PDA

View Full Version : Two Bowls

Nick Fournier
03-06-2010, 8:20 PM
So, I'm pretty new to turning -- I started in late October -- and just discovered this forum. Anyway, I'm trying to get better and I figure one way to do that would be to post some pics of two of my latest efforts and get some feedback.

The first bowl is obviously spalted, but I don't know what it is beyond that. It was a random block of wood from woodcraft. Anyway, this bowl turned out the way I wanted, except that I got quite a bit of tearout. I think it was just a combination of the differences in densities and my tool not being sharp enough.

The second bowl was out of a piece of what I think is walnut. I picked up a pick-up full of wood from a guy and this was just a random piece. I like the worm holes and the knot. I also tried out my Sherrill hollowing tool and really enjoy it. Now, my question is how do I sand the inside of a deeper bowl like this? My fingers weren't long enough to get to the bottom of the bowl, so is there a better way to do this?

Let me know what you think.

John Keeton
03-06-2010, 8:40 PM
Nick, welcome to the creek!! Looks like you have a couple of nice bowls there. The first bowl looks like spalted maple, and the second one I doubt is walnut - perhaps butternut, but it seems a little light for that. A larger pic with a close up might help.

Not sure what to tell you on sanding deep. I know there are tools out there specifically for that, but I do not own one.

Look forward to seeing more of your stuff!!

Steve Vaughan
03-06-2010, 9:01 PM
You've done a great job there. And, I feel it pulling you in deeper and deeper from here! I agree on the spalted maple...not so sure on that other one. Keep at it!

David E Keller
03-06-2010, 9:05 PM
Pretty spalted piece with a nice, utilitarian shape. Spalted wood can be a little tough to get a fine finish even with a really sharp tool. You can stiffen the fibers a little with shellac or sanding sealer before your final pass... sometimes that helps. I'm not afraid to use a little coarse sandpaper either.

I do the majority of my sanding on the lathe with a drill and sanding pad. If that won't fit into the piece, you can wrap sandpaper around a dowel and use that. Be careful sticking your fingers into a spinning piece...

Steve Mawson
03-06-2010, 9:07 PM
Nick,
Welcome to the Creek. Great folks here with a ton of knowledge and all willing to help, continue to help me all the time. Agree with John on the wood ID, Walnut would need to be darker. Can't help much on the deep sanding as I have not made anything that deep that did not have a wider top where my hand would fit in. I do have a two inch sanding disk that I use on a drill. I don't know why you could not put an extension on it to get deeper. As for form-look at all the work posted here and you will get a very good idea of what works for those folks, although there is nothing to stop you from making anything that looks good to you.

James Combs
03-06-2010, 9:14 PM
Welcome aboard Nick. I am new here myself and have found a ton of good information not to mention some great people. I have mainly turned pens and am just now trying my luck at bowls so we are in the same boat there. Just keep at it, it gets easier, I hope.

Roland Martin
03-06-2010, 9:22 PM
Nice bowls Nick & welcome aboard. The spalted maple is certainly a very nice chunk of wood. Like John, I would think probably butternut, way to light in color for walnut.
I just started turning in December myself and joined up here in January. This is an absolutely great place to learn and all the folks here are genuinly good people, all here for the same purpose.

George Morris
03-06-2010, 9:29 PM
Nice bowls Nick! Do us a favor and put what state you live in in your profile. Go on the AAW web site and search for a wood turning club in your area. That is by far the best and easiest way to learn and get help.

You are falling into a bottomless pit with wood turning,but it is exciting and fun. Good luck! George

Nick Fournier
03-06-2010, 10:29 PM
Thanks for all the comments. I've gone ahead and updated my profile to include my location. As for the local club, it's the Central Texas Woodturners and I'm definitely looking forward to attending as soon as I graduate from my MBA program. The club meets Tuesday night which is the same night as my class.

Baxter Smith
03-06-2010, 10:36 PM
Nice job Nick. I find it interesting to look at the galleries of work that people have done. You can get there by going to the turners forum then clicking on the 5th line down called Turners Photo Galleries. Some you will like, some you won't, and many you won't have a clue as to how they did it!:)

Bernie Weishapl
03-06-2010, 11:21 PM
Welcome Nick to SMC. Really nice looking bowls. I do like the first one with the spalting.

Allen Neighbors
03-07-2010, 8:24 AM
Now, my question is how do I sand the inside of a deeper bowl like this? My fingers weren't long enough to get to the bottom of the bowl, so is there a better way to do this?
Let me know what you think.

Nick, I shaped a sort of ball shape on the end of a 1.5" dia shaft about 10" long. I then used contact cement to stick some velcro to the ball. Now I just use Vince's disks. Works pretty well.
Different shapes for different curvatures on the bottoms.
For hollowforms, I have a tumbler that I attach them to, and put chunks of Silicone Carbide and rocks into. And that tumbles them smooth. It also takes away the softer wood quicker than the harder wood.:eek:

gary Zimmel
03-07-2010, 10:31 AM
Welcome to the Creek Nick! Good to have you aboard.
Lots of great info here...
Nice job on the bowls. That first one sure has some nice spalting.

Steve Schlumpf
03-07-2010, 10:44 AM
Nick - Welcome to the Creek!

One of the hardest things to do is post your first time! Congrats - you got that out of the way! All of us here are learning how to turn - so have recently been through what you are just starting to experience. It is a lot of fun but can be frustrating when you are self-taught.

Best advice is to join a local club - which you have already checked into - and the next bit of advice is to post your work, ask for opinions, suggestions, etc. Just my personal experience but I found that the more I participated - the faster I learned.

Have fun turning and ask lots of questions - it is why we are here!