PDA

View Full Version : One mean Fiddle!!!!

Guy Mathews
03-06-2010, 7:05 PM
Can switching to Gieco really save you 15% or more on car insurance?

Does Guy Mathews carve a mean fiddle on a CNC machine?

Start with some good stock.

Cut away the rough stuff.

Set the outside thickness for the sides with a good sharp bit.

Flip it over and set the inside wall thickness, and hog out the inside.

Get her cleaned up real good on the inside.

Flip her over again and do the front.

Mortise out for a bridge.

Cut off anything that doesn't look like a fiddle.

That's how you do it son!:cool:

Bob Savage
03-06-2010, 9:07 PM
Yeah! That's beautful, Guy.

You probably don't know it, but I play a little fiddle myself. Not that kind of fiddle. It's more like the one Hendrix played, nonetheless, I love to see these type of projects.

Bruce Page
03-06-2010, 9:22 PM
Everyone should have a machine like that!

Very cool

james mcgrew
03-07-2010, 9:32 AM
now that is good!!

jim

AL Ursich
03-07-2010, 11:33 AM
Excellent WORK !!!!!

AL

Sandy Smith
03-08-2010, 7:59 AM
Guy,
Thanks for the pictures. Very cool design.

What wood is that?

Michael Kowalczyk
03-08-2010, 5:33 PM
Hey Guy,
Thanks for the play by play action there but you forgot one thing....

Where is Charlie Daniels???

Steve knight
03-08-2010, 11:08 PM
yes cool but what is up only making one at a time?

Guy Mathews
03-09-2010, 7:39 AM
Bob,

Thanks. One thing though, I thought Hendrix played The Stars Bangled Banner not the fiddle!:D

Bruce,

Thanks man. Always nice to hear from a moderator. The machine is 250K so not everyone will have one!:D Also, the machine doesn't mean anything. I can make these 10 at a time on this machine or individually on a CAMaster, ShopBot, Thermwood, CNTMotionMaster, Techno, X-Factory, Multi-CAM or whatever. I have stated many times, the machines are just stupid pieces of metal and electronics. As long as it can follow code accurately, I can make it dance to my tune.

Jim,

What can I say Jim, it was cool project to proof and you know me, if I can parodize something, I will!

Al,

Thank you. When you coming for another visit? I have some more exciting stuff going on to share with you!

Sandy,

Thanks, not my design though. A new customer provided the design. I am just doing the CAD and CAM operations. The wood is maple. Productions runs will be in Curly Maple. I am using 12/4 that will be split proprtionately and matched up so the backs and the bodies come from the same piece of wood with only about 3/16ths of an inch of kerf missing from the wood. This way, the grains will make it appear that the violin/fiddle was always there within the tree, I just removed the rough stuff!:rolleyes:

Mike,

Tennesee of course! As the song says... "and all the good folks down in Tennesee, are digging Barefoot Jerry and the CDB!

Steve,

Thank you man. How you been? To answer your question about why only one. Let me ask you a question. Did you ever break a bit running a new program? Imagine that times 10!!!:eek:

This was the proof operation. It is also the second proof. The first proof exploded or shattered in the final passes of the machining. I changed the toolpath strategies and the second run worked well. However, I am changing one more cut strategy prior to production.

I will video at the customer's request the production run of this project. If Charlie Daniels would be so kind, I would love to use some of his music for background sound but alas, that will probably never happen in my lifetime!

More to come on this project in the coming weeks.

Guy

Nicholas Bukky
03-09-2010, 8:23 AM
Guy,
Very cool project. Will you guys do the finishing of them as well? Is there more routing for the string pegs,bridge etc or will your customer install the hardware.
Again cool project. I would have liked to see video of the one blowing up:eek:

Thanks for sharing!
Nick

Gene Crain
03-09-2010, 8:38 AM
Nice closeups of the "fiddle"...but how 'bout a few shots of the chipmaker...ahhh the machine :eek:

Gene Crain
plantasymaderas DOT com
cnczacatitos DOT com

Michael Kowalczyk
03-09-2010, 11:57 AM
Hey Guy,
If Geico can get him you got a 50/50 chance. I would check into it. Worse thing that could happen is he says no. Best thing could be it goes viral on YouTube and the phone and email start smoking;)

Brandon MacDougall
03-11-2010, 1:57 AM
Wow! I have spindle envy.. I video of that baby loaded and cutting would be sweet..

Guy Mathews
03-11-2010, 6:18 AM
Wow! I have spindle envy.. I video of that baby loaded and cutting would be sweet..

Brandon,

This may help with the spindle envy until I cut all 10 sometime next week.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xtd-xFukZQ4

Nice work with that Carvewright!!!!

Guy

Brandon MacDougall
03-11-2010, 5:11 PM
Thanks Guy,

Your violin looks sweet so far, Did you use visual mill?

LG

AL Ursich
03-11-2010, 6:58 PM
How lucky I am having Guy in my backyard...... Time for another visit....

The multi head video will be hot... Look forward to it...

AL

Guy Mathews
03-11-2010, 7:14 PM
Thanks Guy,

Your violin looks sweet so far, Did you use visual mill?

LG

Rhino for my CAD work and Visual Mill 6.0 Pro for my CAM work. I have and use a mess of other software. The right tools for the right job sort of thing!

Also, not my violin. This is for a new customer. I bid the job last year and was outbid by a company in Canada, the job came up again this year, I bid again and got the job.

Guy

Khalid Khattak
03-12-2010, 5:21 AM
Very Nice Guy:).. I liked the Fiddle..
Regards

Brandon MacDougall
03-12-2010, 12:09 PM
Did you get that CNC just for the job? approximately how long to mill one body? love to see more pictures..

Brandon MacDougall
04-10-2010, 6:32 AM
Hi Guy,
I would love to qet a idea of how this project is going. ;)

I hoping my questions did not demo this thread, I am not realy into solid body construction that your showing but would like to get a better understanding of farming out this type of work to people like yourself...

Guy Mathews
04-10-2010, 7:12 AM
Hi Guy,
I would love to qet a idea of how this project is going. ;)

I hoping my questions did not demo this thread, I am not realy into solid body construction that your showing but would like to get a better understanding of farming out this type of work to people like yourself...

No, the questions did not demo the thread! LOL! The customer recieved the sample and was quite pleased. However, between my quest for perfection and his desire to have the neck more slender to enable him to finish the piece quicker I am changing milling strategies to accomadate this. When I program, I use any milling strategy that is available to me to get the products off the machine so that the end result means less finish time. Sometimes this means running more then one sample to tune the code.

Machine time is always important, but for this machine I always divide machine time numbers by 10 and try to find an optimum time that will balance machine and hand finishing so customers do not have to spend more time then needed to finish a product.

Guy

Brandon MacDougall
08-18-2011, 11:56 AM
Bump- I love to see a video of the beast running.

AL Ursich
08-18-2011, 5:00 PM
Lucky Me.... I am just a a few miles away and saw it in action once... If I can get caught up here, I would love to Visit again. Still working 7 days a week...

AL:eek: