was cupped maybe 1/8" inch. This was fun and the machine was smooth as I expected, however, something is amiss. The edge would not square even after many passes and planing resulted in snipe ( choppy uneven cut ) on the last four inches. The machine is barely used and looks great so the issue is likely the operator.

Mike Archambeau
03-06-2010, 9:08 PM
I would check to see if the outfeed table is at the same height as the blades. Then set the infeed table only slightly below the knives to take a very small cut. Set up this way, you can focus on shifting your weight onto the outfeed table as soon as enough of the board you are feeding through is on the outfeed table.

Frank Gilbert
03-06-2010, 9:18 PM
Thanks. I will check on it. I used a straight edge and a .015 feeler gauge thought it was correct, however, your suggestion makes sense as it has to be something simple.

Thomas Canfield
03-06-2010, 9:21 PM
I use an aluminum straight edge as a check for the blades height and set the blades so that they barely touch the straight edge cause it to drag while moving turning the blades by hand. Setting the blades below the outfeed table will result in the wood hitting the outfeed edge. Setting the blades above the outfeed will result in the snipe and also not getting the straight plane on the board.

Thomas Canfield
03-06-2010, 9:27 PM
I use an aluminum straight edge as a check for the blades height and set the blades so that they barely touch the straight edge cause it to drag while moving turning the blades by hand. Setting the blades below the outfeed table will result in the wood hitting the outfeed edge. Setting the blades above the outfeed will result in the snipe and also not getting the straight plane on the board.

There are more professional ways of setting the blades, but this is the simplist and has worked for me. One of these days I may use my dial indicators.

Frank Gilbert
03-06-2010, 9:49 PM
Thanks very much.

Ben Franz
03-06-2010, 10:08 PM
I have the same vintage DJ-20 (maybe 1988 or 89) and Mike's suggestion is probably dead on. My outfeed table was a little low and the machine made the most perfect cuts anyway - well, as long as you don't want a straight board. Pretty easy adjustment made everything peachy.

Frank Gilbert
03-07-2010, 6:36 PM
Thanks all for the advice. I spent the day taking the cleaning and resetting the knives.
A lesson for me was next time I will check the adjustments first and not assume too much.

Frank