PDA

View Full Version : Knee switch for Sawstop PCS

Keith Albertson
03-06-2010, 6:33 PM
Anybody out there figure out a way to make a "knee switch" for a Sawstop PCS to turn the saw off without using your hands? I've gotten very used to the aftermarket big switch I installed on my old delta contractor. Just started making sawdust yesterday with the new Sawstop and realized it wouldn't turn off when i kneed it (pun intended!).

Has anyone got a plan, rough sketch, or website for a "hands-free" off switch that would do the trick?

Thanks.

John Coloccia
03-06-2010, 6:48 PM
Every SawStop I ever saw has a big paddle switch designed to shut off with your knee. Are you looking for something else instead?

Van Huskey
03-06-2010, 6:50 PM
Anybody out there figure out a way to make a "knee switch" for a Sawstop PCS to turn the saw off without using your hands? I've gotten very used to the aftermarket big switch I installed on my old delta contractor. Just started making sawdust yesterday with the new Sawstop and realized it wouldn't turn off when i kneed it (pun intended!).

Has anyone got a plan, rough sketch, or website for a "hands-free" off switch that would do the trick?

Thanks.

The woodwhisper's pod cast called the king and his castle (or something like that) shows his on a PM, nothing but a hinge and a long piece of wood that goes to the floor, should be adaptable to the PCS

Paul Ryan
03-06-2010, 7:00 PM
The sawstop switch is able and designed to be swtiched off by your knee, but it takes considerably more force than most magnetic switches. The force needed to switch off the padle on the PCS was one of my complaints to them before general production began. They changed the insides of the switch to a magnetic design, compared to what they shipped out with the field test saws. All the field testers were sent the new switches but they operated the same as the old ones. It isn't that big of a deal but if you are used to just being able to bump your old swtich, these take some getting used to. The big honkers that the schools use are really nice but would be very difficult to modify to use on the sawstop, due to SS design.

Keith Albertson
03-06-2010, 10:28 PM
Paul, I have one of those "Big Honkers" on my old saw, and really liked it.
But I can't think of any way to hook it up to the sawstop that won't be really complicated or risk screwing up the electronics.

John, the big paddle is only about 4 inches in diameter, and mounted pretty high up and to the left. It's a reach for me, especially since I stand to the right of the blade, and being over 50, I'm not as supple as I used to be. I think Sawstop could do a better job making the switch a bigger target, and locate it more centrally.

Van, thanks for the heads up on the podcast. I'll check it out.

Keith.

Van Huskey
03-06-2010, 10:39 PM
Hmm, never thought about the folks that work on the right side of the blade, you have to cross the line of fire to get to most saws off switch. If that were the case for me I think I might wire a switch on that side to cut the power off prior to it ever getting into the saw (a disconnect if you will). On a standard saw I would just move the magswitch on a SS not knowing what it might do to the electronics and where the power was needed even with the switch off I would wire a second switch as a disconnect and just use it when I really needed the power off without moving or usng my hands. You would then have to cut both swtches on to get up back up though.

Keith Albertson
03-06-2010, 10:45 PM
That's a great idea Van. I think I'll call SawStop customer service before I try it though. I don't want to fire off the cartridge and ruin a blade at the same time..........I'll see if a "kill switch" would be a problem to how the saw's elecdtronics work.

Van Huskey
03-06-2010, 11:02 PM
That's a great idea Van. I think I'll call SawStop customer service before I try it though. I don't want to fire off the cartridge and ruin a blade at the same time..........I'll see if a "kill switch" would be a problem to how the saw's elecdtronics work.

Can't hurt to ask BUT I am sure there would not be a problem, just like if the breaker threw or the power went out which I am sure they considered in the design. I personally would not TOUCH the wiring once it was inside that saw, but I can't see how cutting the power before it reached the saw would be a problem.

Paul Ryan
03-06-2010, 11:12 PM
That is going to be a real pain though. Every time you cut the power you will have to go through the test process of the saw when you power it back up. And 2nd if you cut the power to the saw while the blade is running I am pretty sure you will disable the saftey feature during "coast down". I would try to move the switch instead. I thing that would be easier. Call sawstop as about moving the switch. I have taken my box apart a couple of times. I think you could figure out how to move the switch.

Van Huskey
03-07-2010, 12:51 AM
That is going to be a real pain though. Every time you cut the power you will have to go through the test process of the saw when you power it back up. And 2nd if you cut the power to the saw while the blade is running I am pretty sure you will disable the saftey feature during "coast down". I would try to move the switch instead. I thing that would be easier. Call sawstop as about moving the switch. I have taken my box apart a couple of times. I think you could figure out how to move the switch.

Hmm thats an interesting question about coast down. I would think they would have addressed that in the event of power failure, with full power out and lights off in a dark shop that would be a good time to be protected. When someone gets this answer please post it. I would email them but not beng a customer nor potential customer I hate to waste someones time.

Keith Albertson
03-07-2010, 11:19 AM
I'll try and get a hold of them on Monday and post their answers.

John Coloccia
03-07-2010, 11:49 AM
It says right in the manual that if you turn it off, it will not be protected.

Paul Ryan
03-07-2010, 3:14 PM
Sawstop would need to have very large capacitors or a battery back up to run the sensor and relase the brake if the power was shut off.

Jason White
03-07-2010, 3:33 PM
Sure.

Just stick your knee into the spinning blade. It'll shut down immediately. :D

Thanks.